Captain Ewok

TOS Violations and Moderator Responses

1,018 posts in this topic

Yes it's their site but the biggest asset of VJ is the experienced members who offer their time and expertise. If they drive off users of the calibre of Nich-Nick and lost at sea then it won't be a site worth visiting by anyone...

The members of a forum are its ONLY asset. Members with experience and knowledge, who continue to contribute for no other reason than the willingness to help and who provide really high quality information such as Nich-Nick did are THE MOST valuable. Too bad they don't recognise this and admit they should review and change their procedures. I certainly see no further need to stick around, not only because I will miss Nich-Nick's knowledge, but also because I feel the rules are applied in an unfair manner and I can also easily exercise my ability to go somewhere else. Losing members is how forums such as this lose their value and die.

Not really, recently I have had many it seems posts deleted by the Mod concerned. Couple of times I have been thread banned. One was totally weird but I could not be arsed to get into it.

I have never even been notified, the only way you know is clicking on the link and getting a message that you are not allowed to access that thread, still get all the subsequent posts.

I have often commented on the lady who turned up at the PoE with lots of luggage, her cats and her life paperwork as something not to do when seeking entry on the VWP. Sounds very much like what she said.

Personally, I'd go one up and just say that any discussion of AOS on the VWP shouldn't happen. It's too much of a grey area as we're seeing here and now. One false step and you fall into the "visa fraud" category. And someone will be along to lay the smackdown for it very quickly.

"What's yours is mine!"

Yes it's their site but the biggest asset of VJ is the experienced members who offer their time and expertise. If they drive off users of the calibre of Nich-Nick and lost at sea then it won't be a site worth visiting by anyone...

Somebody is always there to take the place of members who leave any forum.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

uh huh, replaced by those who keep asking.. "what next?" What to do?"

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Not people with a complete and ongoing set of knowledge however.

uh huh, replaced by those who keep asking.. "what next?" What to do?"

I have seen this happen on every forum I've ever frequented. No member is above the forum, no member is so valuable that the forum will collapse without them. Someone will take the place of any member who leaves. I spent years on a waiver forum and saw the cycle repeat itself. I started off as a n00b looking for info and progressed into someone well versed in the law and waiver process. I moved on. The forum is still going strong without most of the members that were there several years ago. Life goes on. And I mean nothing against the person who has decided to leave. It's just the way life is. If she's had enough of VJ, I can perfectly well understand that. I wish her well in whatever she decides.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The Athletic Club I belong to changed owners last year, they have pissed off many people and the numbers attending are dropping. Many of the people I know have or are thinking of quitting, they have been members for years.

I wonder if the intention is to run it into the ground, demolish and build houses.

As anybody in business knows getting new customers is expensive, you need to make sure you retain your existing customers.

This site is a business.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

The Athletic Club I belong to changed owners last year, they have pissed off many people and the numbers attending are dropping. Many of the people I know have or are thinking of quitting, they have been members for years.

I wonder if the intention is to run it into the ground, demolish and build houses.

As anybody in business knows getting new customers is expensive, you need to make sure you retain your existing customers.

This site is a business.

But this site has people who post a thousand times a day in the game forum. devil.gif

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

Obviously I do not have access to the numbers, but it is pretty clear that traffic is well down on a years or so ago.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

He is a disgraceful mod and should be fired. This is not the first heavy-handed moderation of his - locking all the stickied threads in the forums ring a bell?

You should also tender your resignation because you have proven time after time that you cannot be impartial.

I agree with your assessment of Ryan H., but I have found Kathryn to be fair always. If and when I disagree with her, I still respect her. I can't tell you how I know without violating the TOS, but there is an absolute reluctance to reverse or even reconsider a mod action, no matter how the other mods feel about that decision. Perhaps that attitude should change. Okay, There, I said it. You know who you are. You are welcome.

Timeline

I would hate to lose their support also. Just do what needs to be done. She isn't the only one that would be leaving.

I'd like to also chime in. To start, I support our mods completely when they enforce the TOS -- It's a tough job and no decision is easy. I wish folks could see the hard work they put in. Being fair and equal is not easy nor perfect but they try.

I also want to thank Nich-Nick and many other members for their support of the site. I will be contacting them personally to discuss the circumstances... they are a valued member of the site. I would hate to lose their support.

Kathryn has always been fair. To say different is ignorant. She may go too far to stand by her moderators but she is always fair.

Timeline

I agree with your assessment of Ryan H., but I have found Kathryn to be fair always. If and when I disagree with her, I still respect her. I can't tell you how I know without violating the TOS, but there is an absolute reluctance to reverse or even reconsider a mod action, no matter how the other mods feel about that decision. Perhaps that attitude should change. Okay, There, I said it. You know who you are. You are welcome.

Like one Consular Officer overturning another Consular Officer's decision?

The "offer of help" will be the same as always. An offer to block intervention by that specific moderator - which can and has been broken in the past.

"What's yours is mine!"