KrisandJennie

So frustrating!

49 posts in this topic

We have talked to my mom and we're going to be moving the wedding back to March/ April. Once he has the visa, he'll come over and we'll do a civil ceremony so he can start the AOS process and then have the big wedding later. Do you think that gives us enough time? 7 more months and we're 3 months into the visa process?

A spring wedding sounds like a safe bet. I feel bad that you've had to change your date...I completely understand the disappointment and frustion of having to do that. When I started this process, I thought the 5 month time frame from USCIS meant that the whole visa process would be completed in that amount of time. Unfortunately, what it really means is that USCIS says that they will most likely approved your petition (I-129F) in approximately 5 months, barring any RFE's. But...that's only the beginning. All it really means is that you have requested permission from immigration for your fiance to apply for a visa. The actual application for the visa does not take place until USCIS has approved your petition, then sent it to the National Visa Center (NVC) and then it is sent to the visa Embassy in London. Once it is in London, your fiance will receive a letter with a link to their website, where he can download the application and a few other forms which are to be completed and sent back to the Embassy.

It's a long, crazy process. I'm still having a "big" wedding, though. I have been planning for months. In fact, I went "wedding shopping" this past weekend and bought a ton of decorations for my reception. I have my gown and it has already had initial alterations done to it. I've chosen to print my own invitations and do a lot of things myself. It's probably easier for me, because my pastor has been very flexible with me having to change my date. I've also chosen to have my reception at the church fellowship hall....so that also lends to the flexibility. I know that if you are planning to have a reception at a banquet hall, you have to commit to a date. But...keep this in mind, also....once your fiance steps foot in the US, you have 90 days to get married...so there really is no reason why you need to get married the minute he steps off the plane. If things go as planned for us, my fiance will be here in the US for about a month before we get married.

I've learned an awful lot about patience, persistence and flexibility through this experience. I know it seems like a long time to wait....but the time will pass, and things do definitely move faster after your petition is approved. Anyway....I wish you all the best in this visa journey. :)

K-1
03-23-2011.....Sent I-129F application
04-07-2011.....NOA1 (dated 03-30-2011)received
07-15-2011.....NOA2 (No RFE's)- 107 days!! *We were #145 on Igor's list*
08-01-2011.....NVC Received
08-03-2011.....NVC Left
08-11-2011.....Consulate Received
08-15-2011.....Packet 3 Received (1 month since our NOA2)
08-29-2011.....Packet 3 Sent
09-23-2011.....Packet 3 logged at Embassy
10-07-2011.....Packet 4 Received
11-08-2011.....Interview Date - APPROVED!!!!
11-15-2011.....Visa in hand today (delivered by DX)
11-20-2011.....Arrived in the U.S.A.
12-03-2011.....Married

AOS/EAD/AP
08-06-2012.....Sent AOS Packet (EAD and AP)

08-10-2012.....Packet delivered
08-17-2012.....NOA1 with appointment for biometrics
09-04-2012.....Biometrics Appointment
10-12-2012.....EAD & AP approved
10-20-2012.....Received EAD/AP "Combo" card by mail

04-19-2012.....Received approval letter for AOS (No interview & no RFE's!!)

04-25-2012.....Received Green Card in the mail today!!!

ROC
03-24-2015.....Sent ROC Packet

03-27-2015.....Packet delivered
04-01-2015.....Check cashed by USCIS
04-04-2015.....NOA1

04-30-2015.....Biometrics Appointment

PfUgm4.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

A spring wedding sounds like a safe bet. I feel bad that you've had to change your date...I completely understand the disappointment and frustion of having to do that. When I started this process, I thought the 5 month time frame from USCIS meant that the whole visa process would be completed in that amount of time. Unfortunately, what it really means is that USCIS says that they will most likely approved your petition (I-129F) in approximately 5 months, barring any RFE's. But...that's only the beginning. All it really means is that you have requested permission from immigration for your fiance to apply for a visa. The actual application for the visa does not take place until USCIS has approved your petition, then sent it to the National Visa Center (NVC) and then it is sent to the visa Embassy in London. Once it is in London, your fiance will receive a letter with a link to their website, where he can download the application and a few other forms which are to be completed and sent back to the Embassy.

It's a long, crazy process. I'm still having a "big" wedding, though. I have been planning for months. In fact, I went "wedding shopping" this past weekend and bought a ton of decorations for my reception. I have my gown and it has already had initial alterations done to it. I've chosen to print my own invitations and do a lot of things myself. It's probably easier for me, because my pastor has been very flexible with me having to change my date. I've also chosen to have my reception at the church fellowship hall....so that also lends to the flexibility. I know that if you are planning to have a reception at a banquet hall, you have to commit to a date. But...keep this in mind, also....once your fiance steps foot in the US, you have 90 days to get married...so there really is no reason why you need to get married the minute he steps off the plane. If things go as planned for us, my fiance will be here in the US for about a month before we get married.

I've learned an awful lot about patience, persistence and flexibility through this experience. I know it seems like a long time to wait....but the time will pass, and things do definitely move faster after your petition is approved. Anyway....I wish you all the best in this visa journey. :)

Thank you so much!!! It is definitely hard being away from him for so long but it will be totally worth it in the end!! Best of luck to you too!!! :)

If you set the date for November, let it go 'cause it isn't going to happen, at least legally! You can have the "faux wedding" or a Blessing ceremony as suggested to go through the pomp & circumstance and just wait for the visa process to complete to do the legal thing in America at the courthouse. But you may only have the NOA2 by November, at best and that's just half the distance.

Filed: Timeline

We have talked to my mom and we're going to be moving the wedding back to March/ April. Once he has the visa, he'll come over and we'll do a civil ceremony so he can start the AOS process and then have the big wedding later. Do you think that gives us enough time? 7 more months and we're 3 months into the visa process?

good choice.. best wishes :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.