Captain Ewok

TOS Violations and Moderator Responses

1,018 posts in this topic

Hell, I have been insulted many times on OT, but I couldn't give a toss. It is part of the game

Why is hell autocorrected to he'll btw? Very odd.

I have never seen you insulted. Some feather-light ribbing, maybe.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Some initial update from the meeting. We have lots of work to do that may take a week or so to roll out, but I wanted to give you the top level summary on the issues you were concerned about:

Major Topics

Mod Roles, Forums and Coverage:

Amnesty:

One Member reinstated immediately. General Amnesty Program was discussed. Details will need to be hashed out but after an extended period certain banned members can now contact the admin to request reinstatement with the condition that they will fall into an elevated review status (less opportunities than a new member for ‘slip ups’). Some egregious offenders will not qualify for obvious reasons.

Review of Suspensions / Mod Action:

Members that are suspended will now be provided with a direct link to contact the admin for quick review of the mod action. The submitted ticket is tracked and we will ensure that the response time on average for these tickets is ~24 hours or less. Previously it was not clear that this was allowed. Now, every member will be informed. This will increase transparency and review of elevated mod actions such as suspensions.

Standardization of 3 Strikes policy (that leads to lengthy suspensions and eventually a ban):

We are more clearly defining this and will better publicize the steps and infractions that elevate member warning status. We already had guidelines but we want to make this as transparent as possible with more objective criteria.

Family Friendly TOS Rules:

Admin to post a more clear definition w/ examples to the forums in a pinned thread and revise the TOS as well. The recent increased enforcement on this policy was confusing to members — the goal now is to remove, as much as possible, this confusion.

Initial Warnings for Minor Offenses:

Instead of issuing private warnings with increased warning ‘status’, mods will politely chime in to remind folks if they are breaking one of the more minor rules. This was decided so we can increase visibility to everyone versus a closed door system for all offenses. The membership requested this — we agree.

Wording on some warnings revised:

Some automated messages were worded poorly and offended folks from time to time. We’ve already revised a few and will review the others. Sorry about this! It was not our intention.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Sounds like a lot was accomplished at the meeting Capt. I look forward to seeing these new guidelines implemented.

Thanks to you and the Mods for listening and working with us and letting us know that our opinions matter.

Interested in seeing how the "FF" will spell out.

IMO - the CE&HST forum is not "FF" by nature. I wouldn't want a minor reviewing the threads (in that forum). The child would come out with PTSD.

Some initial update from the meeting. We have lots of work to do that may take a week or so to roll out, but I wanted to give you the top level summary on the issues you were concerned about:

Major Topics

Mod Roles, Forums and Coverage:

Amnesty:

One Member reinstated immediately. General Amnesty Program was discussed. Details will need to be hashed out but after an extended period certain banned members can now contact the admin to request reinstatement with the condition that they will fall into an elevated review status (less opportunities than a new member for ‘slip ups’). Some egregious offenders will not qualify for obvious reasons.

Review of Suspensions / Mod Action:

Members that are suspended will now be provided with a direct link to contact the admin for quick review of the mod action. The submitted ticket is tracked and we will ensure that the response time on average for these tickets is ~24 hours or less. Previously it was not clear that this was allowed. Now, every member will be informed. This will increase transparency and review of elevated mod actions such as suspensions.

Standardization of 3 Strikes policy (that leads to lengthy suspensions and eventually a ban):

We are more clearly defining this and will better publicize the steps and infractions that elevate member warning status. We already had guidelines but we want to make this as transparent as possible with more objective criteria.

Family Friendly TOS Rules:

Admin to post a more clear definition w/ examples to the forums in a pinned thread and revise the TOS as well. The recent increased enforcement on this policy was confusing to members — the goal now is to remove, as much as possible, this confusion.

Initial Warnings for Minor Offenses:

Instead of issuing private warnings with increased warning ‘status’, mods will politely chime in to remind folks if they are breaking one of the more minor rules. This was decided so we can increase visibility to everyone versus a closed door system for all offenses. The membership requested this — we agree.

Wording on some warnings revised:

Some automated messages were worded poorly and offended folks from time to time. We’ve already revised a few and will review the others. Sorry about this! It was not our intention.

Well it sound like our voices were heard. Thanks to all of you. As a paying member of this board. Oh wait it's free. Once again thanks.

The biggest thing I see as a positive is a tap on the shoulder I think will go a long way

I am curious about how the warning messages themselves offended people. Either I never got those warning messages (hard to believe) or some people are.... well, let's not go there.

I don't think Offended is the right word, but sometimes they were written in such a manner that sounded like a judge talking to a repeat drunk driver.

All in all I think the direction is very positive

As a colorful member who sometimes, pushes the envelope, although never intending to offend, it makes me want to cooperate more and try be more aware of some of things I say.

Filed: Timeline

I don't think Offended is the right word, but sometimes they were written in such a manner that sounded like a judge talking to a repeat drunk driver.

All in all I think the direction is very positive

As a colorful member who sometimes, pushes the envelope, although never intending to offend, it makes me want to cooperate more and try be more aware of some of things I say.

Moderation here does have the habit of sounding self-important and grandiose. Instead of inspiring awe and fear and respect in the reader, all it does is make you laugh.

Moderation here does have the habit of sounding self-important and grandiose. Instead of inspiring awe and fear and respect in the reader, all it does is make you laugh.

well yes the ponification factor was comical.

However my overall point was, I feel like they have tried and made a step in the right direction. Until proven otherwise we should also try also.

I appreciate the amnesty - thank you.

I personally did not like the warning message I got when I was banned. While it wasn't offensive, it was wordy, self indulgent and condescending.

You captured my feelings, with you words about the warnings, much better than I ever could. Exactly.

I think that is partially why Tbone is more readily accepted. He closed a thread the other day and said words to the effect, " as usual you guys know the rules, please don't restart -thanks"

That is so much more palatable than " I highly suggest no one reopen this thread or attempt to restart of further Mod action will be taken" or words to that effect.

Edited by The Nature Boy

Filed: Timeline

You captured my feelings, with you words about the warnings, much better than I ever could. Exactly.

I think that is partially why Tbone is more readily accepted. He closed a thread the other day and said words to the effect, " as usual you guys know the rules, please don't restart -thanks"

That is so much more palatable than " I highly suggest no one reopen this thread or attempt to restart of further Mod action will be taken" or words to that effect.

+1. Re: the tone of the warning message: as I wrote earlier, at the end of my 2 day suspension, I had to click through an acknowledgement that looked very much like an admission of wrongdoing. I sure hope this changes (as well as the frivolous, sporadic, entirely unpredictable moderation). I'm no wilting daisy, but I really don't feel like being kicked around by that particular mod any more. <_<