confusedasheck

Am I potentially in trouble?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Well to answer some of the questions. I have known the family member 10 years.

Her mom was actually approved for a green card to come to the US some years ago after being sponsored by her relative in the US. Her mom refused to move to the US. Her mom doesn't want to leave Vietnam. In fact, her mom actually hates Americans. The only reason I was able to meet her was because of my friend's introduction. He actually had to argue with her because I am an American. So I'm pretty certain it's not because they want to move to the US. She had a chance and didn't want to. Contrary to what the US consulate in HCMC thinks, not everybody wants to live in the USA.

I will admit that I tend to be on the paranoid side, it's just my peronsality. I've gotten a lot of good advice from this forum which I have followed. I would have never saved my boarding passes, phone records, taken a change of clothing for each day, etc. without it. But it seems like HCMC is always changing the rules.

I actually have thought this though. My plan was never to file a K1. I was planning to eventually do the CR-1 route. If failed, I might fight it. But considering I already have a strong desire to leave the USA, I might just use it as an excuse to leave and be done with this country. I would not mind moving to Vietnam once I have saved up enough money. Maybe I subconsciously want her to fail the interview so I can use it as an excuse to leave the USA!

I need to think this through some more. Thanks for your advice guys and gals.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm trying to get some photos of my gf and her family. Her parents in any photos do not look like they want to be in them. They are actually good to me outside of the camera. But they really hate photos for superstitious reasons. In the photos her parents are in with us they really look like they do not want to be in them.

Among other red flags, I was introduced by a family member of hers in the US who I work with. Age difference is 12 years. She failed a student visa once. Mom failed a tourist visa once because she didn't get evidence for her house and bank account.

In light of the red flags combined with her parent's unwillingness to smile in photos or even look at the camera, I am serious considering ending this relationship because I fear even if I go the CR-1 route, it will be denied for lack of family photos and the way her parents look like they don't want to be in the photos.

Am I justified in this fear?

I think some people have been really unfair to you in their responses - they have assumed a lot. I can see where you are coming from. You just want your fears allayed. Unfortunately, I do not have the official information to give you that might help with that, but I can say is that if you want to be together just ride what may come. I think I read another poster say the same thing. Everyone has their own fears and worries about this process, but I don't think unhappy looking potential in-laws on pictrues is anything to really worry about. And, if the previous family red-flags do come up it may delay things, but as long as you have a bonafide relationship I am sure that will pull you through. Just fulfill all the requirements that are asked of you and to the best of your capabilities.

Wishing you the best of luck!

event.png

event.png

Watied 129days from NOA1 for NOA2

event.png

Medical January 9th 2012.

Interview date received January 25th

Interview February 15th 2012 - APPROVED.

Received Visa's (K1 and K2) February 23rd 2012.

POE February 24th 2012.

Well to answer some of the questions. I have known the family member 10 years.

Her mom was actually approved for a green card to come to the US some years ago after being sponsored by her relative in the US. Her mom refused to move to the US. Her mom doesn't want to leave Vietnam. In fact, her mom actually hates Americans. The only reason I was able to meet her was because of my friend's introduction. He actually had to argue with her because I am an American. So I'm pretty certain it's not because they want to move to the US. She had a chance and didn't want to. Contrary to what the US consulate in HCMC thinks, not everybody wants to live in the USA.

I will admit that I tend to be on the paranoid side, it's just my peronsality. I've gotten a lot of good advice from this forum which I have followed. I would have never saved my boarding passes, phone records, taken a change of clothing for each day, etc. without it. But it seems like HCMC is always changing the rules.

I actually have thought this though. My plan was never to file a K1. I was planning to eventually do the CR-1 route. If failed, I might fight it. But considering I already have a strong desire to leave the USA, I might just use it as an excuse to leave and be done with this country. I would not mind moving to Vietnam once I have saved up enough money. Maybe I subconsciously want her to fail the interview so I can use it as an excuse to leave the USA!

I need to think this through some more. Thanks for your advice guys and gals.

Yeah right! and she was refused the Tourist Visa and her daughter's Student Visa got denied. Yawning! "Ngheo` ma` doi` an xoi gac'"

I just laugh whenever people say this "I'm filthy rich in VN! I never care to move to the US." And many moons later, they're lining up outside the US CO waiting for their interview.

Question/Curiosity - Why would the denial for her mother's tourist visa as well as the OP's fiance's prior student visa request be a red flag? These visas are not considered to be immigration visas unless the intent was to immigrate to the US.

For Vietnam in particular, once a person has shown his/her interest to enter the US by whatever means, student, tourist Visa, and got denied in the past, any other attempt for other type of Visa in the future will be flagged down as an attempt to commit immigration fraud. Vietnam is a poor country and its people will do whatever necessary to flee the country.

Its people used to pay ($25K to $35K) to achieve that purpose and nowadays they get smart and learn how to use their "love" to manipulate "suckers". And there's the saying "There's a sucker born every minute".

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

For Vietnam in particular, once a person has shown his/her interest to enter the US by whatever means, student, tourist Visa, and got denied in the past, any other attempt for other type of Visa in the future will be flagged down as an attempt to commit immigration fraud. Vietnam is a poor country and its people will do whatever necessary to flee the country.

Its people used to pay ($25K to $35K) to achieve that purpose and nowadays they get smart and learn how to use their "love" to manipulate "suckers". And there's the saying "There's a sucker born every minute".

Fraudulent relationships is the very reason why it makes it harder for those, to include my husband and I, who have a genuine relationship to get their visa approved.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If you really want to leave the US then you probably shouldn't be working so hard to bring your fiancee here. If you can save up a tidy sum of money then you'll be able to live reasonably comfortably in Vietnam. Just make sure you've considered everything from all angles. For example, medical care in Vietnam is far below US in quality. It's also a lot cheaper, but it's not free. We just ponied up $3000 so my wife's mom can have angioplasty surgery next week.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

One inappropriate off topic comment has been removed. Please try to phrase your responses in ways that provide useful information in a polite way. There is no reason to be dismissive, rude or judgmental.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I like this girl a lot (we have met in person). She has a lot of great and unique characteristics that I love. I think I'm going to continue the course and fight it if needed. Though I need to have a serious talk with her about what will happen in this case.

I do understand the concern for visa fraud. I have been looking out for that, but considering my friend has also tried to introduce me to relatives of his who are already US citizens, I think he's just one of those old-fashioned Viet dudes that wants to see every guy married off.

Thanks for your comments guys and gals.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.