Sergi9

Why do Russians Hate Ice?

132 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Medicine is not my area of expertise. Heating, cooling and mechanical systems are.

I fail to see where we disagree though. Cold liquid applied internally does not reduce body tempoerature unless it were circulated back out as you suggest if done to warm the body. Warm liquid can raise body temperature because it deposits heat from another source.

If I am wrong about ice being used commonly, it is only because when I once passed out from heat exhaustion I woke up in the ambulance with cold packs around my body (over my clothes) and was given intravenous fluids at room temperature in the ER. It was my understanding that this is a common treatment for this condition.

Ice used to be used this way and still may be in some places. But I still disagree about your saying that putting cold liquid into your body does not reduce temperature! While TOTAL HEAT may not be less, TEMPERATURE will be reduced proportionately to the relative mass and temperature of the warm body and the cold liquid! This is simple thermodynamics which we both use in our respective lines of work. Remember, the cold liquid raises the mass of the warm body so that total heat is not lost, yet temperature of the combination is now less.

I think we agree that this is a foolish way to try to lose weight. And in replying to you I think I may have answered the question posed by the OP! :rofl: (if you are cold and shivering very much of the time why would you like ice?) :bonk:

So YOU were making fun of your wife?

Oh let's say yeah, sure. Is that not something RUB men do? We've never seen, say, Slim poke a little fun at his wife? Or...you?

But once again Gary, it was a joke. You should seriously lighten up. You will be a happier person. :yes:

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Oh let's say yeah, sure. Is that not something RUB men do? We've never seen, say, Slim poke a little fun at his wife? Or...you?

But once again Gary, it was a joke. You should seriously lighten up. You will be a happier person. :yes:

Are we STILL talking about this?

If I was any happier I couldn't stand it!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Ice used to be used this way and still may be in some places. But I still disagree about your saying that putting cold liquid into your body does not reduce temperature! While TOTAL HEAT may not be less, TEMPERATURE will be reduced proportionately to the relative mass and temperature of the warm body and the cold liquid! This is simple thermodynamics which we both use in our respective lines of work. Remember, the cold liquid raises the mass of the warm body so that total heat is not lost, yet temperature of the combination is now less.

I think we agree that this is a foolish way to try to lose weight. And in replying to you I think I may have answered the question posed by the OP! :rofl: (if you are cold and shivering very much of the time why would you like ice?) :bonk:

I think the topic diverged into this realm of losing weight by drinking cold water in an attempt to lose weight by "burning calories" to warm the water you drink. :wacko: Thermodynamics is getting a little too technical to answer such a ludicrous theory.

Without going into thermodynamics (why? with someone that thinks drinking cold water will cause you to lose weight?) My intent was to illustrate that there are no calories "burned".

Because they are still retained in the body, at least until the next time you take a whizz. (that's a technical term)

Gary And Alla

:lol:

I HATE when that happens! :lol:

Try telling her it happens when two languages have a similar word with different meanings. "Kak" is a good example.

We recently saw a guy on a motorcycle with a T-shirt reading "A good rub makes superior meat". Just white letters on a black tee, nothing else. I assumed the guy worked in a restaurant, and had fifteen minute conversation about "rub with what?", and "what kind of meat?", and then finally, "why is this funny in English?". All about the cultural context I guess :lol:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I think the topic diverged into this realm of losing weight by drinking cold water in an attempt to lose weight by "burning calories" to warm the water you drink. :wacko: Thermodynamics is getting a little too technical to answer such a ludicrous theory.

Without going into thermodynamics (why? with someone that thinks drinking cold water will cause you to lose weight?) My intent was to illustrate that there are no calories "burned".

Because they are still retained in the body, at least until the next time you take a whizz. (that's a technical term)

Yep, this has gotten way too technical for this forum! I could, but I won't, take it up yet another notch or two to 'prove' my point. :lol:

Timeline

We recently saw a guy on a motorcycle with a T-shirt reading "A good rub makes superior meat". Just white letters on a black tee, nothing else. I assumed the guy worked in a restaurant, and had fifteen minute conversation about "rub with what?", and "what kind of meat?", and then finally, "why is this funny in English?". All about the cultural context I guess :lol:

:rofl:

Alla asked me one day "All my students laughed when I said 'OK we are going to work on oral skills today'" She changed to "pronunciation" after that.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Alla loves to play scrabble and she...cheats. She will take my letters, run words right off the board and transliterate Russian words using roman letters. I am supposed to indulge all this (this is when I play the father to a precious daughter role) and she makes up words from out of nowhere. :lol: I force her to define these words which always end up being something provocative. The other day she spelled the word "OQ" What is an OQ? She just points....down. Then said "actually it is an "OQA" becuse it is feminine" :lol:

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I only have ice for you, see man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

:lol:

I HATE when that happens! :lol:

Try telling her it happens when two languages have a similar word with different meanings. "Kak" is a good example.

That's why I like Spanish so much :lol:

Spanish classes were funny, especially at first, due to the fact that so many Spanish words actually sound like Russian curse or at least pretty mean words.

It gets even funnier when you compare Slavic languages, when words with the same roots from Russian and Czech/Polish have the exact opposite meanings.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Other people are often wrong when replying to my posts.

So when you are wrong about a subject, you go to the internet and find a lot of other people that are wrong about a different subject and then ...you are right? :unsure: Glad to hear you support the theory of man-made global warming.

It may just be me but if I am wrong I will suaully say "I stand corrected" and let it go at that.

Gary, you are very, very, very confused! :rofl:

Go back to where our conversation originated and then see if you can follow along. :rofl:

I'll spell it out for you....My point was in response to this comment you made:

Google hits are not a basis for science.

My point (since it went over your head) is that you can use google hits as a science. I proved it to you by showing the 700,000 people on the internet that have used "mute point" which is not a saying/phrase....When you compare the google hits on "moot point" you get 3.1 million..."Moot point" is correct and you can clearly see that when comparing the hits.

pyCmm.png

Hw74H.png

I'm not saying this is a common or good way to go about things. I'm just saying that it CAN be done.

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Timeline

Gary, you are very, very, very confused! :rofl:

Go back to where our conversation originated and then see if you can follow along. :rofl:

I'll spell it out for you....My point was in response to this comment you made:

My point (since it went over your head) is that you can use google hits as a science. I proved it to you by showing the 700,000 people on the internet that have used "mute point" which is not a saying/phrase....When you compare the google hits on "moot point" you get 3.1 million..."Moot point" is correct and you can clearly see that when comparing the hits.

pyCmm.png

Hw74H.png

I'm not saying this is a common or good way to go about things. I'm just saying that it CAN be done.

It is often used by supporters of the theory of man-made global warming. Thankfully so.

The point you missed is that I do not need google to tell me "mute point" is stupid. Thankfully I do not need to spend any of my life looking up such nonsense.

For lunch, I might suggest a sandwich made of fresh bread and sloppy wet garbage. 8 billion flies can't be wrong.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

It is often used by supporters of the theory of man-made global warming. Thankfully so.

The point you missed is that I do not need google to tell me "mute point" is stupid. Thankfully I do not need to spend any of my life looking up such nonsense.

For lunch, I might suggest a sandwich made of fresh bread and sloppy wet garbage. 8 billion flies can't be wrong.

Man made global warming is not a theory.

My suggestion is to quickly accept that the scientific community is smarter than you and that you are wrong.

Edited by Lord Infamous

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Timeline

The science is clear

Scientists are no longer debating the basic facts of climate change. In February 2007, the thousands of scientific experts collectively known as the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) concluded that there is greater than 90 percent likelihood that people are causing global warming. (IPCC, 2007)

These latest findings amplify what other highly respected science organizations say:

• In a joint statement with 10 other National Academies of Science, the U.S. National Academy of Sciences said:

"The scientific understanding of climate change is now sufficiently clear to justify nations taking prompt action. It is vital that all nations identify cost-effective steps that they can take now, to contribute to substantial and long-term reduction in net global greenhouse gas emissions."—
    Joint Statement of Science Academies: Global Response to Climate Change, 2005

• The American Geophysical Union, a respected organization comprising over 41,000 Earth and space scientists, wrote in its position on climate change that "natural influences cannot explain the rapid increase in global near-surface temperatures observed during the second half of the 20th century."

----------------------------------

Scientists expect that, in the absence of effective policies to reduce greenhouse gas pollution, the global average temperature will increase, on the low end, 2.0 degrees Fahrenheit , and on the high end, 11.5 degrees Fahrenheit by 2100.

That might not sound like a lot, but even if the temperature change is at the small end of the predictions, the changes to the climate are expected to be serious: more intense storms, more pronounced droughts, coastal areas more severely eroded by rising seas. At the high end of the predictions, the world could face abrupt, catastrophic and irreversible consequences. Find out more about what a warmer world could look like.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.