RandyN

Montreal Interviews

173 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Does AOS have to be received by 90 days or postmarked by 90 days? The wedding date we have chose will cut it REALLY close! A quick reply is appreciated :)

I <3 MARC

* AUGUST 2008 - met online

* MARCH 2009 - start dating

* MAY 27, 2009 - Said "I Love You"

* SEPTEMBER 18, 2009 - met in person

* JUNE 18, 2010 – He Proposed!

* JULY 26, 2010 – He returned to Canada to start the visa process

* SEPTEMBER 2010 - I-129-F Application (k-1) sent

* OCTOBER 3-9, 2010 - To Canada to Visit Marc

* DECEMBER 27- JANUARY 4, 2011 - To Canada to Visit Marc

* FEBRUARY 15-22, 2011 - To Canada to Visit Marc

* APRIL 2011- Packet 3 Received

* JUNE 3-9 - To Canada to Visit Marc

* JULY 2011 – Sent Packet 3 to Montreal

* AUGUST 1, 2011 - Packet 4 Received

* AUGUST 5, 2011 – MRV Fee Paid – tried to schedule and apt. – None available.

* SEPTEMBER 30 - OCTOBER 5, 2011 - To Canada to Visit Marc

* OCTOBER 13, 2011 - Interview FINALLY Scheduled

* NOVEMBER 17, 2011 - Medical Exam

* ARRIVED IN CANADA TO GO TO THE INTERVIEW WITH MARC

* NOVEMBER 22, 2011 - Interview in Montreal

* DECEMBER 2, 2011 - POE - Houlton, Maine

* DECEMBER 14, 2011 - Courthouse Wedding.

* FEBRUARY 25, 2012 - The "REAL WEDDING"!!

0gIzm5.png

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No, AOS does not have to be within 90 days, only your marriage has to be within the 90 days. You can take your time with AOS although the sooner the better (so the fiance can get a job and whatnot).

However, ROC (removal of conditions), HAS to be applied for within a certain time period (I think it's two years from the date you receive your first green card- and it comes with a big fee too, not as big as AOS though.) The first green card you get from AOS is good for two years, so you have to apply for a second one at the end of the two years, and that green card is good for 10 years. You DO NOT get a grace period with ROC though, so make sure you're prepared for it.

Be super careful to make sure you get married within 90 days- it's really important! If you miss the 90 day mark for marriage it can screw everything up. Remember you can get legally married before you have the wedding. My husband and I got legally married ASAP and we decided we'll have our "real" wedding much later, when we have enough money saved up and time to plan it out.

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

Whew! What a HUGE relief! Thank you so much for the info :)

I <3 MARC

0gIzm5.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Over in another thread, people are starting to share that they've received notices for their interviews. So far, two in the UK, one in Norway, and one in Phillipines were scheduled today for interviews in December. Lucky ducks...

I hope this bodes well for Montreal as well!

USC attempting to obtain GC for Canadian husband

event.png

Apr 11, 2011: I-130 filed
Jul 11, 2011: I-130 approved
Aug 18, 2011: NVC process begins
Oct 6, 2011: NVC process completed
Nov 4, 2011: Interview date assigned
Dec 2, 2011: Interview at Consulate (Result: AP - No reason given on 221g)
Feb 7, 2012: Passport requested by Consulate
(...Husband needed passport for personal reasons during this time...)
Apr 9, 2012: Passport mailed to Consulate
Apr 25, 2012: Visa issued
May 1, 2012: Visa in hand
May 31, 2012: POE at Montreal's Trudeau Airport
Early July: Physical Green Card received in mail. Yes, it's green!

March 13, 2014: ROC filed (went to VSC)

March 17, 2014: NOA

April 22, 2014: Biometrics appointment

December 9, 2014: Case inquiry initiated

December 11, 2014: Response: "The processing of your case has been delayed. A check of our records establishes that your case is not yet ready for decision, as the required security checks remain pending."

March 14, 2014: Received NOA that approval had been given on March 10; expect new GC within 60 days.

Timeline

Quoting myself, it did indeed "bode well," because this morning we received notice that my husband's interview was scheduled for December 2! I am so relieved. The nebulous cloud of not-knowing has been lifted. We'll do the footwork, and then leave the rest up to the consulate. We're in the home-stretch!!

USC attempting to obtain GC for Canadian husband

event.png

Apr 11, 2011: I-130 filed
Jul 11, 2011: I-130 approved
Aug 18, 2011: NVC process begins
Oct 6, 2011: NVC process completed
Nov 4, 2011: Interview date assigned
Dec 2, 2011: Interview at Consulate (Result: AP - No reason given on 221g)
Feb 7, 2012: Passport requested by Consulate
(...Husband needed passport for personal reasons during this time...)
Apr 9, 2012: Passport mailed to Consulate
Apr 25, 2012: Visa issued
May 1, 2012: Visa in hand
May 31, 2012: POE at Montreal's Trudeau Airport
Early July: Physical Green Card received in mail. Yes, it's green!

March 13, 2014: ROC filed (went to VSC)

March 17, 2014: NOA

April 22, 2014: Biometrics appointment

December 9, 2014: Case inquiry initiated

December 11, 2014: Response: "The processing of your case has been delayed. A check of our records establishes that your case is not yet ready for decision, as the required security checks remain pending."

March 14, 2014: Received NOA that approval had been given on March 10; expect new GC within 60 days.

Timeline

Anyone else have an interview on the 22nd? Ours is at 8:00 am. What time do the doors open?

I <3 MARC

0gIzm5.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Anyone else have an interview on the 22nd? Ours is at 8:00 am. What time do the doors open?

They open at 7:30 but you will want to get there early.. by 7:00 there is a line up. We got there at 6:45 and were 4th in line. The line up is supposed to be on the left side of the door so if there are people lined up on the right when you arrive, go to the left side anyway. :-)

Good luck!! :thumbs:

They open at 7:30 but you will want to get there early.. by 7:00 there is a line up. We got there at 6:45 and were 4th in line. The line up is supposed to be on the left side of the door so if there are people lined up on the right when you arrive, go to the left side anyway. :-)

Good luck!! :thumbs:

Should I still arrive a bit before 7 if my interview is at 9am? Thanks!!

Timeline

Should I still arrive a bit before 7 if my interview is at 9am? Thanks!!

Well I would because your appt.is before noon. When you get to the 19th floor you get a number (around the corner from the elevator at window 14 A/B) then you are called in that order. The couple in front of us had a 9:00 appt. ours was 8:00 and they were done and out half hour before we were. They got further ahead of us in the crowd at the elevators to go up and got C4 and we got C10. By 9:00 or so the afternoon people are starting to arrive and line up outside.

Timeline

Well I would because your appt.is before noon. When you get to the 19th floor you get a number (around the corner from the elevator at window 14 A/B) then you are called in that order. The couple in front of us had a 9:00 appt. ours was 8:00 and they were done and out half hour before we were. They got further ahead of us in the crowd at the elevators to go up and got C4 and we got C10. By 9:00 or so the afternoon people are starting to arrive and line up outside.

How about if my wife has at 11am? I've read somewhere on other thread that in similar situation the person was ordered to leave the building and come back later.

Timeline

How about if my wife has at 11am? I've read somewhere on other thread that in similar situation the person was ordered to leave the building and come back later.

Well they say arrive 20 minutes before but for an 11:00am no reason not to arrive at 9:30 or so. That way you get through security and a number before the afternoon people start arriving. I think what they take exception to is the large crown waiting at 7:30 when some of them don't have aren't scheduled for another few hours. The first people being interviewed are beginning to leave by 9:00 making more room for others. Maybe someone else has a better suggestion.

Timeline

Well they say arrive 20 minutes before but for an 11:00am no reason not to arrive at 9:30 or so. That way you get through security and a number before the afternoon people start arriving. I think what they take exception to is the large crown waiting at 7:30 when some of them don't have aren't scheduled for another few hours. The first people being interviewed are beginning to leave by 9:00 making more room for others. Maybe someone else has a better suggestion.

Thanks for the info :thumbs:! So, it should be OK if we both arrive around 9:30? I'm accompanying my wife for her interview.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the info :thumbs:! So, it should be OK if we both arrive around 9:30? I'm accompanying my wife for her interview.

I had mine at 1:45 and we arrived at 1 and were told to come back 'at the time of the appt.' so of course no way did we try to get in any earlier, but we just stood outside the door, and a line formed behind us as 1:45 approached. Then the guard came out and started letting us in after looking at our appt. paper. If you go in at 9:30, and they want you to come back at your appointment time... just be prepared to smile and go away and come back!! Then if you come back around 10:40 or just stand and by the door till your time in case a line is there. Anyway my thoughts. You'll be fine just smile at whatever they tell you to do and obey! Nobody there was rude at all. Good luck!

Edited by frostiana

Timeline

I had mine at 1:45 and we arrived at 1 and were told to come back 'at the time of the appt.' so of course no way did we try to get in any earlier, but we just stood outside the door, and a line formed behind us as 1:45 approached. Then the guard came out and started letting us in after looking at our appt. paper. If you go in at 9:30, and they want you to come back at your appointment time... just be prepared to smile and go away and come back!! Then if you come back around 10:40 or just stand and by the door till your time in case a line is there. Anyway my thoughts. You'll be fine just smile at whatever they tell you to do and obey! Nobody there was rude at all. Good luck!

Thank you :thumbs: ! But based on your info and previous post all these scheduled times - are useless. Because, like in your case, your interview was scheduled at 1:45 and the guard came out and started letting us in after looking at our appt. paper. And this happened as 1:45 approached. Doesn't make sense at all! It means, the actual interview would start much later, not at 1:45. Same in my case.

They only need that appointment letter, and they don't care when the actual interview starts :devil: .

In my opinion, all these scheduled hours for the interviews - just estimated.

Edited by nickky

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.