homesick_american

New here, panicking, need help

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, new here...I'm American, hubby's British.

I moved to the UK in 2001 and have been here ever since, so our petition is being handled by the US embassy in London.

We had our visa interview (applying for immigrant visa) on 9/11/06. The visa interview itself was fine, no problems.

Then came the medical.

On the form it asked if hubby had depression, he said yes. I wasn't in the room so this is all secondhand info. The doc asked him how long he'd been on anti-depressants, since he indicated that he was taking citalopram. He said since March. Doc says she needed a letter from his GP, and the form we showed the GP asked about 'diagnosis', 'suicidal/aggressive tendencies', 'treatment', and 'prognosis.'

I am FREAKING OUT. My husband is not suicidal or aggressive though like many depressives he has had the occasional suicidal THOUGHT, though he went straight to his doctor and his doctor said he should not worry, he considered him to be low/no risk for suicide and that he's a very sane/rational individual. Doc said there is a big difference between suicidal ideation (a normal symptom of depression) and suicidal intentions (which hubby has never had, EVER).

Hubby has never been on incapacity/disability benefits for any reason, and his depression has never interfered with his ability to function day-to-day. He is very stable and rational. He's currently in therapy and is making good progress, and the doc says his prognosis is good. He has never self-harmed, never neglected me/himself, and has never acted aggressively towards anyone ever.

Should we be panicking? Oh god, I can't stand this. I never knew this could even be an issue. I mean, he is SQUEAKY CLEAN except for this.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Research the threads of the member tigretigre for some information regarding this type of 'condition'.

I think you will find the helpful and inspirational.

Tigretigre doesn't seem to have an answer yet; I'm sorry, I don't feel any better! :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Filed: Other Timeline

Research the threads of the member tigretigre for some information regarding this type of 'condition'.

I think you will find the helpful and inspirational.

Tigretigre doesn't seem to have an answer yet; I'm sorry, I don't feel any better! :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Approved Friday. Research her member name. Her explanations as to what they did are very detailed and helpful.

OK, I was researching and found this on the USCIS's own website:

Are all physical or mental disorders considered “medically-related grounds of ineligibility”?

No. The Civil Surgeon or Panel Physician must determine that there is no harmful behavior associated with the disorder in question. If you have a history of a physical or a mental disorder, there must be a harmful behavior that is likely to recur in order for it to make you ineligible. If your condition has no associated harmful behavior, then you can proceed with your application process.

In his case there's no 'harmful behavior' since he has never self-harmed, never threatened or attempted suicide, and has never harmed another human being. So, I think we're cool.

PHEW!

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/medical_exam.htm#diso

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

We aren't the ones giving you a visa so what we think might make you FEEL better but won't be fact...

read the thread posted...do all the things you are supposed to do...and then wait like we all do....

sorry but no one can give you a definitive answer.

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

The reason I cited tigretigre is because hers was an excellent example of how to handle this scenario. Her posts are quite detailed.

No one here can guarantee your success. We can however point you in the direction of others who have had similar obstacles, and overcome them successfully.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.