Captain Ewok

TOS Violations and Moderator Responses

1,018 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Whoever is chosen, they have to want the responsibility. Dealing with a group of inveterate reprobates such as the regular posters in Current Events is not everyone's cup of tea. ;)

Until a new system has had time to settle down and work out the kinks, it could be a high maintenance forum, needing someone with quite a bit of time on their hands. :yes:

No joke. They should consider more than one.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

The not allowed comment is a default set of language built into the forums. It was not personal, sorry. I'll have it changed from the default.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Who sent the message above? Happy to discuss in private (just not a fan of throwing stones in public; if there was an error on our side or something we could do better, then I'd like the chance to work with our team to correct it).

The whole point of our mod meeting was to make changes based on the feedback from everyone. It is and will be a genuine effort. I hope you can give us some time before calling the attempt a failure. Hopefully at least from myself you can see that I truly am making an effort. The mod team as well will be evolving to better support everyone here.

I believe Luckytxn is referring to the screen shot posted earlier showing the message Kip received when he tried to log onto VJ. From what I can tell, it isn't a message anyone of us sent him but appears to be one that is generated automatically by the site when a banned members tries to access the site.

I suspect now that this explains part of the confusion I have been wondering about and why LuckyTxn has become so upset. Because I did say I was the one who sent the message to Kip letting him know his account was closing, I think Luckytxn's is under the impression that automatic message is the one I sent to Kip.

It isn't. My message to Kip is posted in the Moderators' forum for all of the moderators to see and for Captain Ewok to see. It was respectful and courteous even if the message was not a welcome one. Anyone who is in contact with Kip is welcome to ask him about it.

edited to add: Ah, I just see that Captain Ewok has explained about the default message sent from the site . . .

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

It's a generic message, everyone that has ever been suspended sees it. I was more 'offended' by having to 'agree' with the reasons for being suspended than the fact that I wasn't welcome on the site.

Anyway, that's beside the point, my point here is, can you please ensure that writing ** Sapiens to describe humans is not blanked out? That's not very useful if we can't even describe ourselves accurately without generating the wrath of auto censorship.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's a generic message, everyone that has ever been suspended sees it. I was more 'offended' by having to 'agree' with the reasons for being suspended than the fact that I wasn't welcome on the site.

Anyway, that's beside the point, my point here is, can you please ensure that writing ** Sapiens to describe humans is not blanked out? That's not very useful if we can't even describe ourselves accurately without generating the wrath of auto censorship.

We have edited that message as well,The Truth, so now all the person is acknowledging is that they have received the warning. That is what the original intent was but the wording wasn't as clear as it needed to be, so that has been changed. There is also now an option included that lets the recipient request a review of the warning so they don't have to wait out a suspension before they can follow up. We certainly didn't intend it to be as draconian is it turned out to be :( . I believe Captain Ewok has already made those changes - but there's no need for anyone to rush out and give it try just to be sure :P .

The second consideration - that is going to be a problem as the language filter is not context sensitive. One way that might work would be to write the word somewhat incorrectly by making it all one word rather than two: ie

Homosapiens. That will get you a misspelling notification but the word will still appear in its proper context As long as the first part is used derogatorily, as it so often is, it is likely to remain a part of the language filter for a while.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I just cleaned up my inbox a bit. Try it now. It's been a busy few days. :devil:

I forgot what I wanted :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Anyone who is in contact with Kip is welcome to ask him about it.

I read it, and FWIW I thought it was respectful. That said, there's really no nice way to tell someone to buzz off. <_< Men and women ending relationships have been trying it for years.

I'll miss the guy's posts here. I always thought for the most part they were intelligent and thought provoking, whether I agreed with him or not. Funny as well.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Has moderation made any decision regarding danno that can be shared here?

I second that. Danno was no more offensive than the two that got a do over.

In fact I dare anyone to show me a Danno post in which he was rude and confrontational ?

Filed: Timeline

We have edited that message as well,The Truth, so now all the person is acknowledging is that they have received the warning.

I certainly hope so, as the "acknowledgement of guilt" message was truly galling. Why has the change not been made known?

I second that. Danno was no more offensive than the two that got a do over.

I third it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I certainly hope so, as the "acknowledgement of guilt" message was truly galling. Why has the change not been made known?

I third it.

In bold even.

Oh and I agree with you about the warning acknowledgement.

Edited by GandD