nikii

Can I apply CR1 Visa after I overstay for 14 days?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I came to US with B1/2 visa, I-94 Expired on August 26th, I got married on August 20th. So I overstay for 8 days so far. I am now in US and going back to China next week.Someguy in US Embassy said he will report me for overstay so that makes my case really bad.(He is a officer who works in US embassy.he has power)

My questions are:

can I apply for CR1 visa after I back to china?

Lawyer told us they probably will ask me to apply for hardship waiver which is really really hard to get approved. I wanna know if that will happen for sure?Any chance that they might give me visa without ask to apply waiver?

Thanks

Edited by nikii

Got Married 8-20-2011

send out I-130 10-25-2011

NOA-1 11-2-2011

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You can apply for a CR-1 visa after the petition filed by your spouse is approved by USCIS. You won't have a ban for an overstay of only 14 days so there will be no need to have a waiver, but do be honest about the overstay as it will likely come up again down the road.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My problem is I got reported by a officer in Beijing Embassy for overstay so My lawyer said its gonna be really hard for me.

Is there any website I can check the information about waiver? if overstay less than 180 days wont need a waiver i will be sooooooooooooooooooooo happy !

Got Married 8-20-2011

send out I-130 10-25-2011

NOA-1 11-2-2011

Filed: Timeline

I came to US with B1/2 visa, I-94 Expired on August 26th, I got married on August 20th. So I overstay for 8 days so far. I am now in US and going back to China next week.Someguy in US Embassy said he will report me for overstay so that makes my case really bad.(He is a officer who works in US embassy.he has power)

My questions are:

can I apply for CR1 visa after I back to china?

Lawyer told us they probably will ask me to apply for hardship waiver which is really really hard to get approved. I wanna know if that will happen for sure?Any chance that they might give me visa without ask to apply waiver?

Thanks

Ryan H is correct.

Your US citizen spouse will file Form I-130. Once approved, you will file the DS-230 for an immigration visa. A waiver is not necessary since you have only 8 days of unlawful presence. A ban is not trigger until you accumulate more than 180 days of unlawful presence. As long as you are honest about your overstay, you will be fine. Do lie about it. It's not the overstay that you would be punished for, it would be the lying. (I am Asian so I am going to put this out there - do not try to save face by lying or hiding the truth. Americans don't like to be lies used to cover up past wrongdoing. Wrongdoing can be forgiven. Lying after the fact is usually not forgiven. Look up Anthony Weiner - it's not the photos that got him busted - it was the lies to cover them up.)

Do not hire this attorney you had the consultation with. While it is a remote possibility that your USC spouse would have to file for a hardship waiver, it is unlikely because you are not subject to any ban. This attorney is probably wrong, ignorant and uninformed, or just want your money.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Ryan H is correct.

Your US citizen spouse will file Form I-130. Once approved, you will file the DS-230 for an immigration visa. A waiver is not necessary since you have only 8 days of unlawful presence. A ban is not trigger until you accumulate more than 180 days of unlawful presence. As long as you are honest about your overstay, you will be fine. Do lie about it. It's not the overstay that you would be punished for, it would be the lying. (I am Asian so I am going to put this out there - do not try to save face by lying or hiding the truth. Americans don't like to be lies used to cover up past wrongdoing. Wrongdoing can be forgiven. Lying after the fact is usually not forgiven. Look up Anthony Weiner - it's not the photos that got him busted - it was the lies to cover them up.)

Do not hire this attorney you had the consultation with. While it is a remote possibility that your USC spouse would have to file for a hardship waiver, it is unlikely because you are not subject to any ban. This attorney is probably wrong, ignorant and uninformed, or just want your money.

its a different visa granted but same thing, my hubbys visa waiver expried, he over stayed 147days, he left himself, they told him at airport dont come back without a visa, were now week or so from interview date, had no issues with it so far as it wasnt over 180days, will get asked about it at embassy sure but it wont stop u if your honest, justt give the most honest reason you can, as some1 said wrongdoin will be forgiven, lying wont

Filed: Timeline

Thanks jojo....how did you find about about waiver? I just want to make sure that I dont need waiver. did you go through this process?

My only experience with waivers are based on reading the issues on this forum and other immigration forums.

A waiver is only available after you have been denied an immigration visa. You will not get a denial based on your 8 days of overstay because you are not subject to a ban.

Generally, attorneys are the experts. However, not all of them are educated in immigration visas. Some are not not honest because they want your money.

my thoughts to you is to go through the process. If you need a waiver, then hire an attorney at that point.

I understand that this is your life and you want to make sure that you are doing it right. Perhaps a consultation with another attorney who specializes in immigration law would assure you that you will not need a waiver.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.