karah0215

3rd time refused by DMV Alabama

33 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi fellow VJ's,

for the 3rd time, DMV refused me to take the learners permit for DL even i showed the I-130 approval notice and the I-485 welcome to the USA letter. she told us to just wait until the greencard arrived since they are going to based that for the expiration of my DL. ( what???)

1st time refusal: we went there and showed the EAD and SSN. she was looking for aprroval notice.we didn't have yet at that time. i even brought all the documents received from USCIS and even the interview letter.still didn't work.

2nd time: talked already to the Corporal. he refused us.he said i was already out of status. he based it through my I-94 and when the USCIS received it. it has been 6 days that i was out of status when the USCIS received our AOS packet.

During our interview on July 27, Atlanta, Georgia, even the IO was surprised that they didn't let me take the drivers license test compared to other state that as long as u showed your EAD and SSN, would be fine and they will let you.our lawyer even said, DMV people here are idiot. they were not fully aware of the immigration thing.

I'm getting irritated with them already. what else they would like me to show. well, when the time comes and received the GC, i hope they won't make ANY EXCUSES anymore to deny or refused me!

Hi fellow VJ's,

for the 3rd time, DMV refused me to take the learners permit for DL even i showed the I-130 approval notice and the I-485 welcome to the USA letter. she told us to just wait until the greencard arrived since they are going to based that for the expiration of my DL. ( what???)

1st time refusal: we went there and showed the EAD and SSN. she was looking for aprroval notice.we didn't have yet at that time. i even brought all the documents received from USCIS and even the interview letter.still didn't work.

2nd time: talked already to the Corporal. he refused us.he said i was already out of status. he based it through my I-94 and when the USCIS received it. it has been 6 days that i was out of status when the USCIS received our AOS packet.

During our interview on July 27, Atlanta, Georgia, even the IO was surprised that they didn't let me take the drivers license test compared to other state that as long as u showed your EAD and SSN, would be fine and they will let you.our lawyer even said, DMV people here are idiot. they were not fully aware of the immigration thing.

I'm getting irritated with them already. what else they would like me to show. well, when the time comes and received the GC, i hope they won't make ANY EXCUSES anymore to deny or refused me!

You have to go by what your state's DMV says. Just because immigration says one thing doesn't mean that is how it's done. Two completely different offices. I'm telling you this from experience. Florida is a pain in the royal rear with documents, yet I know they do it that way because so many illegals have DLs.

Married in Dominican Republic: 4-Sept-2010

I-130 Packet arrives at Chicago Lockbox: 29-Sept-2010

NOA1: 06-Oct-2010

NOA2: 19-Jan-2011

NVC Received file from CSC: 27-Jan-2011

Received DS-3032 and AOS bill: 27-Jan-2011

Paid AOS bill: 28-Jan-2011

Submitted DS-3032 via email (per NVC's authorization): 30-Jan-2011

Called NVC about AOS packet: 3-Feb-2011 (okay to send documents)

Mailed out AOS packet: 5-Feb-2011

AOS packet delivered to NVC: 7-Feb-2011

DS-3032 received by NVC: 8-Feb-2011

NVC Acknowleges AOS payment: 8-Feb-2011 (finally)

Received IV Bill: 14-Feb-2011

Paid IV Bill: 14-Feb-2011

NVC Acknowledges AOS paperwork was received and requests IV application: 25-Feb-2011

Mailed out DS-230 and supporting civil documents: 26-Feb-2011

DS-230 packet delivered to NVC: 28-Feb-2011

Case completed at NVC: 28-Mar-2011

Waited about 2 weeks for an interview date

Received packet 4 and interview appointment letter: 11-Apr-2011

Interview scheduled at Santo Domingo: 4-May-2011

Spouse had Medical Exam: 15-Apr-2011

Visa Approved!!!! 4-May-2011

Husband received visa from DOMEX: 17-May-2011

Husband's POE date June 24, 2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your DL will have the same expiration of your GC when you get it. Means that your license expires when your green card does.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

You have to go by what your state's DMV says. Just because immigration says one thing doesn't mean that is how it's done. Two completely different offices. I'm telling you this from experience. Florida is a pain in the royal rear with documents, yet I know they do it that way because so many illegals have DLs.

Hi amesa,

really? Florida has a strict immigration thing also? do you have to show your GC before you were able to take the DL test? thanks

05/28/08 metin Alabama (public library). 2nd time to visit USA.

09/2008 wentback to the Philippines

12/2008visited me 1st time in the Philippines

05/2009visited me 2nd time in the Philippines

12/2009visited me 3rd time in the Philippines

09/22/10 cameto US on B1B2 visa ( POE: NY )

10/29/11visited me in NY

02/15/11 gotmarried in Alabama

TIMELINE(B1B2)

03/25/11sent AOS package I-130, I-485- I-765)

03/27/11USCIS received the AOS package ( Chicago Lockbox)

04/30/11received hardcopy of NOA1

05/07/11received biometrics appointment (05/20/11 biometrics appointment )

05/09/11medical appointment done

05/20/11Biometrics done

05/26/11Mailed RFE response (06/02/11 USCIS received RFE. Case is being processed atNBC)

06/16/11Card/ Document production

06/22/11USCIS mailed a notice that they approved I765 Application for EmploymentAuthorization

06/23/11received interview date notice

06/23/11received EAD card in the mail

06/27/11applied for SSN (waiting for the card but number is in hand)

07/27/11 Interviewdate. Checked USCIS website, says card/document production

08/01/11received I-130 has been approved and"Welcome to the United States of America" letter.

Checked the USCIS,changed to ordered production of your new card.

08/02/11checked the USCIS, changed to mailed a notice that we have approved the I485

Edited by karah0215

An approval notice can be faked more easily than a GC. Why didn't you check the state requirements before all of these wasted trips with improper IDs? You need the GC.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Your DL will have the same expiration of your GC when you get it. Means that your license expires when your green card does.

Hi Inky,

so what about those other states that they will allow you to have your DL even after showing the EAD and SSN? what are the basis of their expiration for their DL? thanks

Filed: Timeline

Hi fellow VJ's,

Driver's license comes under state law. The state of Alabama sets the requirements for a driver license. The federal government has no say in the requirements for a driver's license. Since the state of Alabama has told you that you need a green card to get a driver license, then that is what you need. Filing the I-130 and I-145 does not give you a right to a driver's license under Alabama state law.

Timeline

An approval notice can be faked more easily than a GC. Why didn't you check the state requirements before all of these wasted trips with improper IDs? You need the GC.

Hi Harpa,

yes, i did checked.it says, additional documents for non- US citizens:

- EAD with valid SSN

- valid visa ( with supporting docs) authorizing presence in the US for a period exceeding 160 days

_valid I-94

-original form I-797, notice of action, issued by the DHS showing approval of change of status

- original form I-797, notice of action, issued by DHS evidencing timely filing of an extension of stay

what i had before when i first went there was the I-94, EAD and SSN. then on the 2nd time, the corporal just based it on my I-94.

now the 3rd time, i showed the I-797 approval notice, EAD and SSN.

so i guess, i really have to wait for my GC. lucky for other states who was allowed just showing the EAD and SSN.

thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

weird as an F1 Student my driver's license had 8 years on it. lol

I live in NYC

this whole thing is bull really, `when you're gc expires your dl expires` i mean c'mon you have a gc.

Edited by vkn & jsb

09/01/2002 - Came to USA on an F-1

-
03/11/2011 - (Day 01) - AOs Package Delivered

08/08/2011 - (Day 150) - Green Card arrived

-

04/30/2013 - (Day 00) - I-751 Package Sent

05/01/2013 - (Day 01) - I-751 Package Delivered

01/16/2014 - (Day 261) - I-751 Interview, verbal approval on the spot

04/08/2014 - (Day 343) - I-751 Approved

-

04/28/2014 - (Day 00) - N-400 Package Sent

04/30/2014 - (Day 01) - N-400 Package Delivered

05/03/2014 - (Day 04) - NOA Receipt Date

05/27/2014 - (Day 29) - Walk-In Biometrics (original date was 06/04/2014)

06/27/2014 - (Day 60) - In Line for Interviewing

10/06/2014 - (Day 102) - Interview in Long Island City Field Office, Result: RFE given

10/06/2014 - (Day 102) - Responded RFE

01/23/2015 - (Day 211) - Naturalization Oath Ceremony

01/23/2015 - (Day 211) - US Citizen

Filed: Timeline

weird as an F1 Student my driver's license had 8 years on it. lol

I live in NYC

this whole thing is bull really, `when you're gc expires your dl expires` i mean c'mon you have a gc.

It's not weird. States are in charge of issuing driver licenses and each has their own requirements. The laws for driver licenses in NY are different from the laws in Alabama.

Filed: Other Timeline

Next to issues of multiple citizenships, driver licenses are my second pet peeve within the realm of immigration. Don't ask me why, as I won't tell you my secret.

That said, Alabama is quite strict when it comes to issuing a DL to a non US citizen.

Here's the sentence I want you to burn into your head:

Non-Citizens

You can drive in Alabama for one year, provided you have a valid foreign driver's license and an International Driver's Permit. This permit, issued by your home country, is not a substitute for the foreign license, but a translation of it that makes things easier for U.S. officials to understand.

Once you have your Green Card, you apply for an Alabama driver license by following this link:

http://dps.alabama.gov/Documents/Documents/DriverLicense-HowToObtain.pdf

It clearly tells you that the EAD you have is not sufficient documentation of a lawful status, as required by Alabama state law. You wasted time and effort by not reading what has been outlined very thoroughly.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi fellow VJ's,

Karah the same thing happened to me I am in Georgia state. I went for my license and had my EAD card and marriage cert and so on. They said I had to come back in 2 weeks as the system would not accept me. 2nd time went back still not accepting me told me call in one month. JUst before the month ended I got a call from DDS telling me I could go for my license as they were notified my GC had been approved. My 1st license expired the date my EAD did and then when I went back for the driving part it now expires when my GC does, It is really confusing as Georgia state says that all I needed was my EAD card but it was not enough and each state is different and they are a bunch of wankers in the DDS/MV system lol

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

oh alabama, guys what do you really expect from a state that allows cousins to get married....

Edited by vkn & jsb

09/01/2002 - Came to USA on an F-1

-
03/11/2011 - (Day 01) - AOs Package Delivered

08/08/2011 - (Day 150) - Green Card arrived

-

04/30/2013 - (Day 00) - I-751 Package Sent

05/01/2013 - (Day 01) - I-751 Package Delivered

01/16/2014 - (Day 261) - I-751 Interview, verbal approval on the spot

04/08/2014 - (Day 343) - I-751 Approved

-

04/28/2014 - (Day 00) - N-400 Package Sent

04/30/2014 - (Day 01) - N-400 Package Delivered

05/03/2014 - (Day 04) - NOA Receipt Date

05/27/2014 - (Day 29) - Walk-In Biometrics (original date was 06/04/2014)

06/27/2014 - (Day 60) - In Line for Interviewing

10/06/2014 - (Day 102) - Interview in Long Island City Field Office, Result: RFE given

10/06/2014 - (Day 102) - Responded RFE

01/23/2015 - (Day 211) - Naturalization Oath Ceremony

01/23/2015 - (Day 211) - US Citizen

Hi amesa,

really? Florida has a strict immigration thing also? do you have to show your GC before you were able to take the DL test? thanks

05/28/08 metin Alabama (public library). 2nd time to visit USA.

09/2008 wentback to the Philippines

12/2008visited me 1st time in the Philippines

05/2009visited me 2nd time in the Philippines

12/2009visited me 3rd time in the Philippines

09/22/10 cameto US on B1B2 visa ( POE: NY )

10/29/11visited me in NY

02/15/11 gotmarried in Alabama

TIMELINE(B1B2)

03/25/11sent AOS package I-130, I-485- I-765)

03/27/11USCIS received the AOS package ( Chicago Lockbox)

04/30/11received hardcopy of NOA1

05/07/11received biometrics appointment (05/20/11 biometrics appointment )

05/09/11medical appointment done

05/20/11Biometrics done

05/26/11Mailed RFE response (06/02/11 USCIS received RFE. Case is being processed atNBC)

06/16/11Card/ Document production

06/22/11USCIS mailed a notice that they approved I765 Application for EmploymentAuthorization

06/23/11received interview date notice

06/23/11received EAD card in the mail

06/27/11applied for SSN (waiting for the card but number is in hand)

07/27/11 Interviewdate. Checked USCIS website, says card/document production

08/01/11received I-130 has been approved and"Welcome to the United States of America" letter.

Checked the USCIS,changed to ordered production of your new card.

08/02/11checked the USCIS, changed to mailed a notice that we have approved the I485

Florida, back in 2008, did a major overhaul in their DMV area. Even citizens have to show a ton of documents confirming you are who you say you are before you can get a license or even to renew. I am a USC, but my husband just came here in June from the Dominican Rep and they wouldn't even let him do ANYTHING without all of his documents. He got his conditional residency card in 3 weeks, but we have been waiting for his SSN. Nothing had been processed as of this past Tuesday...he finally went into the office to request the card himself. He should have it soon...but my point is that each state's DMV has different requirements. YOu need to check those out instead of going by what immigration says.

NVC Acknowledges AOS paperwork was received and requests IV application: 25-Feb-2011

Hi Inky,

so what about those other states that they will allow you to have your DL even after showing the EAD and SSN? what are the basis of their expiration for their DL? thanks

In Florida, an immigrant who has never held a US driver's license, once they have all required documentation, pays $48 for the written test and the driver's test. Once the exams are passed, then the license is valid for one year only. Upon renewal, it's valid for the normal 6 or 7 years. The expiration date has nothing to do with the green card expiration.

Again, this is only for FL. YOu have to check with your state's DMV.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.