Captain Ewok

TOS Violations and Moderator Responses

1,018 posts in this topic

I agree. It wasn't a good day or night. I sincerely commend you on trying to keep people grounded and getting them calmed down.

it was hard until the X started peaking... Then it was all love

A post count limit, or a password to restrict viewing/participating in the forum would be my recommendation

If that prevents the Google web crawler access, that would be great.

That would be a start, although I've heard talk that things can get pretty ugly in some of the regionals. Some people are idiots. Give them a computer, an internet connection, and some booze, and off they go.

I see a lot of rude posts in the tourist visa and waiver section. But rudeness in itself isn't against TOS.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Well, I appreciate all the passion.

I'm always a fan of starting with a measured approach when making larger changes to the site. If we need to evolve to accomplish things then that is fine, but it is better than an over reaction. Also, I suspect that despite my best efforts no matter what decisions I make some folks will disagree. Regardless, I do want to help what I see as legitimate concerns folks have raised.

What I am thinking of starting with:

- Decide on a local mod that is respected by the CEHST forum members and will be proactive about steering things away from being a problem to begin with. They will be our forum mod expert and can be a key part of related mod decisions.

- Limit access to CEHST to members that have at least 50 posts on the site. This is to help reduce drive by sock puppets.

- For habitual offenders in CEHST, instead of using suspensions first, access to the forum can be removed (either temporarily or semi-perminently) still allowing them to post elsewhere on the site.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I see a lot of rude posts in the tourist visa and waiver section. But rudeness in itself isn't against TOS.

Maybe not by itself, but it seems to be the starting point for a lot of TOS violations. I'd bet that a lot start out by someone being condescending/rude to someone else, that person responding and then it escalates from there to someone talking about the size of their mother's azz.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm always a fan of starting with a measured approach when making larger changes to the site. If we need to evolve to accomplish things then that is fine, but it is better than an over reaction. Also, I suspect that despite my best efforts no matter what decisions I make some folks will disagree. Regardless, I do want to help what I see as legitimate concerns folks have raised.

- Decide on a local mod that is respected by the CEHST forum members and will be proactive about steering things away from being a problem to begin with. They will be our forum mod expert and can be a key part of related mod decisions.

- Limit access to CEHST to members that have at least 50 posts on the site. This is to help reduce drive by sock puppets.

- For habitual offenders in CEHST, instead of using suspensions first, access to the forum can be removed (either temporarily or semi-perminently) still allowing them to post elsewhere on the site.

All good ideas I think. Especially the last one. No reason they shouldn't be able to use the site for it's actual stated purpose.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Maybe not by itself, but it seems to be the starting point for a lot of TOS violations. I'd bet that a lot start out by someone being condescending/rude to someone else, that person responding and then it escalates from there to someone talking about the size of their mother's azz.

There is ample evidence of this. And a lot of it by the same few users over and over. One in particular in the Tourist Visa and Work Visa area seems to have a major chip on their shoulder. And I noticed this just from a short visit reading a few threads. There is a lot of condescending posting. Just read the Waiver forum when someone asks for information about a waiver that the law actually allows. The responses are extremely rude, condescending and judgmental.

All good ideas I think. Especially the last one. No reason they shouldn't be able to use the site for it's actual stated purpose.

But most of us in CE have no actual reason to be here. :devil:

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

Wow. You actually listened to us.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Perfect.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

I think a minimum post count to participate and/or view the Current Events forum would solve the immediate concern. Killing off the two fora would be a mistake, in my opinion. They generate page views, site traffic and profit for Orville Redenbacher. :pop:

Why? The TOS violations are just as likely to be long time members.

From other forums I've been on, minimum post count criteria usually leads to endless debates about increasing the minimum post count with the eventual realization that post counts have nothing to do with ones ability to adhere to the TOS.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Spooky turtle is your man

Timeline

Not true, On this site they can go ahead and start posting right away on the forums meant for them since that is why they are here. I am a moderator on other sites and been on other sites hwere one had to post a certain numbers of times to be able to participate in certain sections. It is usually a win win all around. Yes some whine that they want to get into those sections and want the post cont lowered but just ignore that. They show themselves what kind of posters they are by that time and also have ample time to learn that those sections are a certain way.

Great idea but a biased mod can still screw it up.

Why? The TOS violations are just as likely to be long time members.

From other forums I've been on, minimum post count criteria usually leads to endless debates about increasing the minimum post count with the eventual realization that post counts have nothing to do with ones ability to adhere to the TOS.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Not true, On this site they can go ahead and start posting right away on the forums meant for them since that is why they are here. I am a moderator on other sites and been on other sites hwere one had to post a certain numbers of times to be able to participate in certain sections. It is usually a win win all around. Yes some whine that they want to get into those sections and want the post cont lowered but just ignore that. They show themselves what kind of posters they are by that time and also have ample time to learn that those sections are a certain way.

Great idea but a biased mod can still screw it up.

Sure, but with a post count limit, how hard is it to get 20 or 50 posts or whatever in the upper forums. If someone joins the site just to troll, they also know how to get their post counts up in order to do so.

If we are worried about drive by trolling, a time limit would be better IMO. Make it 30 days after joining before you can access PR/OT and that would stop it. However I'm just not sure drive by trolling is really the issue.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

Drive by trolling is a huge problem every site I have ran. It is a big step in the right direction. I do like the idea of a time limit also but a 50 post limit is pretty large. If someone is posting fast enough to be able to join in the basement section forum then it is obvious it is happening and we can react accordingly. Sock puppets are easy to identify this way. Many pluses but also a few minuses.

Sure, but with a post count limit, how hard is it to get 20 or 50 posts or whatever in the upper forums. If someone joins the site just to troll, they also know how to get their post counts up in order to do so.

If we are worried about drive by trolling, a time limit would be better IMO. Make it 30 days after joining before you can access PR/OT and that would stop it. However I'm just not sure drive by trolling is really the issue.