Captain Ewok

TOS Violations and Moderator Responses

1,018 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

I thank you for your detailed reply to my question.

I am having problems getting my mind around "Ignoring people that have had transgressions in the past that are seeking to right it HELPS NO ONE. "

Illegal activities are not all the same, I know this much. Making an innocent mistake is not the same as plotting an illegal activitiy.

Otherwise there would be no concept of "pre-meditation" in law and all guilty parties would be subject to the same punishment under law.

There seems to be extensive pre-meditation in this case. Evidenced by the knowledge of a working visa together with the length of time of illegal overstay.

VJ can change their TOS which ever way they like. I have no problem with that. Most people here are here to get information about doing things legally.

What I have/had a problem with is assisting someone with pre-meditated intentions to disobey immigration laws and THEN find a way to stay. That to me, as a legal professional, flies in the face of everything that makes laws worthwhile and meaningful.

This is my opinion, I don't expect anyone to agree with me.

I thank you for your detailed reply to my question.

I am having problems getting my mind around "Ignoring people that have had transgressions in the past that are seeking to right it HELPS NO ONE. "

Illegal activities are not all the same, I know this much. Making an innocent mistake is not the same as plotting an illegal activitiy.

Otherwise there would be no concept of "pre-meditation" in law and all guilty parties would be subject to the same punishment under law.

There seems to be extensive pre-meditation in this case. Evidenced by the knowledge of a working visa together with the length of time of illegal overstay.

VJ can change their TOS which ever way they like. I have no problem with that. Most people here are here to get information about doing things legally.

What I have/had a problem with is assisting someone with pre-meditated intentions to disobey immigration laws and THEN find a way to stay. That to me, as a legal professional, flies in the face of everything that makes laws worthwhile and meaningful.

This is my opinion, I don't expect anyone to agree with me.

There are legal avenues available to people who have broken immigration laws that will give them the opportunity to right their wrongs. Informing those people of what the legal avenues are is not helping anyone to do anything illegal. You may find their past transgressions to be morally unacceptable and that's fine, sometimes I do as well, but the advice being given is to help people become legal and hopefully start doing things within the boundaries of the law. I suggest that if you find a particular subject to be morally objectionable that you simply do not offer to help and don't post in that thread, that's what most of the folks do here. If something is posted that you thank might be against the TOS, then by all means report it. No guarantees you will like the outcome, but at least you did your part.

Sometimes I can't keep my opinions to myself and I have had many posts removed and been thread banned for voicing my opinions about something I find morally objectionable, it's just the way it goes.

Edited by Teddy B

Timeline

Let's be frank, I don't find legal transgressions to be "morally unacceptable", I find them to be legally unacceptable. If morals had anything to do with US immigration this site would not exist. Morals are subjective not objective.

Having said that, I understand what you are saying and I take it into consideration.

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Let's be frank, I don't find legal transgressions to be "morally unacceptable", I find them to be legally unacceptable. If morals had anything to do with US immigration this site would not exist. Morals are subjective not objective.

Having said that, I understand what you are saying and I take it into consideration.

The way I see it, your beef is with the fact that the existing remedies that offer incentives for people to take "shortcuts". The government could easily do away with all the waivers for the 3/10 year bans, AOS from tourist visas or B visas and pardons for IR of USCs. Providing this information to an illegal alien, no matter how horrible the violations were isn't different from giving advice on "petitions to the Supreme Court" to someone in the death row, no matter how heinous their crime is.

The only way to adjust VJ TOS to fix the problem you have is to delete threads where person had knowingly violated immigration law.

May 29th, 2015 - Sent AOS package

June 1, 2015 - Package received by USCIS

June 4, 2015 - Biometrics Fee Accepted

June 20, 2015 - Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

June 30, 2015 - Biometrics Appointment

August 6, 2015 - I-131 approved

August 6, 2015 - Your card was ordered

August 7, 2015 - I-765 approved

August 20, 2015 - EAD received

Timeline

The only way to adjust VJ TOS to fix the problem you have is to delete threads where person had knowingly violated immigration law.

And is that a problem? Shouldn't this site exist for people doing things the legally acceptable way ? Anyone else is free to seek legal advice from a lawyer.

Edited by BaronB

And is that a problem? Shouldn't this site exist for people doing things the legally acceptable way ? Anyone else is free to seek legal advice from a lawyer.

I'd be interested to see some open threads here that are giving advice on how to do things illegally. Could you link to a few? From what I've ever seen on VJ all threads or posts advocating illegal activity are either closed, deleted or both, and there is usually some type of warning by the mods against making any more posts of an illegal nature.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I'd be interested to see some open threads here that are giving advice on how to do things illegally. Could you link to a few? From what I've ever seen on VJ all threads or posts advocating illegal activity are either closed, deleted or both, and there is usually some type of warning by the mods against making any more posts of an illegal nature.

Exactly

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Does anyone here understand ENGLISH?

"The only way to adjust VJ TOS to fix the problem you have is to delete threads where person had knowingly violated immigration law."

What is wrong with deleting threads where someone has knowingly violated immigration law? A person who comes on a working visa and overstays by many years falls into this category.

This was EXACTLY the case I had a problem with. So you mods can come here and tell me it is no so. The fact remains that someone came here, someone who overstayed illegally, then asked for advice.

If you deny this took place, that is ignorance. I know. I read it. I saw it.

Does anyone here understand ENGLISH?

"The only way to adjust VJ TOS to fix the problem you have is to delete threads where person had knowingly violated immigration law."

What is wrong with deleting threads where someone has knowingly violated immigration law? A person who comes on a working visa and overstays by many years falls into this category.

This was EXACTLY the case I had a problem with. So you mods can come here and tell me it is no so. The fact remains that someone came here, someone who overstayed illegally, then asked for advice.

If you deny this took place, that is ignorance. I know. I read it. I saw it.

So you have a problem with someone who has previously broken the law but is now trying to do things legally? Why would you want to withold perfectly legal advice from someone that is seeking it? Wouldn't denying that person advice on how to do things legally be more of a cause for them to continue their illegal ways?

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning.

Timeline

So you have a problem with someone who has previously broken the law but is now trying to do things legally? Why would you want to withold perfectly legal advice from someone that is seeking it? Wouldn't denying that person advice on how to do things legally be more of a cause for them to continue their illegal ways?

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning.

Someone who has broken the law is not entitled to advice here, definitelty not someone who has done so for close to a decade. That falls into the same category as advising newbies how to cheat the system by coming in with false intentions.

If you were a lawyer you would know this. If you are going to advise long term criminals, you should advise new criminals. There should be no discrimination between those classes of illegal people. Both are criminals in the eyes of the law. One is not more deserving than the other.

Someone who has broken the law is not entitled to advice here

I think you are wrong there. I think anyone who has a question can ask it here. You are arguing purely from a standpoint based on moral outrage.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

The more I think on what BaronB said, the more bogus it appears to me. By his reasoning, no "criminal" (are we talking about alleged or proven criminals?) would ever be able to avail himself of the protections of law. This would include constitutional protections during the charging and trial process. Why not chuck the Constitution? Sounds fair -- these are bad guys, after all. Only the good guys should be able to rely on the law.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I guess that would involve deleting the waiver forum.

Anybody with a history that makes them inadmissible but has a waiver available to them is not welcome on VJ?

If you wanted to be pedantic entering sans inspection is not a criminal offence.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”