Captain Ewok

TOS Violations and Moderator Responses

1,018 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Seriously, its that the mods feel like they have to act when there is a report. Certain members, Ewok, consider people on the opposite side of the isle to be enemies and purposely lurk trying to find "gotcha" moments to report. The button is being used maliciously and sometimes, unfortunately, mods abide.

Would reducing the level of moderation change this kind of thing? Rather, I think the persistent level of reporting would increase in order to elicit a reaction from the moderation team.

What's needed in cases like this is a more proactive type of moderation, wherein the moderator(s) must weigh the reporting, the reporter and the subject of their reports, to evaluate where the problem lies, if there is one, before providing a balanced course of action to resolve the issue.

To accomplish this, you need a moderator with patience and impartiality and they appear hard to come by.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Would reducing the level of moderation change this kind of thing? Rather, I think the persistent level of reporting would increase in order to elicit a reaction from the moderation team.

What's needed in cases like this is a more proactive type of moderation, wherein the moderator(s) must weigh the reporting, the reporter and the subject of their reports, to evaluate where the problem lies, if there is one, before providing a balanced course of action to resolve the issue.

To accomplish this, you need a moderator with patience and impartiality and they appear hard to come by.

After seeing this I agree. I also think if you report someone, at least in our forum it should be public record. I think that would cut down on most of it. I also , like in the case today, The Mod asking first, might go a long way. I know the times I reported someone just to make a point, I would not have done it, if it was going to be public. I have only truly been offended one time in here.

A word to my fellow VJ'ers. Find they ignore button and use it. LuckyTX, I found out early on the two you tangled with do nothing but agitate and incite people, INMHO. I put both of them on Ignore a long time ago, because I realized all they tried to do was push my buttons. Heck it may be me . Oddly they are the only two I have ever felt the need to do that to. I don't say that as an attack and I don't mean it mean spirited, they may be fine people, just to me they never added anything and always seemed to poke at people. To others they may think i am the problem, fine put me on ignore

There are some people that I am in disagreement with, but I enjoy the discourse and they add to the forum.

Timeline

After seeing this I agree. I also think if you report someone, at least in our forum it should be public record. I think that would cut down on most of it. I also , like in the case today, The Mod asking first, might go a long way. I know the times I reported someone just to make a point, I would not have done it, if it was going to be public. I have only truly been offended one time in here.

A word to my fellow VJ'ers. Find they ignore button and use it. LuckyTX, I found out early on the two you tangled with do nothing but agitate and incite people, INMHO. I put both of them on Ignore a long time ago, because I realized all they tried to do was push my buttons. Heck it may be me . Oddly they are the only two I have ever felt the need to do that to. I don't say that as an attack and I don't mean it mean spirited, they may be fine people, just to me they never added anything and always seemed to poke at people. To others they may think i am the problem, fine put me on ignore

There are some people that I am in disagreement with, but I enjoy the discourse and they add to the forum.

I would never put someone on ignore, mainly because my forum viewing is less frequent than many posters, so losing one or two posters can seriously disrupt a thread and make it difficult to gain an understanding of its content. Besides, when people get personal, it just lets you know they have lost the argument.

The plus side of not using the ignore function is that no-one is completely hopeless all the time. Every poster here has their moments, when they post something that piques your attention, often when you least expect it. If you have them on ignore, you miss these insights and opinions. You lose those opportunities.

Yes, it pays to have a thick skin and a level head, when it comes to dealing with personal invective, but my question to anyone would be, "If you don't have either, why are you posting in CEHST?" huh:

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Yes, it pays to have a thick skin and a level head, when it comes to dealing with personal invective, but my question to anyone would be, "If you don't have either, why are you posting in CEHST?" huh:

And that's really the bottom line.

In the other thread they mentioned that newcomers may be put off by the discourse in CEHST. I can understand that. But what you say is true, if someone is offended by the smallest little things, true or perceived, than that's probably not the place for that person. Although I suspect some seek out a reason to be offended even when there's nothing there. OTOH ,that seems to be the direction society is heading as a whole.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

And that's really the bottom line.

In the other thread they mentioned that newcomers may be put off by the discourse in CEHST. I can understand that. But what you say is true, if someone is offended by the smallest little things, true or perceived, than that's probably not the place for that person. Although I suspect some seek out a reason to be offended even when there's nothing there. OTOH ,that seems to be the direction society is heading as a whole.

However Kathryn made a great point today. What about Google searched pulling up off the wall threads to a global audience, who has no idea we are goof balls.

Timeline

However Kathryn made a great point today. What about Google searched pulling up off the wall threads to a global audience, who has no idea we are goof balls.

Yeah I don't know how you get around that, or if it's really an issue.

There was a post that just got nuked. It had every derogatory name you could ever dream of for a gay person it in. What if Google pulls that up to a gay couple looking for a k-1 in some foreign country.. What then

There was a post that just got nuked. It had every derogatory name you could ever dream of for a gay person it in. What if Google pulls that up to a gay couple looking for a k-1 in some foreign country.. What then

Was it in Current Events?

I have the perfect solution to the Family Friendly issue and worrying about what Google searches turn up that may reflect negatively on the site. Close Off Topic and Current Events. End of problem. Be an immigration only forum. And keep the Game forum to provide mental stimulation to relax from the stress of waiting for NOA2.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

I have the perfect solution to the Family Friendly issue and worrying about what Google searches turn up that may reflect negatively on the site. Close Off Topic and Current Events. End of problem. Be an immigration only forum. And keep the Game forum to provide mental stimulation to relax from the stress of waiting for NOA2.

Bad as i hate it, tonight was not a pretty night for the users to show how cool we can all be . We had a 3 member cat fight in Ewoks on thread, then someone starts rallying on Kathryn like no ones business.

wonder if you can lock it down so the Search engine can not see it

Timeline

IDK. I suspect that same Google search would pull up 1000 other things from this site. Not sure why it would only pull up some obscure offensive post and ignore the other million posts.

Timeline

I think a minimum post count to participate and/or view the Current Events forum would solve the immediate concern. Killing off the two fora would be a mistake, in my opinion. They generate page views, site traffic and profit for Orville Redenbacher. :pop:

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Timeline

Bad as i hate it, tonight was not a pretty night for the users to show how cool we can all be . We had a 3 member cat fight in Ewoks on thread, then someone starts rallying on Kathryn like no ones business.

wonder if you can lock it down so the Search engine can not see it

I doubt it. I think Google by it's nature webcrawls every site and sucks it all up. Good and bad.

I agree. It wasn't a good day or night. I sincerely commend you on trying to keep people grounded and getting them calmed down.

IDK. I suspect that same Google search would pull up 1000 other things from this site. Not sure why it would only pull up some obscure offensive post and ignore the other million posts.

And don't forget, Google has cached copies of everything too.

I think a minimum post count to participate and/or view the Current Events forum would solve the immediate concern. Killing off the two fora would be a mistake, in my opinion. They generate page views, site traffic and profit for Orville Redenbacher. :pop:

I don't want to see the two forums nuked either. But how do you get around the Google problem?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

That would be a start, although I've heard talk that things can get pretty ugly in some of the regionals. Some people are idiots. Give them a computer, an internet connection, and some booze, and off they go.