Danno

MEL GIBSON working on new movie... w/ Jewish theme.

55 posts in this topic

Apocalypto

This one movie has given entire Anthropology departments migraines. Sure the Maya did have the odd human sacrifice but not to Kulkulkan, the Sun God, and only high-ranking captives taken in battle were killed. The conquistadors arriving at the end of the film made for unlikely saviors: an estimated 90% of indigenous American population was killed by smallpox from their infected livestock.

Braveheart

Let's forget the fact that kilts weren't worn in Scotland until about 300 years after William Wallace's day and just do some simple math. According to the movie, Wallace's blue-eyed charm at the Battle of Falkirk was so overpowering, he seduced King Edward II's wife, Isabella of France, and the result of their affair was Edward III. But according to the history books, Isabella was three years old at the time of Falkirk, and Edward III was born seven years after Wallace died.

The Patriot

Revolutionary War figure Francis "The Swamp Fox" Marion was the basis for Mel Gibson's character, but he wasn't the forward-thinking family man they show in the flick. He was a slave owner who didn't get married (to his cousin) until after the war was over. Historians also say that he actively persecuted and murdered native Cherokees. Plus, the thrilling Battle of Guilford Court House where he vanquishes his British nemesis? In reality, the Americans lost that one.

I could keep going but I really can't be bothered, not my problem if you want to believe Mels movies.

NB: Many movies are embellished or downright alter history to make thing more exciting. JFK anyone? Mel just seems to have a particulary flagrant track record.

Historical FICTION based on events that could've happened... or didn't happen.

Doesn't necessarily mean it's inaccurate.

The Patriot was also questionable because some of the events depicted showed war crimes allegedly committed by British soldiers which were taken from incidents supposedly perpetrated by the Nazis in WW2.

Apparently you're not familiar with the war. Attrocities were commited on both sides.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Documented atrocities in context of the original conflict. You can't take atrocities committed in other wars by other people and make out that they were committed by a different army in a different war.

The Patriot is not a historical piece though, it is fiction.

Edited by fishdude

Documented atrocities in context of the original conflict. You can't take atrocities committed in other wars by other people and make out that they were committed by a different army in a different war.

Redcoats put to death anyone in homes firing upon them in the very first battle of the war. It's not like it got "better" after that.

The Patriot is not a historical piece though, it is fiction.

And it's "close enough" to events that actually happened. To say it's historically inaccurate is inaccurate. Historically, it is accurate. Specifically? Maybe not so much and that's where the fiction comes in.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

If it's close enough according to historians, then it is historically accurate.

If it's merely close enough according to you. Sorry, no.

What if I'm an historian?

Русский форум член.

You're not.

Would you like to check my credentials?

Русский форум член.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Either is correct, although 'an historian' is preferred, given that the stress falls on the second syllable. Point to slim. However, there is ongoing debate on the subject so I wouldn't consider it settled.

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=84850

the system is:

if the stress does not fall on the first syllable, then an rather than a is used. The h is not silent.

a history of England.

an historical timeline.

an historian of note

a hysterisis curve

an hysterical outburst

a hospital

an hospitible working environment

Just to be different, in BE the h in herb is not silent,

so in BE a herb, in AE an herb (silent h)

a herb (pronounce the h in BE)

an herbarium (pronounce the h in BE)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Historical FICTION based on events that could've happened... or didn't happen.

Doesn't necessarily mean it's inaccurate.

If it's a story about a fictional character set in during the revolutionary war then I would agree with you. When the people and the events are pure fiction it cannot be described as innacurate, which in the case of the Patriot is partially true. If however the people and their acts depicted are real and altered for entertainment sake then it is historically inaccurate. Even if thecontext and the background events are real but altered for entertainment value then it is historically innacurate in that respect.

They get around it by 'loosely basing' it on real people and real events. A slight of hand.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

nono.gif

one personal insult removed along with several quoting

Edited by charles!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If it's a story about a fictional character set in during the revolutionary war then I would agree with you. When the people and the events are pure fiction it cannot be described as innacurate, which in the case of the Patriot is partially true. If however the people and their acts depicted are real and altered for entertainment sake then it is historically inaccurate. Even if thecontext and the background events are real but altered for entertainment value then it is historically innacurate in that respect.

They get around it by 'loosely basing' it on real people and real events. A slight of hand.

Look folks, this is a Mel Gibson Movie, not a Ken Burns production.. surely the expectation for precise detail would be a bit lower...no?

While some might have high expectations I would wager the average person is looking for entertainment with historical context as the vehicle.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Timeline

While some might have high expectations I would wager the average person is looking for entertainment with historical context as the vehicle.

Yes, and I don't think the average person even cares if the context being used to deliver the entertainment is accurate or precise.

Edited by \