Captain Ewok

TOS Violations and Moderator Responses

1,018 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Interesting

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

You aren't as valuable as you think.

Whilst you're not speaking as a person in control of this website, and whilst I can see where you're coming from (if I squint really, really hard) that's probably not the way to get people on board and I think you've phrased it a little too clunkily. "Hey guys, you aren't as valuable as you think! But totally stay and help out."

I'm also baffled by some claiming that people who leave will just be replaced. Leaving aside how ungrateful that comes across, some of the users on here have been around for years and years and know (and, as importantly, have a desire to share) an absolute truckload. You can't just replace these people with a click of the fingers. Insanity.

Edited by Berty

There's that smell again...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Firstly, Nich helped me and I am very, very appreciative of her sober, calm advice and guidance. If she really does not come back, then she will be sorely missed and it will be much to the detriment of the new waves of applicants coming through that there are less valued contributors on hand to provide them with good information and give them a reality check when it's needed.

In order to become a valued contributor (and to people going through the often stomach-churning experience of attaining a visa to re-uinte with a loved one, valued contributors are a life-line) you have to be around for a while, soak up information, sort it out in your head, see lots of different experiences and learn from them. It takes time and patience to build up that experience. Everyone is transient to an extent, no one is going to be on this forum forever and I imagine everyone has a point at which they want to quit. However, on the UK forum at least, valued contributors are leaving (forced or otherwise) faster than they can be replaced.

I haven't been a member for very long, read more than I post and when I do post have too often been one of those frantic "what comes next" folks. I want to cut down on that. As I move to AOS I would like to offer my experiences going through the UK K-1 stream, such as they are, to people going through the same thing, but my breadth of experience isn't so broad (and my patience not so strong) as people who are very dedicated and keep these pages on track with up to date information for new, scared, nervous folk taking on a challenge that may effect their relationship for better or worse, depending on how smoothly it goes. If I was just joining the forum now I would have a harder time understanding the process than when I joined last summer. I fear for those people who are just starting out.

My K-1 visa interview review: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=13931 Sorry for the grammar mistakes! I wrote this very quickly and am not able to go back and edit it!

My POE interview review: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php?trim=no&poe=JFK&page=1&dfilter=0

Native Northumbrian

100px-Flag_of_Northumberland.svg.png

Adopted New Yorker

100px-Flag_of_New_York_City.svg.png

Met in London, UK - 8th October, 2010

Fiancee moved back to NYC - October 2011

Two year long-distance relationship

I-129f sent - 10th September 2013

I-129f NOA1 - 24th September 2013

NOA2 - 18th October 2013 (so fast!!)

DS-160 sent - 14th November 2013

Readiness form submitted - 4th January 2014

Medical examination - 13th January 2014

Interview date - 11th February 2014

Visa approved!

Entered the US at JFK - 30th March 2014

Married! - 25th April 2014

Mailed AOS package - 8th May 2014

Recieved NOA for AOS - 12th May 2014

EAD/AP approved - 23rd July 2014

Received EAD/AP - 31st July 2014

Began working again! - 1st August 2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

moderators are subject to the same Terms of Service as any other member, yes. If a moderator does something that warrants a suspension, they would be suspended. They would also be removed as a moderator. Having been suspended while not being a moderator, however, does not prevent you from becoming a moderator. We hope people are able to 'learn' and grow from their experiences, and from personal experience, I am happy to say that this does happen.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My perception on 'this' is that 'the system' does not send out email notices that contain the information about the suspension and who to contact about it. the generic email address used goes to a general mailbox that only the site owner can read.

I can fully understand the reaction that Nich-Nick had when attempting to see the information about the suspension, visible only inside of the portal, and only visible when one clicks 'yes, I accept my transgression' button. I'm sure she was thinking, "What transgression? I have to admit to something before I can see what the problem was?" and that's totally alien to any human that has reading comprehension skills.

Telling someone to 'click it and read' is specious, IMO, as the application of guilt cannot even be figured out, no one can read stuff before accepting the blame.

It's a small thing, in the process of the suspension, but a reader will refuse to click the 'accept thy guilt' button only to be able to read the transgression.

IMO, that part of the system is poorly programmed, and the wording shown was not written by a native English speaker. And of course - the emails that are autogenerated are abysmally formatted and are mostly unreadable.

Regardless of hopes, wants, needs and desires, I can fully understand Nich-Nick's reaction to :

1. the email notice, as it's poorly done and

2. the internal rule to accept the guilt before being able to read about what happened...

Change the process, reformat the emails, and maybe the next time a subject-matter-expert gets slapped, the reaction would not be so foul.

Otherwise? Party-On, Wayne... And no, Kathryn, your missives on this in the last 24 hours speak nothing about what actually happened. I applaud the attempt you've made - I feel certain you were called in to respond for a reason, but you not cover the two singular bits that have made Nich-Nick blow up. Any reader, a reasonable person, a SME, IMO would have the same reaction in the future unless the code handling this stuff is reviewed and changed .

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Timeline

My perception on 'this' is that 'the system' does not send out email notices that contain the information about the suspension and who to contact about it. the generic email address used goes to a general mailbox that only the site owner can read.

One problem is that you are suspended before you can acknowledge a message has been sent before you have access to the "warning" message by whatever protocol is in place, and only then do you have the opportunity to plead your case to admin by opening a ticket for which no response given, nor any further action is taken, at least in my personal experience.

Timeline

When someone is issued an official verbal warning they receive a notice as follows:

(member's name),

You have been given a warning by (moderator's name)

Reason: (TOS violation involved -ie Inappropriate Language)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
this is a verbal warning

When you go to the site and try to post you get this message:

You have been issued a warning by a moderator. Before you can post again, you must acknowledge the warning.

this is a verbal warning

Warning issued by (moderator) for (TOS violation cited)
Given X points - expire on (date - usually 1 month unless otherwise noted)

you have to click on a blue button that reads: "I acknowledge this warning"

for a suspension you receive this notice:

(members name),

You have been given a warning by (Moderator)

Reason: (TOS violation)
suspension

when you try to log into VJ you receive this notice:

Your account has been temporarily suspended. This suspension is due to end on (exact date and time provided)

We can certainly take a look at the messages and see how we can make them better - one suggestion I have already offered is to have the blue button read 'I acknowledge receipt of this warning' which is different than acknowledging the warning and may make it more palatable.

We can also see if the time of suspension can be included in the notice of suspension rather than finding out the time when trying to log in but that may be a software format issue. We can check.

Thread bans do not come with any warning - just when you try to post to that thread you will receive a message telling you you do not have access to that thread. Because these don't come through the Warning Center there is no automatic message attached.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Timeline

One problem is that you are suspended before you can acknowledge a message has been sent before you have access to the "warning" message by whatever protocol is in place, and only then do you have the opportunity to plead your case to admin by opening a ticket for which no response given, nor any further action is taken, at least in my personal experience.

Ok, did not know you could not access anyone in administration while suspended. Email notices used to be sent our prior to the adoption of the warning center and I know I got feedback through those emails. Not sure how to resolve this but we will certainly discuss it. At the very least you should have access to the site administrator without having to acknowledge receipt of the warning/suspension.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Yup, I noticed that as well. There's some other process stuff broken, as well.

I think if one could log in and 'talk' with the mod team via pm (only) without having to click other things first, it'd be a different user experience. Sure, limit the rest of the interaction on the portal , but to NOT be able to communicate with the MOD TEAM when this happens? Massive Suck (to use a shorter label)...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Ok, did not know you could not access anyone in administration while suspended. Email notices used to be sent our prior to the adoption of the warning center and I know I got feedback through those emails. Not sure how to resolve this but we will certainly discuss it. At the very least you should have access to the site administrator without having to acknowledge receipt of the warning/suspension.

I haven't been suspended recently, but in the past when you tried to access VJ you got the message that your account was suspended, but there was a link to contact administration and I know many many people who used this link and never received a reply, myself included on multiple occasions. There was no way to contact moderation directly, just Site Administration which I was told long ago was Captain Ewok. I never heard of a single member who got a reply via this method.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have not been suspended, I have been thread banned and I have never received any notification.

You can always access by logging out.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”