frantick1

Petitioner doesn't want to get married

106 posts in this topic

The fact she's refusing to leave indicates to me she's after the GC and not him.

Well, not necessarily. It is possible she is "refusing" to leave because she wants to give themselves more time to try and work things out. I know that's would I would do if I loved my fiancé enough and believed we had a chance to save our relationship.

The OP has no obligation to marry his fiancee, true, but it's only been two weeks and the least he can do is give it a bit more time and effort.

Dec 05, 2011: Received U.S. permanent resident status (AOS based on K-1 visa)

Dec 16, 2013: Removal of conditions on green card

Apr 28, 2015: Became a U.S. Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Well July 29 is coming around early. She has no right to stay in your house because you're not married (if you were married you couldn't just kick her out). There is no legal responsibility to her, just moral.

If I were you I would call the police to have her removed. While in the presence of police I would give her the tickets, advise her of the date, pay for a hotel/motel while waiting for the flight and then if she doesn't catch it, you have proof you tried to do the right thing.

I'm sorry it didn't work out.

this comment doesn't sound humanely ... :unsure: "just kick her out".... she is a woman with 2 kidds who left her country and everything to be with a man....well....who maybe even doesn't worth her love....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If it does not workout for you and her - please buy them a plane ticket and money to get back home. They also made changes to their life to come to the USA. Make it right for them.

Filed: Timeline

Only heartless people do such a thing. bringing someone to a foreign country and then sending them back home after couple of weeks. Think aboutthe children. You wouldn't want your children to go through this. If you don't wanna get married don't, but make it right for them, at least to make up for the stupidity of this situation.

This is such a tough situation. I just want to know what happened. How can you both decide on pursuing a k1 and then things go so bad right away? Do you think she just used you? When you say she doesn't want to go, is it because she wants to work it out or because she wants the GC? If I came here and then Tim just kicked me out, I think I would fight for it as well, and try to work it out. Sure I have a good home in Manila to go back to, but I loved him and I wouldn't give up that easily. This leads me to believe that maybe you both rushed into this too soon, or made a rash decision.. Either way, talk it out with her and make sure you know what you are doing.. I wish you luck!

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wow, after all the stuff you go through to obtain K1/2 visas, you want to throw them out after 15 days?

You want to send a mother and two daughters back to Columbia after they have been telling their friends and neighbors what a wonderful husband and father you are going to be? Yep, their welcome back home will be warm and understanding.

I don't know what constitutes a "disaster" in your world, but I'll bet your fiancee and daughters know.

Damn after two weeks my wife and daughter hadn't figured out the appliances, and you want to send yours packing.

If thats how you roll, fine. At least provide for them to make their return as easy as possible. The embarassment and cultural issues for them will not be easy, and that is probably the reason they don't want to return home, (yet).

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I still don't get why the ticket was a both way ticket from the get-go, and OP seems to be avoiding the question.

Oh and the call the cops comment? Isn't that a little too much without knowing fully the details of the situation? Bet people wouldn't say that if they were on the other side of the fence :bonk:

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Legally his biggest problem would be whatever the residency (tenancy) laws are where the OP lives. If she refuses to go then he is actually probably breaking the law if he just ejects her from the residence. Of course she probably doesn't know this and would leave if threatened with calling the cops to have her removed (not saying to do that).

As for everyone trying to guilt him into marrying her: "Think of the kids", "She gave up her whole life to come here", etc. So what, she's an adult also and she made a choice just like he did. If she didn't make sure she had a back-up plan if things went south then that's on her the mother of 2 kids. Who can seriously say he should marry her "for the kids"?

The round trip tickets doesn't seem so strange to me (even the short time for the return flight) as I've seen where it's common for RT to be cheaper than 1 way tickets. I'd say it's unfortunate that the return flight wasn't closer to the 90 days as it does impose a short deadline to try to work through any rough patches.

The guy just lost his job too--he may not be thinking clearly on all of this. I really suggest you take a good long look at why you're doing this. It's pretty darn stressful to lose a job at your age in this economy...if she's not the woman for you, sure, things don't work out. But I'd hate for you to make a hasty decision...the fact that you wrote in your post that you lost your job shows that it's part of your stress related to this...

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Of course, nobody can push you to get married, but... what happened that you wrote about "disaster" just in a 2 weeks? You wrote that you lost your work, ok, that's really sad, but do you thinking that your fiancee also lost work while leaving her country? I don't know, but probably not only work if she sold her property before going to you. How do you think she will live now going back to Columbia, not having money, work... I don't know about housing. And she has 2 children whom she needs to feed anyway. If it's not her guilt that these 2 weeks were "disaster", it's cruel and inhumanely to just drive her to the airport in a few days and to tell "bye, hope you'll survive after going back to Columbia". My thoughts - give a chance to your relationship, visa K1 works for a 90 days and you had only two weeks, you still have 10 more weeks to think if you're not sure now. K1 visa is a long process, it takes at least 6-7 months with at least one meeting in person, sometimes much longer, and if something were wrong and you got red flags earlier - why you agreed with your fiancee still going to you? And if everything was ok, how this long relationship could crush just in a 2 weeks? What such awful she could made that you want to cut out all time and efforts you spent together? And if it's not her guilt and you don't want to get married just because you don't want anymore, it's of course your right, but it's very cruel. I think in K1 visa you had to decide pretty seriously at least before foreign fiance(ee) lost work and sold any property preparing to go to US. Then it would be easier for your fiancee to stay in Columbia with children. You didn't buy a toy in a supermarket which easy to send back ot throw if you don't like it, you made petition with which alive person with children left their fatherland and went to live with you in your country. So don't rush, wait some time closer to the end of K1 visa and give a chance to your relationship, may be it will work. If not, help her to go back after these 90 days. (It's Victor (Russian fiance) writing.)

Our timlines K1 visa - Citizenship (06.28.2011 - 08.01.2016)

K1 Visa Timeline (06.28.2011 - 04.07.2012)

• 06-28-2011: I-129F sent to Dallas
  • 07-05-2011: NOA1 (CSC)
  • 01-05-2012: NOA2 (184 days since NOA1)
  • 01-13-2012: NVC passed
  • 01-19-2012: Embassy received our case
  • 02-14-2012: Interview PASSED! :D K-1 Visa Approved! :D
  • 03-08-2012: POE
  • 04-07-2012: Wedding!

AOS/EAD Timeline (04.26.2012 - 12.13.2012)

• 04-26-2012: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago Lockbox
  • 05-02-2012: NOA1 (both I-485 and I-765)
  • 05-23-2012: Biometrics taken
  • 07-02-2012: Employment Authorization Issued (07-09-2012 - received in the mail)
  • 12-03-2012: Made Service Request for I-485, because case is beyond processing time
  • 12-07-2012: I-485 APPROVED! 219 days since NOA1. No interview/RFE
  • 12-13-2012: GreenCard in the mailbox, done with AOS!

Lifting of conditions Timeline (09.04.2014 - 01.14.2015)

• 09-04-2014: I-751 sent to CSC
  • 09-08-2014: NOA1
  • 11-10-2014: Biometrics taken
  • 01-07-2015: Approved! Only 122 days since NOA1. No interview/RFE
  • 01-14-2015: GreenCard in the mailbox

Citizenship Timeline (09.03.2015 - 01.08.2016)

- 09-03-2015: N-400 sent to Phoenix

- 09-10-2015: NOA1

- 10-08-2015: Biometrics taken

- 10-28-2015: Case is in line for an interview

- 11-02-2015: Letter with Naturalization Interview Appointment

- 12-07-2015: Interview passed

- 01-08-2016: Naturalization Oath Ceremony, I'm a US citizen now!

tTM3p3.png

Fanta, I have no opinion on this matter, but this is what I am asking of the posters (naysayers) since Fanta has no job, which generally means no income, how do you propose that he feed these two children? I am quite sure he would take donations if you'll would like to offer up some.

The mother would probably have a better chance of feeding and keeping her children safer back in her own home country where she has family and friends, than to be stuck here with no help. Before you'll continue to judge this poster about his decisions look at all of the facts. Yes, I am in agreement that a lot of facts have been left out, but that was the posters choice.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Just out of curiosity, she has been here for 2 weeks, correct? Why is her return flight for July 29? Were you not planning on marrying her? Why would you make the flight 3 weeks out as opposed to 90 days out if a R/T ticket was what was needed. I'm assuming you weren't really planning on them using this July 29 flight?

good luck

This does not seem strange to me. When I came over on my K-1 I also purchased a return ticket with the returning flight only a couple of weeks out. It was by far the cheapest way to do it at that particular time (changing return dates can vastly affect the ticket price). Seemed logical to me, I never had any intention of using the return flight anyway, so it didn't matter when it was.

Edited by Nigel&Meggie
adu7iqzpc.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Not sure that this is the right area of the forum, but here goes...

The bottom line is that I (the male, petitioner of a K1 and two K2 visas) no longer wish to get married to the K1 visa holder. She has been here 15 days and it is a disaster. On top of that I'm 58 and just (last Friday) lost my job of 8 years.

How can I best extricate myself from this situation?

Ok, We all have an opinion here, but seriously, could you clarify the situation a little more???????

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.