Captain Ewok

TOS Violations and Moderator Responses

1,018 posts in this topic

Maybe you need a go between. Let me know what you want to say to xxx and I'll pass it along.

We are not banned from Private message that I am aware of.

Edited by The Nature Boy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

These topics are on the agenda for discussion at our next Moderators meeting which is scheduled for next week. :)

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

These topics are on the agenda for discussion at our next Moderators meeting which is scheduled for next week. :)

I will be there as the rowdy union Representative

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I will be there as the rowdy union Representative

:D

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Here are a few recent moderator replies that I think do a good job explaining things so that the forum users know what is going on. Personally I think that a bit of detail goes a long way to avoid misunderstands, paranoia, etc. I hope that these types of explanations will become the norm. There will always be some disagreement, but at least we will know where they are coming from.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/497511-front-loading-at-us-embassy-lagos/?p=7029416

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/497109-roll-call-of-fallen-commrades/?p=7030309

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/497109-roll-call-of-fallen-commrades/?p=7030029

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Timeline

Personally I think that a bit of detail goes a long way to avoid misunderstands, paranoia

"Paranoia"? :rolleyes: Threads are being decimated because people are supposedly occasionally posting "off topic". That's just draconian and entirely unreasonable, especially in the "hot topics" portion.

While it's nice that some moderators take the trouble to explain their actions, others seem to hide behind the justification that no "offensive" posts should be allowed (and the determination of 'offensiveness' is left entirely up to the particular moderator).

I know it adds to the workload, but the possibility of review of disciplinary actions seems the best solution.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

I think there should be a reasonable approach here. In OT if the OP does not request it, then threads should not be closed for OT... just a thought. What does everyone think?

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think there should be a reasonable approach here. In OT if the OP does not request it, then threads should not be closed for OT... just a thought. What does everyone think?

I think mods should keep out of OT. Generally we can sort it out among ourselves, and if not, the ignore option is available.

Filed: Timeline

It'd be great to tweak TOS to help alleviate these recent problems, but ultimately it all comes back to a moderator's (notice singular case) use of judgement and common sense, which can't always be relied upon. That's why an appeals process is crucial.

I think mods should keep out of OT. Generally we can sort it out among ourselves, and if not, the ignore option is available.

Word. And we have the lovely report button if things get seriously out of hand.

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

Timeline

If a good running discussion is going then it should stay and get rid and thread ban someone that came in to derail the reasonable discourse. I have seen his happen. We go along and having a good time and then one crude post and it degenerates to attacks. There are few members that bring discord to the OT or/and P&R forum now and again. If the same people are getting thread ban and bring little else to the OT and P&R forums is it possible to ban them from them forums only and that allows them to remain productive in other areas if they choose?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Just a reminder to folks that we do indeed have a mod meeting tomorrow. We are covering many if not all of your concerns :).

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Agreed. For minor infractions within a thread, a verbal warning by a Mod before being thread banned would also be helpful. This place shouldn't have to be handing out suspensions except on the rare ocassion where someone clearly and deliberately ignores being warned. Mods should be focused on keeping the discussions fairly civil while recognizing the context and flow of the exchanges that take place. Trying to moderate in a paint-by-numbers approach just doesn't work here.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Disagreements on subject matter, intent, or opinion should not warrant moderator action.

Personal insults, attacks on character, or unfounded accusations of personal wrongdoing, on the other hand, should have consequences. In the context of keeping a constructive dialogue going, these consequences, if the transgression is obvious, should be severe from the outset.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png