Captain Ewok

TOS Violations and Moderator Responses

1,018 posts in this topic

This week, for the first time in 11 years on this site, I am of the firm opinion that a lot of mod decisions here are the result of vain and self important people bent on a power trip.

Seriously? 11 years?

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

What's the verdict on giving advice to people committing illegal immigration activities? I've been banned from a post for voicing my concern over this. I understand people can make mistakes, overstays of a few months can happen, uneducated people can make mistakes. However this doesn't seem to be the case here. Someone came into the US on a worker's visa so obviously knew more than most about what is and is not allowed when travelling and working in the US. This person deliberately overstayed their visa by MANY years, bought an illegal SSN and now wants to adjust status to a legal us immigrant?

I feel that giving advice in this matter is absurd, we wouldn't help out anyone who committed a pre-meditated criminal offense, would we? Well, it seems we do on VJ!!

Edited by BaronB

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

H entered with inspection

He has a legal SSN

His wife was seeking advise on adjusting his status.

Nothing illegal in adjusting status.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

He is not using his "legal" SSN apparently. He bought a fake one at a flea market. Now please correct me if I am wrong but his overstay coupled with his new fake SSN don't sound legal to me. I wonder if he has paid any taxes since using his new fake identity? But he has been happy to reside in the US for years and use services funded by the legal taxpayers. If this were a legal route to US citizenship, why isn't it found anywhere on the USCIS website?

Timeline

The thread is about adjusting his status to Legal permanent resident and what needs to happen.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Then how come all the illegal details are allowed to remain unchecked? Delete them and leave the information about adjusting status. Anyone can come here and read that thread and get ideas. I came to this website to read about the legal processes involved in immigration, careful not make any mistakes along the way. Reading that thread from beginning to end puts a bad taste in my mouth, the fact that it doesn't bother you... well. The less said the better.

Edited by BaronB

Timeline

Nobody is advising him on doing anything illegal, I participated and saw nothing like that, all the responses I remember were how to do things legally.

Timeline

Their story is filled with illegalities. That's the issue. This site should be advising honest people, not criminals. I know you'll reply to this and I'll gladly read it. I won't continue this debate anymore because we are obviously not on the same wavelength. Hopefully some other mods will read this and it will cause a discussion between all of you. Thanks for debating with me without just hitting the delete/ban button, I appreciate it.

Timeline

I understand the moral aspect.

But it is not against the TOC to help people do it the legal way.

Many threads I see and know the answer but do not participate for a variety of reasons. On this one his legal USC wife was asking, I probably would still have participated even if it had been him.

Timeline

Banned yet again for answering questions posed by the OP. So tell me, VJ mods, what do you want? To influence people or answer questions? PLEASE DO TELL.

I am paid to stand up in Courts of Law and argue legal details on a daily basis. I know how to read a TOS or a legal contract like the back of my hand. You lot bend the rules to suit yourselves. It's a disgrace actually. Shame on all of you and shame on this site for being two-faced.

Timeline

TOS is a living breathing document, just like the Constitution.

Banned yet again for answering questions posed by the OP. So tell me, VJ mods, what do you want? To influence people or answer questions? PLEASE DO TELL.

I am paid to stand up in Courts of Law and argue legal details on a daily basis. I know how to read a TOS or a legal contract like the back of my hand. You lot bend the rules to suit yourselves. It's a disgrace actually. Shame on all of you and shame on this site for being two-faced.

You need to chill out a bit here.

You might not like some of the threads or responses here.

We are NOT supposed to judge the people here :rolleyes:

So if you have nothing *Nice* to say, better don't post.

You can choose which thread you want to respond, like what Boiler do.

Relax, before you are permanently banned here. :)

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Timeline

TOS is a living breathing document, just like the Constitution.

If the US Constitution were a living breathing document, religion and gun toting idiots would be put in their place where they belong.

You need to chill out a bit here.

You might not like some of the threads or responses here.

We are NOT supposed to judge the people here :rolleyes:

So if you have nothing *Nice* to say, better don't post.

You can choose which thread you want to respond, like what Boiler do.

Relax, before you are permanently banned here. :)

Thanks I am trying my best to "chill out". I don't want to be banned because I enjoy 95% of my experience here.

Filed: Timeline

What's the verdict on giving advice to people committing illegal immigration activities? I've been banned from a post for voicing my concern over this. I understand people can make mistakes, overstays of a few months can happen, uneducated people can make mistakes. However this doesn't seem to be the case here. Someone came into the US on a worker's visa so obviously knew more than most about what is and is not allowed when travelling and working in the US. This person deliberately overstayed their visa by MANY years, bought an illegal SSN and now wants to adjust status to a legal us immigrant?

I feel that giving advice in this matter is absurd, we wouldn't help out anyone who committed a pre-meditated criminal offense, would we? Well, it seems we do on VJ!!

What's the verdict on giving advice to people committing illegal immigration activities?

Its very simple. The same as its always been. Its written out officially in the TOS, as "Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method."

but a plain old easy to understand definition if someone is having trouble deciphering it? - You can not advise of how to commit an illegal act, or encourage legal acts- even if you think you are being clever.

Your issue is with the word "condone" it appears.

con·done
kənˈdōn/Submit
verb
accept and allow (behavior that is considered morally wrong or offensive) to continue.
So example: If a user has committed previous immigration violation (regardless of whether they were intentional or not) and posts about it- well first no one should accept AND allow the behavior to continue. (see definition of condone).
Its not OR. Its AND. You cant do one and not the other otherwise you are not condoning- you are simply stating this is unacceptable and we will ignore you.
Ignoring people that have had transgressions in the past that are seeking to right it HELPS NO ONE.
Im sorry that finding out you can buy identity documents at a flea market or swap meet came as such a shock to you, but anyone that lives in a densely populated migrant full community is not shocked. Nor is the US gov. This is not breaking news.
So keeping the above in mind- when posting on a sensitive thread, you have to follow all the TOS including the one about respecting each other. Which yeah is kind of hard to respectfully lecture someone especially if what they are doing is giving you that angry twitch behind your left eye.