elya

Qutting your job in Russia

61 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Interesting Baron...my wife owned a "beauty spa." She was a popular stylist in her city with 20 years experience. Now she can't cut hair because she has no "certificate." Cost to earn one is about $13,000 and 100s of hours in a salon in my state.

Is your wife continuing as a stylist?

Move to Vermont. There are lots of Russian speaking hair stylists here and Alla goes to one who also does it out of her home (and works in a salon) I do not know the details but I am guessing the regulations are far less (there are no such things as state licensed electricians and plumbers for example, only 1 city has such things, but not the state)

It is a ridiculous regulation designed to create $$$ and probably lobbied for by the people that make $$$ to train them. What BS!

I mean if a hair stylist does a crappy job DON'T GO THERE!!!!!!!!!!! Who decided we need government to tell us who is a good hair stylist? #######!!!!!!!!

Get the ** outta there VV!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I think it should be possible to take the "testing" portions for things like this. It just doesn't make sense to me to sit in class learning about something you've been doing for ages and could do with one arm tied behind your back. I'd gladly pay a few hundred dollars to take the tests to prove I'm proficient in my field/s rather than wasting years at school and accruing student loan debt...

The person cutting your hair needs training and a license but the guy cooking your meal at a restaurant doesn't even need a background check :huh:

What happens when government gets involved.

In truth, barbers and stylists aren't licensed on their technique, they're licensed on their sanitary practices. The reason cooks don't need certs is because the restaurant they're cooking it is already certified. It's silly, I know, but in one case the shop is certified and in the other, the worker is certified.

More government BS.

I think it should be possible to take the "testing" portions for things like this. It just doesn't make sense to me to sit in class learning about something you've been doing for ages and could do with one arm tied behind your back. I'd gladly pay a few hundred dollars to take the tests to prove I'm proficient in my field/s rather than wasting years at school and accruing student loan debt...

But then how could the schools make money?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Move to Vermont. There are lots of Russian speaking hair stylists here and Alla goes to one who also does it out of her home (and works in a salon) I do not know the details but I am guessing the regulations are far less (there are no such things as state licensed electricians and plumbers for example, only 1 city has such things, but not the state)

It is a ridiculous regulation designed to create $$$ and probably lobbied for by the people that make $$$ to train them. What BS!

I mean if a hair stylist does a crappy job DON'T GO THERE!!!!!!!!!!! Who decided we need government to tell us who is a good hair stylist? #######!!!!!!!!

Get the ** outta there VV!

I hear you Gary. I hear you. A craftsman (woman) should be able to practice their craft. I'm tired of getting certiFUKated!

Edited by visaveteran1

Timeline

What happens when government gets involved.

In truth, barbers and stylists aren't licensed on their technique, they're licensed on their sanitary practices. The reason cooks don't need certs is because the restaurant they're cooking it is already certified. It's silly, I know, but in one case the shop is certified and in the other, the worker is certified.

More government BS.

But then how could the schools make money?

I understand your point Slim, but in reality there are still schools to teach trades and crafts. Obviously one cannot make a living being a hair styl;ist without training. You can only ** up so many people's hairdos and then no one comes to your shop. Ditto electricians or plumbers. I could never be a hair stylist because I have no clue how to do it. The government has nothing to do with that (don't tell them though) It is more often people who even want to control who can teach that are behind these things. Reducing competition in the schools available is good for someone.

There are plenty of trade schools here in Vermont even though no licenses are required. The salons are just as nice and clean and the hairdos are just as good. There is even a public trade school, Burlington Tech, that teachs electricians, plumbers, aircraft mechanics, car mechanics, chefs and hair stylists among others. They are always full. Not to mention New England Culinary Institute. These are all driven by people that know they can make a good living with training, no regulations needed. They will get more customers because they know what they are doing. This is just natural if you let it be.

What I am saying is simply allow the hand of the marketplace to take control.

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

This is one of those things that really bothers me about government regulation. If someone wants to create a non-mandatory stylist certification that's one thing (though there's no reason that the government needs to get involved). But when the government says that you can't work without some arbitrary certification that's another.

Well actually I understand the need for some amount of reschooling. They are using sharp instruments around your head and need to know about the health aspects relative to cutting someone and the need to disinfect their implements properly. Not saying they don't already know this but in our litigative society (the discussion ought to be about that) they may be highly liable.

Interesting Baron...my wife owned a "beauty spa." She was a popular stylist in her city with 20 years experience. Now she can't cut hair because she has no "certificate." Cost to earn one is about $13,000 and 100s of hours in a salon in my state.

Is your wife continuing as a stylist?

Sri for the late response....been a busy summer again, both at work and at home !!!

No, she has no plans for continuing.....at her advanced age of 37 the hours on her feet are being felt and she doesn't want to become crippled from that.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Well actually I understand the need for some amount of reschooling. They are using sharp instruments around your head and need to know about the health aspects relative to cutting someone and the need to disinfect their implements properly. Not saying they don't already know this but in our litigative society (the discussion ought to be about that) they may be highly liable.

Sri for the late response....been a busy summer again, both at work and at home !!!

No, she has no plans for continuing.....at her advanced age of 37 the hours on her feet are being felt and she doesn't want to become crippled from that.

And why do we assume the government has to have anything to do with this? This is the huge failing which has been programmed into us...by none other than the government...that we NEED them to do everything. NO, we don't, and they are rarely the best qualified to do so anyway. Government has no interest in protecting ME from litigation...I do. A litigious society will create increased standards, but again this is not a government function or demand. Civil lawsuits can hardly be considered a "government function"

The electrical industry deserves kudos for avoiding the government. The NFPA and the NEC are NOT government agencies or standards, yet they are the among the best in the trades, ditto ASE, ANSI, etc. These are industry standards created by the industry, suggested electrical standards written by electricians and electrical engineers. They are not elected, they do not seek campaign donations and have proven to be of very high quality.

We CAN have the highest standards in the world and never involve the government at all.

The reason that some states have these regulations is not to protect you, they could not possibly care less about you, it is to create government jobs, expand government, expand their own "industry" of people that do nothing. It is basically creating unnecessary jobs for unqualified people at your expense.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

I understand your point Slim, but in reality there are still schools to teach trades and crafts. Obviously one cannot make a living being a hair styl;ist without training. You can only ** up so many people's hairdos and then no one comes to your shop. Ditto electricians or plumbers. I could never be a hair stylist because I have no clue how to do it. The government has nothing to do with that (don't tell them though) It is more often people who even want to control who can teach that are behind these things. Reducing competition in the schools available is good for someone.

There are plenty of trade schools here in Vermont even though no licenses are required. The salons are just as nice and clean and the hairdos are just as good. There is even a public trade school, Burlington Tech, that teachs electricians, plumbers, aircraft mechanics, car mechanics, chefs and hair stylists among others. They are always full. Not to mention New England Culinary Institute. These are all driven by people that know they can make a good living with training, no regulations needed. They will get more customers because they know what they are doing. This is just natural if you let it be.

What I am saying is simply allow the hand of the marketplace to take control.

Hate to break it to you, Gary, but even VT requires licenses. fist of tyranny

The NFPA and the NEC are NOT government agencies or standards, yet they are the among the best in the trades, ditto ASE, ANSI, etc. These are industry standards created by the industry, suggested electrical standards written by electricians and electrical engineers. They are not elected, they do not seek campaign donations and have proven to be of very high quality.

We CAN have the highest standards in the world and never involve the government at all

Regardless of all those... we still have OSHA.

ETA - I'm not disagreeing with the fact that government is too intrusive and we don't need it. I'm simply pointing out no matter how good our standards are that govern ourselves, government still has to be involved. Agreeing with you, we've been duped into thinking we need them.

Much like we need the police to keep our streets safe... we need OSHA to monitor safety in the workplace.

Edited by slim

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

And why do we assume the government has to have anything to do with this? This is the huge failing which has been programmed into us...by none other than the government...that we NEED them to do everything. NO, we don't, and they are rarely the best qualified to do so anyway. Government has no interest in protecting ME from litigation...I do. A litigious society will create increased standards, but again this is not a government function or demand. Civil lawsuits can hardly be considered a "government function"

The electrical industry deserves kudos for avoiding the government. The NFPA and the NEC are NOT government agencies or standards, yet they are the among the best in the trades, ditto ASE, ANSI, etc. These are industry standards created by the industry, suggested electrical standards written by electricians and electrical engineers. They are not elected, they do not seek campaign donations and have proven to be of very high quality.

We CAN have the highest standards in the world and never involve the government at all.

The reason that some states have these regulations is not to protect you, they could not possibly care less about you, it is to create government jobs, expand government, expand their own "industry" of people that do nothing. It is basically creating unnecessary jobs for unqualified people at your expense.

I can agree with line of thinking.....it's just lawyers being self-serving and many of them are in the government.

Yes, let the industry police themselves.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Hate to break it to you, Gary, but even VT requires licenses. fist of tyranny

Regardless of all those... we still have OSHA.

ETA - I'm not disagreeing with the fact that government is too intrusive and we don't need it. I'm simply pointing out no matter how good our standards are that govern ourselves, government still has to be involved. Agreeing with you, we've been duped into thinking we need them.

Much like we need the police to keep our streets safe... we need OSHA to monitor safety in the workplace.

I am not surprised and I really didn't know for sure. I know they do not have electrician and plumber lisences. My guess is that it will be much easier to obtain in Vermont, but it is not an area I need to check into, so I won't. I would also guess that they would put more stock in some foregin certificate.

Gary And Alla

I am not surprised and I really didn't know for sure. I know they do not have electrician and plumber lisences. My guess is that it will be much easier to obtain in Vermont, but it is not an area I need to check into, so I won't. I would also guess that they would put more stock in some foregin certificate.

Electricians, maybe not. But, electrologists need one!

What's funny about VT's licensing is the architect, engineer, surveyor, landscaper and real estate folks all need licenses to work around the housing industry. But the folks who actually lay hands on it, build it from the ground up - they don't need a license!

Русский форум член.

Timeline

What's funny about VT's licensing is the architect, engineer, surveyor, landscaper and real estate folks all need licenses to work around the housing industry. But the folks who actually lay hands on it, build it from the ground up - they don't need a license!

Keep it weird! :whistle:

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Electrologists? Are they the guys that are zapping the hair off hot girl's cootchies? They should have a lottery for those licenses! I would buy a few chances for that! :rofl:

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Actually people who work in the food industry are generally required to undergo some form of hygiene training. Usually it's in the form of a video that the worker probably didn't watch but signed a form saying they did anyway. But still, it's required. Cosmetologists and hair stylists, as Slim said, are generally licensed for hygiene as well. The state wants to make sure that if they drop a comb onto a lice-ridden floor, they at least knew they weren't supposed to. Although I think it's generally a good idea for states to make sure people are qualified to do the job they're performing.

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.