Krikit

The Way We Were

138 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Flames. :lol:

Glad to hear you got a visit, OBX. When I moved closer to home I was hoping I would too. But, apparently, my children are social butterfly workaholics. I guess they grew up to be like me afterall. :hehe:

So nice to see I'm not alone. :) I would love if the Canada forum became chatty again. I used to laugh so hard, sometimes. That's something I really really miss from back home. My friends and family and I would have so many hearty belly-aching laughs. Down here it's just kind of a chuckle or two. Sometimes. Everyone is so serious here. Or maybe I just don't fit in. :unsure:

I'm lucky if I can get the boys down here once a year. The youngest surprised me when he and his girlfriend drove down May 24 weekend and the oldest last week, as I posted earlier. I think the older one just wanted to make the drive since his younger brother did it first, can't be upstaged! So that is probably it until next summer, they tell me it's easier for me to come up to Canada since they are so busy! Their social lives boggle my mind...I don't know where they get the time or energy to do all they do. When I go up to visit I spend half of my time taking them out to eat and catching up and the other half folding their laundry. I think I just figured out why they would rather I come up to Canada. laughing.gif

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If memory serves from older threads, it was actually Krikit who used to be a little... irked... if people used the phrase "activate my visa", rather than "endorse my visa".

So I'm pretty sure Flames was just poking fun at Krikit.... no real "stories" to tell about a crazy Canadian memeber... sorry to disappoint!

PS - Krikit, I get it. (L) I'm not being mean! I'm ####### with certain phrases.... e.g: "rate of speed" is just redundant and annoys me. It equally annoys my husband when I correct him :lol:

PPS - I agree! I used to enjoy reading through the chatty threads

OBX - your visit sounds awesome, albeit short!

My parents haven't seen me since March and I'm sure would enjoy a visit.. unfortunately, that won't be til Christmas :(

May 25th, 2010 : Filed I-129F at CSC

June 1st, 2010 : NoA1

June 7th, 2010 : Touch

October 19th, 2010: Touch

October 20th, 2010: NoA2! (141 days)

November 8th, 2010: Received Packet 3 from Montreal

November 10th, 2010: Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

November 25th: Received Packet 4 & Scheduled interview!

March 8th, 2011: Interview in Montreal - Approved!

April 30th, 2011: Move to CA

May 6th, 2011: Married <3

May 31st, 2011: Filed AOS

June 6th, 2011: NoA1

June 13th, 2011: Received Notice for Biometrics

July 7th, 2011: Biometrics

August 22, 2011: AOS Interview - Approved!

August 29th, 2011: Greencard in hand!

Timeline

Every morning I used to wake up, get my coffee, then read the new posts on the Canada Forum. It used to be a lot of fun chatting and catching up with everyone. That all seems to be gone. Now I only see process-related questions. I miss the chat. :(

Im still here..just been kinda depressed lately and didn't want to bring it here to you guys so i've been staying away..i used to post advice and stuff to help others who are going through it..but lately..i just can't seem to get in a frame of mind to offer the advice. Seems i dont have much to say unless i'm crabbing or complaining lol and I don't wanna be "that chick"..:)

Hugs but ya..i missed the old friendliness we all seemed to have here.

HWDWm6.png

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

As somewhat of a new member, i love reading all the old threads! And i think this one is great!! Maybe it's a start to bringing those back :) i know i would love that. I think everyone gets stressed out in the beginning (filing) now that mine is done, and all i have to do is wait, i love to log into VJ and read what everyone is doing :) ... whether its related to the visa process or not... it think it's way cool to get to make friends with people going threw the same thing as everyone else..

As for the original post, i dont think id get the pre wedding jitters. I did spend almost 3 months in the US with my fiance (not being able to work or anything) i did do the house wife thing for the whole time i was there. We had talked about marriage before, but we actually wanted to make sure we would get along for a long amount of time (not get on each others nerves :P ) Playing "house wife" for a while wasnt too bad. we did so much together and he's in school and working 2 jobs so i was extremly happy to be able to help with the house work. (one less thing for him to do while hes in school) but at least now i know what im in for, when i'll be waiting for my EAD Card :)So after an amazing 3 months, we got engaged :) and now im here waiting for my NOA2 :)

So lets hope everyone keeps this going. Would love to get to know alot of people on here :)

2009 JANUARY ** - MET ONLINE

2010 MAY 17 - MET IN PERSON

2010 OCTOBER 9 - 2ND VISIT TO U.S

2010 NOVEMBER 30 - 3RD VISIT, HE COMES TO CANADA TO MEET MY PARENTS

2011 APRIL 17 - 4TH VISIT SPENT 3 MONTHS IN U.S WITH HIM!!! :)

2011 JULY 11 - ENGAGED

2011 AUGUST 5 - SENT I-129F TO DALLAS

2011 AUGUST 11 - NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL

2011 AUGUST 15 - NOA1 HARDCOPY

2011 AUGUST 17 - CHECK CASHED

.....WAITING.....

2011 OCTOBER 14 - BROKE UP... BYE BYE DREAM ....

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Im still here..just been kinda depressed lately and didn't want to bring it here to you guys so i've been staying away..i used to post advice and stuff to help others who are going through it..but lately..i just can't seem to get in a frame of mind to offer the advice. Seems i dont have much to say unless i'm crabbing or complaining lol and I don't wanna be "that chick"..:)

Hugs but ya..i missed the old friendliness we all seemed to have here.

Hey!!! That chick is back!! lol :bonk:

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Yes please distract me from the boredom of waiting on my EAD so I can actually work....I think I'm starting to go crazy!

K-1 Filed - Sept 27/10

NOA1 - Sept 28/10

NOA2 - Feb 16/11

NVC rec - Feb 28/11

NVC left - March 1/11

Con rec - March 4/11

P3 sent - March 8/11

P3 return - March 15/11

P3 logged - March 25/11

P4 sent - March 26/11

Medical - April 6/11

Interview - April 28/11 - Approved

Visa in hand - May 5/11

POE - May 13/11

SSN applied - June 1/11

Wedding - June 6/11

AOS/EAD/AP Sent - July 5/11

NOA1 - Aug 9/11

Biometrics - Sept 6/11

EAD/AP approved Sept 14/11

AOS Interview Oct 21/11

Filed: Timeline

This is great! It's so nice to see some chatter again! Sorry you're down, Kimbear. :( I can totally relate. I'm sure we all can.

You know what super-giant sucks? I got a call from one of my best friends (in Canada) last night inviting me over for a glass of wine. (Oh, the good old days.) Turns out she and I were both on the west coast at the same time and she was right down the street from us. :o:crying: And the same thought had run through each of our heads about calling to let each other know. I used to see her every day at work, and then in the evenings or the weekends, too, so we'd always know what was going on with each other. It's so sad that we have let the distance get between us. :( I can't wait to tell on her to my aunt (which is where we were staying). She is totally going to kill her and I'm going to love it. :lol: They know each other and my aunt is going to freak that she didn't come and stay with them. lol

So then she tells me about one of our co-workers who just can't seem to cut a break. She and her husband weren't getting along so they got a divorce. Then their son committed suicide. Well now he's gone and crashed his plane and is paralyzed. He was only 30 feet from the ground when it happened so that's why he's still alive. Man.

Good morning everyone. :star:

iagree.gif

Good morning!

I'm leaving for the airport in an hour to pick up my love, who is flying in for a glorious 2-week vacation with me and the kidlets! Can you see my grin from there?

We've never spent more than 2-1/2 weeks together at a stretch and I know it's going to be tough on all of us to move across the continent and be insta-family, but I cannot wait to be with him full time!

The K-1 Visa journey for myself and my two K-2 children:

K-1: NOA1 2011-8-10; NOA2 2012-1-12; Interview 2012-4-24; Visa issued 2012-9-17; POE (Sarnia) 2012-9-26; Wedding! 2012-10-02
AOS: NOA1 2012-11-20; Biometrics 2012-12-14; AP/EAD approved 2013-1-11; Interview 2013-1-31; 2-yr Green cards in hand 2013-2-9 (101 days total)

ROC: NOA1 11-7-14; Biometrics 12-1-14; 10-yr Green cards ordered 4-13-15! (157 days total)

Counting down to naturalization time!

Timeline

I got some good news on my job today. A big part of my job (at least for the first couple of months) was going door to door seeing if people wanted a free roof inspection, with the hopes of them eventually selecting us a their contractor (there was a HUGE hail storm here this spring....apparently the biggest storm in the nation and there are over 200000 insurance claims). Once you get a few jobs signed and completed, you start getting referals and don't really need to go door to door as much.

I HATE doing the door to door thing. As a former homeowner, I despised when someone came to the door trying to sell me something (but understood they were just trying to earn a living as well), so I feel a bit hypocritical doing this job. But at the same time it is a service the majority of homeowners in this are need, and many don't actually realize that they can have damage.

But there is one guy in our office who is SUPER busy, and hardly has time for all of his appointments and such. Since I was able to pick up all the paperwork stuff pretty much as soon as I was shown it, our office manager talked to him to see if he wanted help doing his paperwork. So I will be able to work a couple days a week, and make a portion of his commission (he has made $100 000 in just over 4 weeks!!). I should be able to make pretty decent money by working those couple of days a week. And if I get any calls from referals from friends, then I can still do those jobs as well. I am very happy!! The office is about a 5 min walk from where I live, so it is perfect!!

It seems that finally, something is going our way :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I never hire people that come door to door!! Too many scams!! But thats just me,lol Glad its working out for ya, that's good stuff!!!

Saskatoon got pelted hail last week!! Think my parents house was ok, but many others were not so lucky. Once again, mother nature showing who is in charge.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Kimbear

Most days I am "that chick" as well. Don't feel bad about feeling bad, you are in good company here. :)

Krikit

Keeping up with friends really is the tough part. When I travel back to Canada it is exhausting trying to fit everything into everyone's schedule and I just have my boys and one couple to see.

Wow that's terrible news about your co-worker. Makes us realize how insignificant our problems are.

CAdreamer

Have a great time!

That is one thing I do not miss...travelling back and forth to the airport. After 10 years of a long-distance relationship I think my car could have driven itself to the Buffalo airport and back!

Colleens

Good luck! I could never be a salesman and like flames I never buy anything from anyone at the door. Heck I won't even open my door if i don't know who it is!

Have a great weekend everyone. :)

Edited by OBX

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

I am amazed at how receptive most people are, but I guess when everyone has damage and it is taking months to get a contractor out to do the work, they are hoping someone can get it done faster....especially if their roof has needed to be tarped, or they have leaks. We are a local company with very good reputation, but are also members of a national network. This allows us to pull crews in from other parts of the country to do the work. We are getting our jobs done in 2-3 weeks where most companies here are 2-3 months.

Edited to add: When doing the door to door stuff you just have to look at that you are most likely are only going to see that person once, so if they are not receptive...it is no big deal

Edited by Colleens

Timeline

Oh yes the good old days. I 'member those times.

I find this place got so whiny so fast... no one wanted to search for information - you suddenly had so many threads asking the same questions. Which is fine, it's an immigration forum. I keep up with most of the old posters on facebook. Still I know what you mean krikit, it used to be a lot of fun here.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

I got some good news on my job today. A big part of my job (at least for the first couple of months) was going door to door seeing if people wanted a free roof inspection, with the hopes of them eventually selecting us a their contractor (there was a HUGE hail storm here this spring....apparently the biggest storm in the nation and there are over 200000 insurance claims). Once you get a few jobs signed and completed, you start getting referals and don't really need to go door to door as much.

I HATE doing the door to door thing. As a former homeowner, I despised when someone came to the door trying to sell me something (but understood they were just trying to earn a living as well), so I feel a bit hypocritical doing this job. But at the same time it is a service the majority of homeowners in this are need, and many don't actually realize that they can have damage.

But there is one guy in our office who is SUPER busy, and hardly has time for all of his appointments and such. Since I was able to pick up all the paperwork stuff pretty much as soon as I was shown it, our office manager talked to him to see if he wanted help doing his paperwork. So I will be able to work a couple days a week, and make a portion of his commission (he has made $100 000 in just over 4 weeks!!). I should be able to make pretty decent money by working those couple of days a week. And if I get any calls from referals from friends, then I can still do those jobs as well. I am very happy!! The office is about a 5 min walk from where I live, so it is perfect!!

It seems that finally, something is going our way :thumbs:

That's pretty cool if you can successfully team up - I couldn't do door-to-door myself...not resilient enough ;)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.