CourtneyRox

Importing Vehicle

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Courtenay - yes my Jetta is a diesel and I just love it!

I see on your status that you've had your interview and been approved - Congrats on that, very exciting!

My interview is on Sept 29, and I'm trying not to get to nervous about it, but it is on my mind ALL the time, it seems. I'm planning to move in mid-Oct, before the first snow flies in the Great White North, lol.

I sent a request letter to VW, but haven't heard anything back yet. I think I will contact them to confirm that they actually got it.

Hope your move goes well.

• 6 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

HELP! Car Import!! We are working on importing Marc's car and are running into problems. It is a 2011 Hyundai and meets all Canadian standards, but we need a letter stating it meets all AMERICAN standards. Hyundai Canada refuses to add US compliance to their letter. Anyone in same situation?

Also tag expired and we cannot get a new one so he is car-less until all this is taken care of!!

I <3 MARC

* AUGUST 2008 - met online

* MARCH 2009 - start dating

* MAY 27, 2009 - Said "I Love You"

* SEPTEMBER 18, 2009 - met in person

* JUNE 18, 2010 – He Proposed!

* JULY 26, 2010 – He returned to Canada to start the visa process

* SEPTEMBER 2010 - I-129-F Application (k-1) sent

* OCTOBER 3-9, 2010 - To Canada to Visit Marc

* DECEMBER 27- JANUARY 4, 2011 - To Canada to Visit Marc

* FEBRUARY 15-22, 2011 - To Canada to Visit Marc

* APRIL 2011- Packet 3 Received

* JUNE 3-9 - To Canada to Visit Marc

* JULY 2011 – Sent Packet 3 to Montreal

* AUGUST 1, 2011 - Packet 4 Received

* AUGUST 5, 2011 – MRV Fee Paid – tried to schedule and apt. – None available.

* SEPTEMBER 30 - OCTOBER 5, 2011 - To Canada to Visit Marc

* OCTOBER 13, 2011 - Interview FINALLY Scheduled

* NOVEMBER 17, 2011 - Medical Exam

* ARRIVED IN CANADA TO GO TO THE INTERVIEW WITH MARC

* NOVEMBER 22, 2011 - Interview in Montreal

* DECEMBER 2, 2011 - POE - Houlton, Maine

* DECEMBER 14, 2011 - Courthouse Wedding.

* FEBRUARY 25, 2012 - The "REAL WEDDING"!!

0gIzm5.png

Hi, I was planning on importing my car to the US, however decided against it because I was worried we would run into trouble at the border and it would have been too far to turn back around if that did happen. I believe you will have to contact Hyundai AMERICA to make sure that it meets all AMERICAN standards... not Canadian because remember you are importing to the US... Hope that helps!

Edited by CourtneyRox

Removal of Conditions

[03-24-2014] ROC paperwork sent.

[03-25-2014] NOA1.

[04-21-2014] Biometrics

[06-17-2014] Card in production

[06-25-2014] Card in HAND

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, I was planning on importing my car to the US, however decided against it because I was worried we would run into trouble at the border and it would have been too far to turn back around if that did happen. I believe you will have to contact Hyundai AMERICA to make sure that it meets all AMERICAN standards... not Canadian because remember you are importing to the US... Hope that helps!

The fax you posted means your car is fine to be imported. The FMVSS line is the important part. the trouble you would run in to, if any were likely, and it isn't, would be later, when you go to register the car with the Illinois DMV. But as long as you have a proper import form, that normally goes very smoothly.

Regarding emissions, California is a world of its own. I am virtually certain that Illinois does not require cars to be compliant with California emissions standards to be registered. A call to the Illinois DMV will confirm that.

All any car needs to be imported is to be compliant with what the regulations were at the time of manufacture. that's why the compliance letters are worded that way. They do not intend to obligate owners to keep up with changing regulations and keep an aging car compliant. In some cases that would even be impossible - changing regulations sometimes effect things as basic as the structure of the monobody. They can't very well be expecting people to replace that with an aftermarket upgrade! :)

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

• 4 months later...

HELP! Car Import!! We are working on importing Marc's car and are running into problems. It is a 2011 Hyundai and meets all Canadian standards, but we need a letter stating it meets all AMERICAN standards. Hyundai Canada refuses to add US compliance to their letter. Anyone in same situation?

Also tag expired and we cannot get a new one so he is car-less until all this is taken care of!!

Yes I have a similar issue. I got a letter of non-compliance from VW USA because my Canadian 2010 VW GTI does not have TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) enabled. All new cars since 2008 require it in the US. I can re-enable it and add the reset button for about $100 but I would still need to get a registered importer (RI) to certify it and that costs a ton of $ and a long time.

In short, if you can't get a compliance letter then it's pretty much impossible ... or go the local POE inland, play dumb, claim it's compliant (i.e. it has the FMVSS sticker), and hope the CBP is not doing his job, doesn't check, and signs your form ...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.