cartographer

What happens after the green card interview?

8 posts in this topic

I've just found out that my green card interview will be on August 29th. I'm not worried about the interview, but I'm nervous about the timing. I'm about to leave the country for three months, starting out on September 1st. Is there anything that I'll need to do after the interview that might delay my trip? Will they need to take my passport or anything like that?

Thanks!

Tanya

Filed: Timeline

If you are approved, they say to wait 30 days to receive the actual green card. Most VJers receive the card in 2 weeks or less. It seems like you already have your plane ticket. If so, bring proof of your travel plans. Th office no longer issues I-551 stamp, you may have to make an Infopass appointment. Just ask the IO after the interview. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I've just found out that my green card interview will be on August 29th. I'm not worried about the interview, but I'm nervous about the timing. I'm about to leave the country for three months, starting out on September 1st. Is there anything that I'll need to do after the interview that might delay my trip? Will they need to take my passport or anything like that?

Thanks!

Tanya

Bring proof of your travel plans, and let the interviewer know about them. If you are approved they can put an I-551 stamp in your passport, which will work as your temporary green card to be able to travel right away.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Thanks!

Tanya

I'm curious to know why you wanted to leave the country for such length of time, without knowing when your interview was?

You are and were taking a risk leaving. I just hope for your sake the IO approves you at the interview.

beach_1_001.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

I agree here. Making plans before you even knew when you were going to have your interview is VERY risky. Interview and green card come first. Vacation second. My step son wanted very much to go back to his home country and I told him that there was no way he was making any kind of plans until the green card was delivered to the house. Once he got it, 3 weeks later he was on the plane.

I'm curious to know why you wanted to leave the country for such length of time, without knowing when your interview was?

You are and were taking a risk leaving. I just hope for your sake the IO approves you at the interview.

It's a three month trip through places that are very hot and very cold, so getting the timing right is tricky. They give four weeks' notice of the interview, and I had advance parole ready to return if I needed to, so it didn't seem worth waiting another year. Why is leaving before the interview such a risk?

It's a three month trip through places that are very hot and very cold, so getting the timing right is tricky. They give four weeks' notice of the interview, and I had advance parole ready to return if I needed to, so it didn't seem worth waiting another year. Why is leaving before the interview such a risk?

1- Your going away for 3 months. If you traveled on your advance parole, you may have had trouble and a lot of questions asked returning back to the US.

2- Your not guaranteed at your interview your passport will be stamped, even if you get approved.

3- What happens if you don't get approved for whatever reason eg - IO wants more evidence, second interview is needed, forgot a document etc etc.

I honestly can't answer for every VJ member on here, but I can 100% say this, I wouldn't be going away for 3 months until I had my passport stamped or GC in hand first.

beach_1_001.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.