othman and lavon

acceptance of marriage certificate from morocco

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

This is for the ladies who married in Morocco. Since coming back from Morocco I tried to get my drivers license with my husbands name on it. But, the Dmv told me they do not accept foreign marriage license. They told me to go to the social security office and get my card with my new last name on it then they can give me the new drivers license. The other option they told me was to do a legal name change at the court house which cost money. Well, the social security office told me they had to send a copy of the marriage papers to the district office. I was told they should know in about a month. I called again over a month later and was told they are waiting to hear from Morocco to see if it is a valid license. Has anyone else experienced this? I am anxious to use my husbands last name.. :angry:

Lavon USA

Othman MOROCCO

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Serbia
Timeline

That sucks, but don't you have your new name on your PR card?? That should be sufficient for the new SS card, and hopefully for the DMV...

Good luck in any case.

A

February 1, 2006 - Married in Brooklyn, NY

February 7, 2006 - I-485, I-130, I-131, I-765 Filed

February 18, 2006 - NOA for I-485, I-130, I-131, I-765

March 16, 2006 - Biometrics for I-765, I-485

March 16, 2006 - I-131, I-130 touched

March 18, 2006 - I-765, I-485 touched

March 18, 2006 - RFE for I-485

March 20, 2006 - I-485 touched

March 27, 2006 - RFE sent out

March 31, 2006 - USCIS received the RFE

April 3, 2006 - I-485 touched

April 5, 2006 - I-485 touched

April 6, 2006 - I-485 touched

April 19, 2006 - AP approved

April 24, 2006 - AP received in the mail

April 22, 2006 - EAD touched

April 24, 2006 - EAD approved

April 29, 2006 - EAD received in the mail

May 15, 2006 - Interview letter received

July 12, 2006 - Interview

July 12, 2006 - APPROVED!!!!

August 14, 2006 - Welcome to the US letter and I-130 approval received in the mail

August 15, 2006 - Permanent Resident Card received in the mail

So far so good

Hmm you could show them your visa approval.. Thought, it looks like you may have to wait a little..

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Timeline
This is for the ladies who married in Morocco. Since coming back from Morocco I tried to get my drivers license with my husbands name on it. But, the Dmv told me they do not accept foreign marriage license. They told me to go to the social security office and get my card with my new last name on it then they can give me the new drivers license. The other option they told me was to do a legal name change at the court house which cost money. Well, the social security office told me they had to send a copy of the marriage papers to the district office. I was told they should know in about a month. I called again over a month later and was told they are waiting to hear from Morocco to see if it is a valid license. Has anyone else experienced this? I am anxious to use my husbands last name.. :angry:

you are USC correct? then..

simply.. you got to SSN office change last name ONLY

now, if you want to change 1st name.. you must go to court file a petition stating 1st name change or 1st name change amending is for religous reasons.

once you get SSN card. then you can go to DMV get new DL.

Edited by babybunny
shon.gif

Timeline

Yes, I am an american citizen born and raised in Texas. I did go to the social security office and filled out the form to change my last name. But, they told me they had to send off the application and copy of marriage certification to the district office and then I was told they are waiting for confirmation from Morocco that it is valid. Dang the delay. It has been two months since I went to the social security office. Has any of the ladies who went to Morocco and gotten married there been able to get their drivers license and social security card with their new married name on it?

Lavon USA

Othman MOROCCO

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline

We got married in Mexico, so it's a little different. Anyway, before I went to Mexico I was already doing my research into name changing :lol: . The MVA required that a foreign document be translated by a court-certified translator, so we did that. I was worried about the SSA so I got my license done first. That way I had a new ID to bring with me to the SSA. I don't know if Morocco does this, but you could consider having your husband take an official copy of the marriage certificate to the Secretary of State and get what's called an Apostille. That makes a document valid in any country that participated in the Hague Convention, including the US. All in all, the MVA should take your marriage certificate, as long as you have the required translation. I was concerned about how it would all work, since Mexicans have two last names, and I was taking the first one...but it actually all went fine! Good luck to you, and make sure you've done your research; try to ask about the things I've mentioned!

Just thought of this-you may want to also consider registering your marriage with the local courthouse.

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch

Timeline

Yes Heina, I had the translation done while I was in Morocco. I knew I would need it for the I-130 and the I-129F. I will check into the other ideas u had for me. Thanks.

Lavon USA

Othman MOROCCO

Timeline

The translation might not be acceptable, since it was not done by a court-certified translator. They were very specific about that in the instructions-I had used regular certified translators before for other things, but this required one who was court-certified, and provided a list of those who are qualified. BRB-I'm going to check the Texas state requirements for you.

-Oscar the Grouch

Timeline

Ok-Texas doesn't have their foreign document requirements listed on the Internet. I guess all that is done through the Department of Public Safety (from what I gather-I'm new to this) so try giving them a call: 512-424-2000 and ask them what are their requirements for foreign documents in relation to drivers licenses. Good luck!

-Oscar the Grouch

What I did, (in jordan) was had an english basic marriage cert printed out from the ministry of foreign affairs in jordan....i didnt have the contract from the Sheik translated as i dont think that would have worked.....was your certificate issued through the moroccan govt? if so, it should work just fine....

Filed DCF in Jordan from 7-05 to 3-06, Approved for I-R1.

Immigration Free until 2008.

Two Hearts, Two Different Places, Sharing One Dream

We were strangers~ Starting out on a journey~Never dreaming What we'd have to go through ~Now here we are ~ And I'm suddenly standing ~ At the beginning with you ~ No one told me I was going to find you ~ Unexpected ~ What you did to my heart ~ When I lost hope You were there to remind me ~ This is the start ~ Life is a road And I want to keep going ~ Love is a river I wanna keep flowing ~ Life is a road Now and forever ~ Wonderful journey ~ I'll be there When the world stops turning~ I'll be there When the storm is through ~ In the end I wanna be standing At the beginning with you~

.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Babybunny got it right.

I was married in Morocco. Soc Sec requires you to bring in the marriage document and translation (originals) and then they will issue the card with the new name. ask to speak to someone in charge, they are pulling your leg.

I was told that my marrigae paper had to be sent to a larger office to be translated "officially". I waitied and waited. I kept calling. Finally I asked to speak to someone in charge. She told me everyone was wrong, as long as I had given them the original marriage and translation of the marriage for them to make a copy of (I did and they did) my name would be changed. Got the card in 2 weeks with new name.

My advice...if you keep getting the run aeround...keep going higher in the chain of command. Soc Sec only needs to "see" the origial papers and make a copy to verify your marriage. Don't give them the originals. Look on their site, it will back up what I am telling you.

Good luck,

chi

098bdb652297eb8af8222ef77903ebf5.gif

.png

Married in 04

"Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections."

chiqa.jpg

Timeline

My marriage deed was issued by the Kingdom of Morocco, Ministry of Justice, court of appeals of Safi, Family court. All of that was listed one under the other on the paper. The translator is accredited to the courts is what is in the upper left hand corner. Also I made copies of front and back of all the pages and stapled it exactly like they had it. I brought the original marriage papers along with a copy so the lady could see both at the ss office and she sent the copy that I made. So, I dont know why the delay on it. Thanks for the help everybody. I called the drivers license number that heina gave to me but I was told to call back tomorrow to talk to someone who can help with my question.

Lavon USA

Othman MOROCCO

Filed: Timeline
Yes, I am an american citizen born and raised in Texas. I did go to the social security office and filled out the form to change my last name. But, they told me they had to send off the application and copy of marriage certification to the district office and then I was told they are waiting for confirmation from Morocco that it is valid. Dang the delay. It has been two months since I went to the social security office. Has any of the ladies who went to Morocco and gotten married there been able to get their drivers license and social security card with their new married name on it?

I am in dallas texas..

my husband is from pakistan. I changed my last name

I got my new SSN card right away.

too lazy to change my DL .. I know I should have done it sooner.

but didnt wanna..

btw, I had a certified english traslated marriage paper.

and urdu one but, who can read that. so I tossed it in the Scrap book.

used the english one to add my husband to things like my work benfits and dubage..

Edited by babybunny
shon.gif

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Wow, I'm surprised that they're giving you the run around. I got my name change done by taking a copy of the certificate in Arabic, the translation and the certification by the translator to DMV, then to the SS office. No hassle. Maybe where you went is doing up the Patriot Act in a big way.

Edited by szsz

Timeline

Yes they are giving me the runaround!!! I got the letter today from the social security administration and it is even address to me with my married name on it. The letter says ...we are unabled to process a name change with the foreign certificate provided. the state of Texas at this time is verifying information concerning the matter................I called the 1-800 number and talked to a lady. I told her what the problem was and what all is listed on my marriage certificate. My date of birth, my place of birth, my mothers name, even my divorce information from previous marriage. She did see what the problem was She also asked if I had brought other proof of my new name like car insurance and I told her yes. She told me it should have been issued ..I was advised by her to get in touch with the local social security office. dang the delays.............

Oops I made a mistake in my last post. The lady at the social security office who I talked to on the phone

DID NOT see what the problem was with issuing my new card with my new married name on it.

Lavon USA

Othman MOROCCO