rss197

Advanced Parole Travel Question

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My Wife and I have our AOS interview tomorrow at 2:30PM. At 11:45PM we are scheduled to go on vacation to see her family. We have obtained her Advanced Parole document. I have heard they may take that at the interview and she may not be able to re-enter the US. Is this true?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My Wife and I have our AOS interview tomorrow at 2:30PM. At 11:45PM we are scheduled to go on vacation to see her family. We have obtained her Advanced Parole document. I have heard they may take that at the interview and she may not be able to re-enter the US. Is this true?

I highly doubt that, I mean that would be just down right mean

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

If you are approved at your interview your AP is rendered invalid. Bring proof of your travel plans and ask the IO to stamp her passport with the I-551 stamp if you are approved.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

I believe they will (can/should) stamp your wife's passport with what will be her temporary green card until she receives her real one. That's what google says anyway, lol, and it would make sense.

And if for whatever reason they cannot approve her green card right there and then, they I would keep a snug grip on her AP document. They should certainly be able to give her a way to go on vacation. You may have to tell them about the vacation.

Edited by JoannaV

What happens if we are approved immediately after the interview. I see that happening quite frequently.

Once you're approved, you will probably need to make an appointment and show them proof that you are going on a trip in which case they may stamp Form I-551 in your passport. If you can do all of this on the day of your interview depends on your IO I'd guess.

You'd better bring boading passes or e-tickets to your interview just in case.

Edited by snapshaps

J1 Researcher, citizen of EU country

Filed forms: i130,i485,i765 and i131

2010:

Oct 16: Shipped to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 27: NOA1 Notice date

Nov 15: Touch: i130,i131,i765 (i485 still not in online tracking system)

Nov 22: Received Biometrics Appointment Notice

Dec 16: Biometrics Appointment

Dec 22: AP Approved

Dec 22: EAD Approved (Card production ordered)

2011:

Jan 6: Received Interview Letter

Feb 3: Interview, approved. i485 finally shows up in the online tracking system (card production)

Feb 11: Green Card arrived in the mail

I had tickets for a month after my AoS interview. I took the flight itinerary with me. The IO told us "Congratulations, you're approved" and then she took my EAD and AP and asked for my passport and stamped in an I-551 valid for 3 months to cover me til my return in the event the green card didn't arrive before my departure date.

They're not monsters, they know that real life issues crop up and people take vacations. Just talk to your IO during the interview process; they normally find a way to help you. :)

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

I was told at my infopass meeting that if I am approved at the interview they will put a green stamp in my passport and I can leave the country and come back on that. If you are approved and get the green stamp in your passport you can travel and come back with that, you won't need the AP or the actual GC. that green stamp counts as your GC untill you get the actual card in hand. so you shouldn't have a problem, but ask them at the interview just incase :)

good luck on your interview, please let us know how it goes, I have my interview on August 9th...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We went for the adjustment of status interview today. I slipped into that we were leaving for the UK tonight and the interviewer said hmmm...We will make that work. She gave us a form back that said we needed further discovery. Then she said give me 10 minutes...we waited in the lobby and she came out and said we were approved. She then walked us downstairs up to a teller window (the last one there for the day because our interview was quite late) and got us the I-551 with a 6 month validity. She said my wifes green card will be there in 3 weeks.

We went for the adjustment of status interview today. I slipped into that we were leaving for the UK tonight and the interviewer said hmmm...We will make that work. She gave us a form back that said we needed further discovery. Then she said give me 10 minutes...we waited in the lobby and she came out and said we were approved. She then walked us downstairs up to a teller window (the last one there for the day because our interview was quite late) and got us the I-551 with a 6 month validity. She said my wifes green card will be there in 3 weeks.

You have the I-551 stamp, so your good to go and travel. As far as I'm aware of, most people who get approved at the interview get the stamp. I got one which was valid for one year, which I thought was odd as I got my GC 1 week later.

beach_1_001.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.