Ban Hammer

political cartoons and graphic images

1,719 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Posting a portrait photograph that does not have any creative alterations, modifications or graphics, except for someone adding words beside or below the photograph - even if the words are funny - may qualify as a political commentary, but that does not make the photograph a political cartoon. It would be the same as if I posted an ordinary photograph of your face and typied below the photograph "Mr Fancypants likes to post on Visa Journey in his fancypants" . The addition of the words makes the photograph a commentary - it does not make it a cartoon, which by your posted definition is " a unique, pictorial, editorial and artistic creation with social commentary". Posting a basic portrait photograph and adding words does not make it a unique and artistic creation, even if it does have editorial and social commentary. Political commentary is fine, but does not necessarily qualify for a thread entitled 'political cartoons'.

Kathryn - those are political cartoons. They don't have to be drawn because that's not the point. This is ridiculous. They are political commentary using a graphic medium (political cartoons). I can't believe this is even an issue given the number of times members here have posted similar images in threads that weren't even focused on political cartoons.

From

American Political Cartoons: an Introduction

Political cartoons are a unique creation--pictorial editorial and artistic social commentary.

http://www2.truman.e...h/cartoons.html

Example:

bush_gulfwars2.jpg

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Posting a portrait photograph that does not have any creative alterations, modifications or graphics, except for someone adding words beside or below the photograph - even if the words are funny - may qualify as a political commentary, but that does not make the photograph a political cartoon. It would be the same as if I posted an ordinary photograph of your face and typied below the photograph "Mr Fancypants likes to post on Visa Journey in his fancypants" . The addition of the words makes the photograph a commentary - it does not make it a cartoon, which by your posted definition is " a unique, pictorial, editorial and artistic creation with social commentary". Posting a basic portrait photograph and adding words does not make it a unique and artistic creation, even if it does have editorial and social commentary. Political commentary is fine, but does not necessarily qualify for a thread entitled 'political cartoons'.

Can we let these types of things slide or do they really need to be erased?

Sour-Gingrapes.jpg

Edited by ☠

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Posting a photo of me with type print under it wouldn't qualify because I'm not a public figure running for office. We can argue what makes art, art, but this is splitting hairs. This forum was splintered from Off Topic to categorize anything construed as political or religious. By making a special case of strict topic within this forum where member's posts are removed that aren't deemed as on topic is incredibly inconsistent, unnecessary and disruptive to the enjoyment of this forum. Who is complaining? Who is asking for these things removed? This is beyond any sense of reasonability.

Timeline
Mr. Fancypants wrote:

Posting a photo of me with type print under it wouldn't qualify because I'm not a public figure running for office. We can argue what makes art, art, but this is splitting hairs. This forum was splintered from Off Topic to categorize anything construed as political or religious. By making a special case of strict topic within this forum where member's posts are removed that aren't deemed as on topic is incredibly inconsistent, unnecessary and disruptive to the enjoyment of this forum. Who is complaining? Who is asking for these things removed? This is beyond any sense of reasonability.

We received a report and I responded to the report.

I am not disputing that the comments are political. They are. I am disputing that they are cartoons. My example - which removed the political 'smokescreen' from the issue - showed that posting a comment about an individual with a photograph of them does not make the post a cartoon - it makes it a commentary. Just because they are a political figure still does not turn a political commentary into a cartoon merely because they are political figures.

We had a lot of issues early on in this thread's history with people posting political commentary and campaign materials that were not cartoons. Some were removed and some were moved to a new thread entitled political campaigns. The thread starter at the time requested that only political cartoons be included in this thread. Nothing has changed.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

politicians+are+like+diapers.png

In this image, I would say the photograph is definitely adding to the commentary and would be construed as a political cartoon. FYI, a photograph can be construed as a cartoon in modern usage depending on how it is used (though I haven't seen Steven's images to determine where they stand on this issue)

Edited by Sousuke

Timeline

Yes, in this case I would agree. There is a creative element added and it is made to look like a poster. The two posts in question were just plain ordinary head shots- no borders, no graphics, nothing added- just the same sort of a photograph that would appear in a newspaper article about the individual pictured.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Going back and reviewing the two removed images, I agree that the second would fit into the above criteria - it is like a poster so I have returned it to the thread. The first still does not qualify as a cartoon.

Edited by Kathryn41

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

We received a report and I responded to the report.

I am not disputing that the comments are political. They are. I am disputing that they are cartoons. My example - which removed the political 'smokescreen' from the issue - showed that posting a comment about an individual with a photograph of them does not make the post a cartoon - it makes it a commentary. Just because they are a political figure still does not turn a political commentary into a cartoon merely because they are political figures.

We had a lot of issues early on in this thread's history with people posting political commentary and campaign materials that were not cartoons. Some were removed and some were moved to a new thread entitled political campaigns. The thread starter at the time requested that only political cartoons be included in this thread. Nothing has changed.

Then for the sake of consistency and fairness, I am requesting from here out all threads are treated with the same criteria, where any post that deviates from the OP should be removed. I will be reporting every post I see that doesn't directly address the OP and expect the same level of moderation.

Edited by Mister Fancypants