BlueBonnet

Getting sick from new enviroment

22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just wondering if anyone is having a problem climatising to their new habitat.

I have been sick about 4 weeks now. It started with night sweats, fever, cough, trouble breathing, and I felt like I was walking around in a constant daze. I took it for about a week before I broke down and went to see a dr. I got some meds and took them for 5 days. I improved, the night sweats went away aswell as other symptoms, but the cough only got better, but it didnt go away. Over the last week the cough started getting worse and the last 3 days it started affecting my breathing again. I went back to the dr. and got more meds. I started them yesterday.

Besides the fact that I had to pay for 2 dr. visits, which sucked ! and I noticed the price of prescriptions here in the USA seem to be about 2x what I wouldve paid in Canada .. what is making me sick .. is Texas.

Yep, I havent climatised to the heat here and I got a broncial infection and broncialspasms. The dr. did give me tips on how to help myself get used to the weather here which I will impliment.

The other thing, something my friends mentioned, not a dr. was maybe elevation. I come from a place 3500 ft. above sea level, and now I live around 500 ft. above sea level. Not sure if that has anything to really do with me getting sick, but I thought I would mention it as other people have told me I should take it into account.

So my question is. Has anyone else phsyicaly gotten sick from their new place of residence ?

~~~ Hes the chance Im taking ~~~

April 2007 - Met online

Oct. 2008 - He came to Canada to meet me

Dec 25 2009 officially engaged

March 2010 - sent off I-129F

March 27 2010 - Vermont receives package :)

April 3 2010 - Informed through mail that cheque is cashed NOA1

May 28 2010 - RFE notification ( yeah Im online checking alot >.< )

June 5 2010 - RFE hardcopy received

June 18 2010 - RFE returned ( had done it June 7 - but USPS returned grrrr )

--- case says we should hear from them in 60 days from June 18 ---

June 23 - Touched

Aug4 - Email notification of NoA2 :)

Aug. 10 - NOA2 Hardcopy received

Sept. 13 - Faxed off Package 3

Sept 14 - Interview notification set for Oct. 5

Oct. 5 2010 Interview Passed

March 17 2011 POE Canadian/US border

April 1 2011 Marriage

Mailed AOS June 1

Chicago Lockbox confirms delivery June 3

Check cashed through bank - notification June 9

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I have been sick about 4 weeks now. It started with night sweats, fever, cough, trouble breathing, and I felt like I was walking around in a constant daze. I took it for about a week before I broke down and went to see a dr. I got some meds and took them for 5 days. I improved, the night sweats went away aswell as other symptoms, but the cough only got better, but it didnt go away. Over the last week the cough started getting worse and the last 3 days it started affecting my breathing again. I went back to the dr. and got more meds. I started them yesterday.

Besides the fact that I had to pay for 2 dr. visits, which sucked ! and I noticed the price of prescriptions here in the USA seem to be about 2x what I wouldve paid in Canada .. what is making me sick .. is Texas.

Yep, I havent climatised to the heat here and I got a broncial infection and broncialspasms. The dr. did give me tips on how to help myself get used to the weather here which I will impliment.

The other thing, something my friends mentioned, not a dr. was maybe elevation. I come from a place 3500 ft. above sea level, and now I live around 500 ft. above sea level. Not sure if that has anything to really do with me getting sick, but I thought I would mention it as other people have told me I should take it into account.

So my question is. Has anyone else phsyicaly gotten sick from their new place of residence ?

No but I hope you get better very soon sounds like the Texas dry heat is not conducive with you at all. I come from Australia where it is hot in summer and we have humidity but not to the extreme as they have here in Georgia. I feel the heat anyways always have but this is so constant here with no southerly change which I am not used to so I spend a lot of time indoors in air con lol. I take vitamins every day and I believe they help you out a lot. You maybe could do with some herbal remedies. Did they do an x ray of your chest at all? Hope you feel better soon.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Wear a dust mask when you go outside, the difference between Canada and Texas is not just heat but airborne particles, dust and dirt is high concentration this time of year, especially with the drought effecting many areas of Texas.

When I travel to China I have to wear a mask when I go outside for any length of time, otherwise I feel exactly like you decribe your symptoms.

And yes to answer your question, wife had a persistant cough when she first came here for about 4 weeks. Basically it was her system cleaning itself out of the pollution she breathed for several years in big city China. Similiar to a smoker who quits.

Edited by Azzudiin

Filed: Other Timeline

Nooo, Texas is not that dusty at all!!! for anyone to wear a mask, unless you work in a dusty area. I know the heat is too much but not dusty. I just moves to Texas and the heat is miserable but I have not been sick from the weather.

I think you should follow your doctor's orders and all will be well.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

just give yourself time to adjust with the environment...drink some vitamins and drink lots of fluid...that would surely help you, ever since i go here i've been eating lots of fruits...make it a habit it would really help a lot...feel better

"Life was always a matter of waiting for the right moment to act."-Paulo Coelho

I haven't moved yet but I will be in Texas once I get my visa.

I have been to Texas 5 times in the last two years, with some of my trips being for 3mths, but I have never gotten sick from being there. However, both my husband and my step-daughter have been getting bad sinus infections/allergies this summer. My husband has lived in Houston his whole life and always gets allergies in the summer, but he says this year has been the worst he can remember. He also thinks it has something to do with it being so dry this year.

Just going on your USCIS office of Dallas, I'm guessing you live in north Texas which is a much drier heat than what we have in Houston, but I agree with the above poster - its not just the heat difference but the particles in the air. A friend of mine from here in Australia has also been working just west of Fort Worth and has also said it is very dry and dusty there due to the lack of rain. I would imagine that this would not be helping much at all.

As for the difference in altitude...could be an issue also. I have heard that it seems to be more of a problem for people moving from a low altitude to a high altitude (due to there being less oxygen), but maybe the reverse can also cause problems?

Whatever the cause....I really hope you feel better soon. Hopefully this is just a one-off thing while you adjust to your new climate, and not something you will have to deal with every summer. Good luck!

USCIS

30 Nov 2010 - Sent I-130 to Chicago

1 Dec 2010 - I-130 received at Chicago

18 Apr 2011 - APPROVED!! NOA2 text and email

NVC

29 Apr 2011 - Case entered into the system/Case number assigned; Medical Exam in Sydney

30 Apr 2011 - Police Check Application sent

2 May 2011 - Called NVC and got Invoice ID number

3 May 2011 - Sent DS-3032 email

4 May 2011 - Received email reply from NVC for DS-3032; Received Medical Exam results

5 May 2011 - AOS invoiced and paid

7 May 2011 - AOS package sent; IV invoiced and paid

9 May 2011 - AOS package delivered to NVC according to tracking

20 May 2011 - RFE for missing IV package....still waiting on Police Certificate!

24 May 2011 - Received Police Certificate after 25 days (so much for 7-10!); IV package sent

27 May 2011 - IV package delivered according to tracking

8 Jun 2011 - RFE for original marriage certificate; requested supervisor review since we KNOW it was in the package!

30 Jun 2011 - SIF and CC - FINALLY!!!!

13 Jul 2011 - Interview date assigned! Scheduled for August 9th @ 10am

9 Aug 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 Aug 2011 - Visa in hand

24 Aug 2011 - POE @ LAX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

My son had bronchospasms before, not fun! I hope, you feel better soon!

I got sick when I moved to Louisiana 5 years ago, but I actually think I caught something on the way over, at the airport, on the plane, I don't know. Same happened when we moved back to Germany.

Now I am back in the US and didn't get sick but I am pregnant and my immune system is in full swing, plus I am taking vitamins daily, so that might have helped as well.

You are actually not the first poster that reports sickness right after moving here, so I think it is common. Your immune system is probably not set to all the bugs and germs in your new home, it might take some time until you will get better longterm.

I sure hope, your meds are working, my son got an inhaler for the spasms and it worked great for him.

I hope you feel better soon!

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

I've been one of them people who never got ill. I can't tell you the last time I went to a doctors when I lived in the UK. And apart from some stress headaches at work, and some bad hayfever I kicked years ago, never took any meds.

Since I moved to Fl, I've had a succession of niggly illnesses and one where I got laid up in bed for nearly a week and thought I was dying. Odd. I never even used to catch a cold. I guess that's living in Florida...

USCIS & NVC

05-04-09 - Married

09-05-09 - I130 Approved (CSC)

12-09-09 - Case Completed (NVC)

01-08-10 - Approved (LND)

01-20-10 - PoE PHL

I-751

01-10-12 - Filed I-751, VT Service Center

01-17-12 - NOA1

02-08-12 - Biometrics at Alexandria, Va

10-04-12 - RFE

11-16-12 - Sent additional evidence (5.5lbs of evidence!)

12-04-12 - Approved

12-10-12 - Card arrived

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Hello,

After I came here(march), I started to cough (I don't remember how long after); before I was living in the Caribbean, and now in NYS.

It was a big change for me, but I love the winter lol.

I went to the doctor who gave me some medicine (that I didn't take). After some research, I decided to put a light second top under my tee-shirt. I wear it 24hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year (winter and summer). And my cough stopped as soon as I did that, my typical american doctor couldn't believe that a cloth could stop a cought.

If I remove it (whatever season), I start to cough again.

Just for you to know.

If it's a problem of dryness, put a humidifier also in your room, that's help.

Edited by MIDUVIL

I entered the US in the wintertime so I got sick with a sinus infection right away like on the first two weeks. Went to the doc and got an antibiotic and paid $105 for doctors fee and medicine.. I was five 3 days later. You really need health insurance in this country

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

On top of whatever the difference in environments is you are also under a certain amount of stress, whether you're consiously feeling it or not. You had the months of waiting and then finally moving here and now your body can finally breath a sigh of relief because you're together but now you're thinking about AOS and you've been sick and everything else......give it a few weeks, I suspect it will work itself out as you adjust. Give yourself some love, rest, take vitamins, do all those things that are designed to get you on-the-mend.

I don't know that prescriptions are more expensive here then in Canada...it's just that you may not have realized how much they cost when your previous health insurance paid for them ;)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Thankfully my husband hasn't had any problems with sickness since moving to VA from Ireland.

On the other hand, while I was living in Ireland with him I was a mess. Two throat infections in a year and a half, a stomach bug, a cold practically every six weeks, plus a NONSTOP runny nose. Prior to that, while I was still living in the US, I hadn't gotten sick in over a year. When I moved back to the states, everything cleared up, and I haven't had more than one minor cold here in the last 2 years. But every visit back to Ireland has gotten me sick.

I'd love to move back to Ireland some day, but I dunno if I could handle the serious quality of life decrease because of constantly being sick.

I hope you get acclimated and feel better soon!

I'm the USC petitioner.

Timeline:

10/06/2005 Met in Ireland while I was on a study abroad

03/15/2010 K-1 NOA1

05/27/2010 K-1 NOA2

09/10/2010 K-1 Interview

09/22/2010 POE

10/01/2010 Wedding

10/27/2010 AOS/EAD/AP NOA1s

12/22/2010 EAD/AP Approved

04/05/2011 AOS Approved - no interview

04/09/2011 Green Card received

01/24/2013 ROC NOA1

06/28/2013 ROC Approved - no interview

07/05/2013 10-year Green Card received

08/19/2014 N-400 NOA

12/06/2014 N-400 Interview

01/09/2014 Naturalization ceremony

My husband is now a US Citizen! Our journey is over!

20r8m4.png

WdKPm5.png

8PEOm5.png

Hi BlueBonnet,

I'm one of those gals that has bad allergies and here I live in Texas where they say is the worst place to live if you have allergies..lol..Every Texans seems to mention this to me, every time I sneeze!!

I've traveled back and forth alot from Canada to Texas before I started living in Texas Permanently, when i was traveling to Texas, I always seemed to catch something, my allergies always seemed to turn into some bronchial infection. Now that i'm here all the time I seemed to have immuned to the living conditions better. The worst months for me here in Texas is the spring, when everything starts blooming and Fall, when people start burning there pine needles..heh That makes me go bonkers, thats when I need to go in hiding. :wacko:

My solution is..take a allergy pill every day, I keep on switching the brands. Also, HONEY helps a bunch, I always buy some local honey and drink it with my coffee.

The heat is probably taking a toll on you along with your other symtoms, I know the heat is getting to me this summer too.

I hope you start feeling better!!

For more information on our journey please see our 'About Me' page on our profile!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

lol, i'm hopefully gonna be the opposite. i get mild asthma in the winter when the weather gets really cold, my doctor said that living in Arizona will work wonders for it with the heat, lol. My physio said all my back problems should improve too because of the climate, lol, i'm hoping theyre right

Finally time for AOS.......

12/07/11 Sent AOS package

12/09/11 AOS package delivered

12/14/11 Received NOA for I-485 and I-765 (we're not applying for AP)

12/22/11 Received letter for Biometrics

01/04/12 Biometrics in Phoenix

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

02/09/12 Received email saying EAD card has been sent

02/13/12 Received EAD card :D :D :D :D

03/06/12 Interview in Phoenix :).....Approved :D

03/14/12 Received Green card in mail.....

....no more USCIS until December 2013

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.