rsns

Need clarity on Packet 3 and interview scheduling process

6 posts in this topic

Filed: H-2B Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone who has been through the K1 visa process could help my fiancee and I with this.

Basically, we have not been approved by USCIS yet, but if all goes well, I think it will happen this month (Aug.), in which case, as far as I know, my fiancee would receive Packet 3 from the Mumbai consulate sometime in Sept.

The thing is, we have planned to do some pre-wedding events such as mehendi etc. in Delhi in Oct. (just for our relatives basically, since they won't be able to attend our wedding in the U.S.). My fiancee would be going to Delhi in Sept. to prepare for that. She is worried that she might have to leave her hometown for Delhi before she actually receives Packet 3 in the mail, which would delay everything.

Now, I see that we can download Packet 3 from the Mumbai Consulate web site. My questions to anyone who has been through this (and preferably through the Mumbai Consulate) are:

1) Is the Packet 3 package that the Mumbai Consulate sends out by mail exactly identical to what we can download from their web site (http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/media/pdf-visas/k1-visa-information--packet-3.pdf)? If so, then I suppose that my fiancee could start working on this anytime and if she ends up leaving for Delhi before the hard copy arrives in the mail, that wouldn't matter.

2) If indeed the hard copy of Packet 3 that they mail out is identical to what you can get online, then I am a bit confused-- this online version doesn't say anything about how to schedule the interview date. So, then am I correct to assume that the consulate themselves would contact my fiancee (how-- by phone?) to schedule the interview date? Or does she have to call the consulate to schedule it? If this is the case, things would still work out fine since she can just call using her cell phone even if she is in Delhi...

Basically we just want to know that if she has to leave her hometown for Delhi before receiving the package in the mail from the consulate, will she still have everything covered if she had already followed the instructions from the online version? And, how would the interview be scheduled?

Thanks so much for any help you can give!

Edited by boomba212

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I'm going through the process through Mumbai consulate for K1 right now.

1: Yes, it's the same as what you see on the website.

2. Once you mail in the documents for packet three, your fiance with get packet 4 (which includes the interview date.) But you need to make sure you drop off the documents that are required for packet 4 at your nearest VFS office 7-10 days prior to your interview date.

Just an fyi regarding timing, my NOA2 was approved on June 17th and we just received our packet 3 from the consulate.

Hope this helps.

M.

10FEB11: FedEx I129F Packet to Lewisville, TX

14FEB11: NOA1 "Received Date"

18FEB11: Touched

17JUN11: NOA2 hard copy

19JUL11: NVC Received

21JUL11: Embassy Received

25JUL11: Packet 3 Sent from Embassy

03AUG11: Emailed packet 3 to Embassy

07SEP11: Interview

Timeline

2. Once you mail in the documents for packet three, your fiance with get packet 4 (which includes the interview date.) But you need to make sure you drop off the documents that are required for packet 4 at your nearest VFS office 7-10 days prior to your interview date.

Just an fyi regarding timing, my NOA2 was approved on June 17th and we just received our packet 3 from the consulate.

Hope this helps.

M.

Yes, that helps, thanks! So basically she will not have any choice in the interview date-- it will be decided for her, correct? I guess you probably haven't gotten your interview date yet, right? Just wondering how far off a date you would get. I'm expecting/hoping that it would be about a month after she sends in her Packet 3 forms.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Yes, the consulate decides on the interview date. I'm emailing the consulate all the packet three forms today....And I think her interview will be in late September.

10FEB11: FedEx I129F Packet to Lewisville, TX

14FEB11: NOA1 "Received Date"

18FEB11: Touched

17JUN11: NOA2 hard copy

19JUL11: NVC Received

21JUL11: Embassy Received

25JUL11: Packet 3 Sent from Embassy

03AUG11: Emailed packet 3 to Embassy

07SEP11: Interview

Timeline

Yes, the consulate decides on the interview date. I'm emailing the consulate all the packet three forms today....And I think her interview will be in late September.

Thanks. One more thing-- I am downloading the forms needed with Packet 3 from the Mumbai Consulate web site. The Packet 3 instructions say to fill out form DS-156 (Nonimmigrant Visa Application), but on the Mumbai Consulate web site I see that they have a DS-156 and also a DS-156-K (Nonimmigrant Fiance(e) Visa Application). Do you or anyone else happen to know which one my fiancee should fill?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hope this helps.

M.

I'm not sure if you know the answer to this but my fiance and I are going through the Delhi consulate. Is it the same procedure when dealing with Delhi?

Thanks!

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.