21 posts in this topic

Sup guys.

I'm a K1 visa guy who is now married to my beautiful wife in Texas :).

My question is, does that mean the 90 day time limit has not been lifted, or do we need to apply for AOS before we can rest? It will have been 90 days on the 12th, so I want to know if I need to make 100% sure we've applied for AOS by then, or if we can take it easy and wait 'til her next paycheck (since it's quite expensive!).

Thanks!

Aug 20 2010 - NOA1 received.
Feb 08 2011 - NOA2 email received.
Apr 27 2011 - Interview attended at US Embassy, visa approved :D!
May 26 2011 - Arrived in the USA
Aug 02 2011 - Married!
Aug 24 2011 - Diagnosed with cancer
Aug 26 2011 - Applied for IR1/CR1 visa
Aug 31 2011 - NOA1!
Sep 03 2011 - Moved back to the UK
Feb 20 2012 - Wife flew back to the USA
Mar 03 2012 - NOA2!
Mar 23 2012 - NVC received file
Jul 15 2012 - NVC approved, sent to embassy

2012 - Approved, flew back to USA!

Sep 29 2014 - Applied for removal of conditions.

Apr 20 2015 - RFE1 on removal of conditions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You don't have to apply for AOS before the 90days are finished, but technically you cannot rest until you have the green card in your hand.

When you have the green card you are a legal resident, can work, travel and have proof of your status.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Thanks guys, so I can at least leave it til her next paycheck.

Thanks again!

Aug 20 2010 - NOA1 received.
Feb 08 2011 - NOA2 email received.
Apr 27 2011 - Interview attended at US Embassy, visa approved :D!
May 26 2011 - Arrived in the USA
Aug 02 2011 - Married!
Aug 24 2011 - Diagnosed with cancer
Aug 26 2011 - Applied for IR1/CR1 visa
Aug 31 2011 - NOA1!
Sep 03 2011 - Moved back to the UK
Feb 20 2012 - Wife flew back to the USA
Mar 03 2012 - NOA2!
Mar 23 2012 - NVC received file
Jul 15 2012 - NVC approved, sent to embassy

2012 - Approved, flew back to USA!

Sep 29 2014 - Applied for removal of conditions.

Apr 20 2015 - RFE1 on removal of conditions.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I actualy know someone who is about 1 1/2 years from k1 and they still havent filed their AOS. The 90 days is just to validate the K1. For some reason though, they really dont seem to have a time frame on when you should file the AOS. Personaly, I believe the sooner the better. Im a worrier, so we did file the AOS within the 90 days.

~~~ Hes the chance Im taking ~~~

April 2007 - Met online

Oct. 2008 - He came to Canada to meet me

Dec 25 2009 officially engaged

March 2010 - sent off I-129F

March 27 2010 - Vermont receives package :)

April 3 2010 - Informed through mail that cheque is cashed NOA1

May 28 2010 - RFE notification ( yeah Im online checking alot >.< )

June 5 2010 - RFE hardcopy received

June 18 2010 - RFE returned ( had done it June 7 - but USPS returned grrrr )

--- case says we should hear from them in 60 days from June 18 ---

June 23 - Touched

Aug4 - Email notification of NoA2 :)

Aug. 10 - NOA2 Hardcopy received

Sept. 13 - Faxed off Package 3

Sept 14 - Interview notification set for Oct. 5

Oct. 5 2010 Interview Passed

March 17 2011 POE Canadian/US border

April 1 2011 Marriage

Mailed AOS June 1

Chicago Lockbox confirms delivery June 3

Check cashed through bank - notification June 9

No, you do not need to file the I-130 at all if you married within the 90 days.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I may be wrong on this.

If you file the I-485 before the 90 days while you are still in status, you do not need to file the I-130.

If you wait after the 90 days on your K-1 visa and you are out of status, you will need to file the I-130 which will cost you another $400.

You only use the I-130 if you wait years to file AOS from the K-1. It is not advised at all to wait years because you are out of status all thos years and could get caught. Not to mention you cant travel outside the USA or work!

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Country:
Timeline
No, you do not need to file the I-130 at all if you married within the 90 days.

Actually if you wait so long that USCIS can't issue a Conditional Greencard then you will need an approved I-130.

The reason for this is that USCIS can only issue a Conditional Greencard as a result of AOS based on K-1 but if you've been married 2 years when they approve your case then they can't issue you a Conditional Greencard so they may deny your AOS. There have been cases on VJ where they were denied and some where they were RFE'd or told they need to file an I-130

Actually if you wait so long that USCIS can't issue a Conditional Greencard then you will need an approved I-130.

The reason for this is that USCIS can only issue a Conditional Greencard as a result of AOS based on K-1 but if you've been married 2 years when they approve your case then they can't issue you a Conditional Greencard so they may deny your AOS. There have been cases on VJ where they were denied and some where they were RFE'd or told they need to file an I-130

Yes, I am familiar with these cases. There have also been cases where someone was married over 3 years, filed AOS without I-130, and was approved for a conditional GC. So it is possible to AOS without I-130 after two years. If you can show these cases of RFE or denial, please do. Jim has stated he can't find them anymore. This is a complicated issue, one which the OP didn't even ask about, so why bring it up? It is not the issue at hand and it makes it more confusing. Jojo's confusion has been addressed.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Yes, I am familiar with these cases. There have also been cases where someone was married over 3 years, filed AOS without I-130, and was approved for a conditional GC. So it is possible to AOS without I-130 after two years. If you can show these cases of RFE or denial, please do. Jim has stated he can't find them anymore. This is a complicated issue, one which the OP didn't even ask about, so why bring it up? It is not the issue at hand and it makes it more confusing. Jojo's confusion has been addressed.

I bring them up because I believe it's irresponsible to ignore them. In any matter which affects the lives of my loved ones I will always error on the side of caution therefore any input or advice I give others in similar situations will include that concept of erroring on the side of caution.

See if they wait until 2 year after entry & marriage and don't file an I-130 they can have major negative consequences up to and including deportation proceedings. Of course they would win eventually but it would still place them in from of an immigration judge and they'd most likely have spent several thousand on a lawyer.

Now if the file an I-130 and it's not needed then the worse negative consequence if that they wasted $420.00. So you tell me, which would be the safest route with least chance of financial & emotional damage to the family as a whole?

The issue really isn't any more complicated than I just summed it up as, why pretend it doesn't exist? Will you bear the negative impact if someone follows your advice that ignores the possibility?

So sure it's possible to successfully file AOS after 2 years without the I-130 but there are 2 other possible outcomes to the situation and anyone who ignores that FACT is playing fast & loose with someone else's life...

Besides, when the AOS after 2 years is successful without an I-130 then the IO is effectively not following the law, why would you simply assume that an IO wouldn't follow the law as it's written?

Edited by Bob 4 Anna

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Sup guys.

I'm a K1 visa guy who is now married to my beautiful wife in Texas :).

My question is, does that mean the 90 day time limit has not been lifted, or do we need to apply for AOS before we can rest? It will have been 90 days on the 12th, so I want to know if I need to make 100% sure we've applied for AOS by then, or if we can take it easy and wait 'til her next paycheck (since it's quite expensive!).

Thanks!

Texas - you need to apply before your 90 days is up.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Texas - you need to apply before your 90 days is up.

No, you don't. The requirement is to MARRY within the 90 day period.

The reason most people file immediately after marriage is for the convenience factor. The sooner you get your EAD/AP/green card then the sooner you can work, get your driving licence sorted and start building a history of your relationship from marriage ready for the RoC 2 years down the line. The majority of us want to get it mailed in so we can live without worrying about USCIS for a couple of years-ish.

Many people don't even get their marriage certificate for a couple of months after marriage, so filing within 90 days would be impossible. USCIS understands that these things happen, people who have just got married tend to be short on ready cash and life happens.

OP, just get yourself straight and gather your paperwork. Once you are ready, file the AoS. Don't be confused by the above posts that aren't relevant to your situation. :)

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Besides, when the AOS after 2 years is successful without an I-130 then the IO is effectively not following the law, why would you simply assume that an IO wouldn't follow the law as it's written?

I would suggest a I-130 if you don't file until after 2 years of marriage as well. It is a good idea. I would definitely do it myself. I completely understand all of the ramifications.

If a I-485 is approved after 2 years without an I-130, the IO is following the law. The law states a K-1 entrant adjusts to a conditional PR. To say it is impossible is incorrect. There is proof on this forum that this has and can happen. If you can show the proof of the other possibilities, it would be helpful. Jim (whose posts you are basing this information on) has stated that he cannot find them anymore. I believe him that they exist, but it would be better to find them.

People in this thread are confused about whether you have to file within the 90 days. To bring this aspect, the multiple outcomes of waiting over two years is confusing people. Not every thread has to be an essay, and answering the OP's question without going into all of the "what-ifs" is not irresponsible. I believe it is clear and more helpful.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.