Hoptastic

Denied at American/Canadian border now filing for I-130

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

Here's the story.

My current wife was living in Toronto, Canada on a working holiday in 2009 (we weren't married then). She is originally from Japan. I was living in Chicago (I'm a US citizen).

She had about 3-4 weeks left on her working holiday but decided to call it quits and come down to Chicago for 1-2 months (on visa waiver) before going back to Japan. I drove up to Toronto, packed up her stuff, and drove back.

When we got to the border everything was fine until they checked my car. They saw all of her stuff and then started asking questions. Since she was going to stay with me for 1-2 months, we didn't buy a plane ticket back to Japan for her yet. Long story short, she was denied entry and labeled "foreigner without visa with immigrant intent". We tried telling them our story but they nope, denied entry. She hasn't tried to enter again since. We know better now.

So we turned the car around and went back to Canada. She stayed there for the next 4 weeks and then went back to Japan. After about 5 months apart we got working holiday visas for New Zealand. We moved here in Dec 2010, got jobs, both have working holiday visas, got married here in April 2011, and now are a couple of days away from doing DCF for our I-130.

Is that denial on her passport going to hurt us? Is there anything else we need to do or be prepared for? On her passport, they stamped her visa initially but then just wrote "canceled" on it.

thanks in advance

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Nope, I was denied entry into the US twice, as long as she discloses it and is truthful when asked, it shouldn't be an issue

That is, as long as it was a simple denial of entry, and there was no misrepresentation or anything specific written into her passport

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

; My entry got denied once in Philladelphia, because like you two, I didn't buy a return-ticket as I didn't know when I was flying back within the 2 months of vacation with my love & didn't bring any proof of my ties in my home country although I had a job and all that.

No misrepresentation, No bar. THANK GOD! :whistle:

I have my interview (K1) next week and I'm sure that it won't become a problem. Otherwise they wouldn't have send me a NOA2. Anywhooo, just be honest at the interiew and things should be alright.

As long if there wasn't a misrepresentation or bar, things should be fine. Maybe a little more questions at the interview. Like I said, answer their questions truthfully :thumbs:

Edited by Channah&Aaron

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Filed: Country:
Timeline

If you really want to be sure, look and see if CBP stamped anything in her passport. You can look up the stamped numbers (if any) and see what they mean.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You need to disclose it on the Dw-230 where it asks, simply put that she did not have the proper visa to enter, or she did not show non-immigrant intent, or she failed to produce sufficient ties to Japan. Don't write a book, simply tell the honest truth. Trust me, they already know what happened, you don't need to repeat it

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.