Nicoco

Repost: Thailand question

24 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

My fiance has a really messed up controlling family. If they find out that he is leaving, it may be over for us. My question is: Can his grandparents legally screw up this process? He is 21 years old, but he lives with them and they have connections to the government. Also, would it be a bad idea to warn the government that will try to ruin our case if they do find out? Would the government look down on this?

My family is 100% behind me, but his would not approve of anyone for him.

ฉันรักคุณ
K-1
Filed May 2011
116 days to NOA2
4 days for the NVC
74 days to the interview
Interview date: 12/14/11 APPROVED!
POE: 12/16/11
Total days from NOA1 to K-1 Visa in hand: 202
Wedding Date: 12/27/11

AOS
Sent AOS: 4/21/12
NOA1: 4/30/12
RFE: 5/14/12
Biometrics App.: 5/21/12
Sent RFE Response: 5/31/12
Interview: 7/24/12
Approval: 10/12/12

Currently.... they have issued Ice the incorrect GC and we have tried 4 times to fix it. First time they had us send it to the incorrect address. Second time they said we used an expired form, which was the form they gave us. Third time was "oh sorry we lost the last page, can you send it again?." Fourth time is the gov is shut down. Will this ever be corrected in time for Ice to get the permanent GC? Stay tuned to find out. T_T

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Unless his grandparents made an accusation, such as visa fraud, to the US embassy, it is unlikely that they or the Thai government could block his visa issuance or departure.

Timeline

They will do anything to keep him from leaving. If they say it is a fraud, can we disprove it? And also, could they bribe the government with money to force him to stay there?

ฉันรักคุณ
K-1
Filed May 2011
116 days to NOA2
4 days for the NVC
74 days to the interview

AOS

Currently.... they have issued Ice the incorrect GC and we have tried 4 times to fix it. First time they had us send it to the incorrect address. Second time they said we used an expired form, which was the form they gave us. Third time was "oh sorry we lost the last page, can you send it again?." Fourth time is the gov is shut down. Will this ever be corrected in time for Ice to get the permanent GC? Stay tuned to find out. T_T

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

It is the US government that analyzes and issues visa. This process has nothing to do with the Thai government. If they tried to bribe a US official, that could be a serious offense to them not you. Since he lives with them, and things will be mailed to his home, they will know that he is applying for a visa. Can he use a different address? Get his own place?

Timeline

I heard that it is possible to get a PO box at a mail center. I am seriously thinking about doing that because I do not want anything to mess this up. Thanks for the advice!!!

ฉันรักคุณ
K-1
Filed May 2011
116 days to NOA2
4 days for the NVC
74 days to the interview

AOS

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My fiance has a really messed up controlling family. If they find out that he is leaving, it may be over for us. My question is: Can his grandparents legally screw up this process? He is 21 years old, but he lives with them and they have connections to the government. Also, would it be a bad idea to warn the government that will try to ruin our case if they do find out? Would the government look down on this?

Thailand is unique. The fact that he is living at home with these controlling grandparents should help you understand some aspects of this. He doesnt live with his parents & he doesnt live on his own. Why is that? Because its Thailand. He has done this for the convienience it has provided. They have done it as a means to control others. When they feel they are losing that control he can expect them to be unhappy. He has always known this. He is intellegent & Thai. He also should know how & when to sit down with them to ask permission to gain control of his own life. He doesnt because he will lose the support he has always had. Its time to grow up.

Can the G Parents use their evil connections to contact the embassy? They arent connected to the US government but I suppose they may have someway to get a message into the embassy. The people sitting outside at the table are for sale for example.

Which govenment do you think you should contact? The Thai govenment hasnt got anything to do with your case if thats what you mean. Who would you contact there? If you are talking about the U S govenment which department would you contact, USCIS? The embassy? It would be a terrible idea to over react here & begin telling the embassy the sky is falling. You will do what the G P can not.

The case will be decided on its merits as they all are. The U S embassy is familier with Thailand. The embassy has methods to screen the info they deal with. Have some confidence in the work you have done so far. The main factor in your case is going to be support. You have done well to qualify for that & have a backup plan. The relationship has been constructed over a long period of time. That is also unique & should show in the case file. Not many meet as you did & then do as you have done. How could anyone undo what has happened to create this realtionship? Two jelouse, controlling Thai G Parents? No.

Edited by Ning

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

visa wise I wouldn't worry about it. They will make his life a living hell though. He might want to move out. A Thai man marrying a farang lady is frowned upon. Pretty weird if you ask me. No problem with a farang man marrying a Thai girl.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

Thank you Ning. You are always so helpful :) I'm really glad this forum is so supportive. I was so panicked this morning when he was telling me that we were pretty much doomed if it's not done by October. He was so calm and he just said that if it doesn't work out this way, we will have to wait a few years or something. I'm not sure why he was so calm, but I was freaking out because as the petitioner, I have worked so hard on my part that I really can't afford for our case to be denied.

visa wise I wouldn't worry about it. They will make his life a living hell though. He might want to move out. A Thai man marrying a farang lady is frowned upon. Pretty weird if you ask me. No problem with a farang man marrying a Thai girl.

When I was there in Thailand, they caught a glimpse of me and they thought I was Thai. I think it's because I am Filipina. ;) But I guess in nationality terms, I am still a farang.

ฉันรักคุณ
K-1
Filed May 2011
116 days to NOA2
4 days for the NVC
74 days to the interview

AOS

I would say, I have a very controlling family too. I really mean "Control," I can't even have a bf or "male" friends when I was in High school either or in college or I can't go shopping without one of my family members. 18 years old teenagers in America think that they can do ANYTHING they want but nope not for my family...18 means NOTHING. I have to wear certain clothes that they are ok with. Basically if you still live under their roof then you must follow their rules. I am from Thailand but I married in America when I was 23; got Bachelor's degree and got a job but still I had to ask for my family's permission. Since then they are not controlling my life anymore because now they know that I am mature enough to live my own life.

For my opinion, 21 years old for me is really young. I think it is time for him to sit down and speak with his grandparents explaining what, why, and when he wants to leave. He can't just leave without letting them know, that is "unexceptionable and unrespectful" for most Thai ppl. Thai government has nothing to do with your case.

I wish you the very best!

Timeline:

06/08/2011 I-751 was sent

06/09/2011 package was delivered to VSC

06/18/2011 received NOA in hands---------> receipt date is 06/10/2011

09/14/2011 Biometrics---------> early bio on 08/25/2011

02/10/2012 Received approval letter ----------> Decision date on the letter is 02/03/2012

• 2 months later...

I think it's because I am Filipina. ;)

I think you may have hit something right there.... I don't know if you are familiar with this issue or not, but there is a LOT of negative stereotyping of the Philippines in Thailand (throughout Asia for that matter, look at some of the Singapore forums--it won't take very long to find it). It sucks, but it is there.

It's good that your fiancee has not been sucked in by it.

Timeline

I think you may have hit something right there.... I don't know if you are familiar with this issue or not, but there is a LOT of negative stereotyping of the Philippines in Thailand (throughout Asia for that matter, look at some of the Singapore forums--it won't take very long to find it). It sucks, but it is there.

It's good that your fiancee has not been sucked in by it.

When he first met me, he thought I was Russian :rofl: Most ppl in Thailand assumed I was Thai tho.

ฉันรักคุณ
K-1
Filed May 2011
116 days to NOA2
4 days for the NVC
74 days to the interview

AOS

Timeline

Until you spoke, of course... :) That's usually the only way I can tell.

Exactly :lol:

ฉันรักคุณ
K-1
Filed May 2011
116 days to NOA2
4 days for the NVC
74 days to the interview

AOS

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

My parents are pessimistic and they want to know...can his dad, who is a military general, flag his passport so he can't leave thailand?

ฉันรักคุณ
K-1
Filed May 2011
116 days to NOA2
4 days for the NVC
74 days to the interview

AOS

My parents are pessimistic and they want to know...can his dad, who is a military general, flag his passport so he can't leave thailand?

A Thai Army general probably could do just about anything he wanted to do...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.