BigDaddyKane

Grounds for Expedition?

3 posts in this topic

I was wondering, can I request my AOS case to be expedited because I am seeking employment within a particular field? I am a doctor, and I have jumped through all the hoops and passed all my medical board exams and I am applying for a residency position. I am adjusting my status currently. Residency positions prefer green card holders over visa holders, and it's much easier to get interviews with a green card. The job doesn't being until July 1st of 2012, but applications go out september 1st of this year, and the main criteria all the programs look for is permenent residency or USC first. Can I ask that my application be expedited so I can have a shot at getting a spot? See my timeline below.

07/25/2011: Married!

07/29/2011: I-130, 485, and EAD application sent to Chicago Lockbox

08/01/2011: Packet arrived and accepted

08/10/2011: NOA for all 3 arrived

08/15/2011: Biometrics notice arrives

08/17/2011: Successful walk in at ASC (Original date: 08/29)

09/02/2011: Wondering when will my file be touched.....

02/15/2012: Interview Day!!!

02/15/2012: Got my card!!

You can always ask, but I see little chance of approval. They might expedite an EAD, but you are asking for a status expedition. Your status (or lack thereof) isn't their fault. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

I was wondering, can I request my AOS case to be expedited because I am seeking employment within a particular field? I am a doctor, and I have jumped through all the hoops and passed all my medical board exams and I am applying for a residency position. I am adjusting my status currently. Residency positions prefer green card holders over visa holders, and it's much easier to get interviews with a green card. The job doesn't being until July 1st of 2012, but applications go out september 1st of this year, and the main criteria all the programs look for is permenent residency or USC first. Can I ask that my application be expedited so I can have a shot at getting a spot? See my timeline below.

Requests to expedite are usually not even put into the system unless you've been waiting much longer than the normal processing times.

Other benefits (e.g. advance parole) are sometimes provided if you have a serious humanitarian crisis; however, the permanent residency status itself cannot normally be expedited. Your best bet would be to call the service line, but I'm 99% sure that they, especially for a circumstance such as this, will go just short of hanging up on you.

I'll try to withold judgement, but there are many in very serious situations that have, in addition, been waiting years for adjudication.

You didn't specify your nationality or your non-immigrant visa class, but both of those factors can weigh heavily on processing times.

Also, I'm not sure about the criteria of the program, but saying you have a pending adjustment application may fall into their criteria of being an LPR.

Edited by CC90

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.