tehbry

I-130 Question: Dual Nationalities, potential name differences

3 posts in this topic

Hello. Thank you to this great resource. My wife (UKC) and myself (USC) are about to apply for our immigration visa for her to come to the US. I have a lot of questions, but only one that I haven't been able to find a good answer.

She has Irish and UK citizenship. In her Irish passport, her name is listed in the Gaelic first name, with her maiden name as her last name. On her UK passport, it it listed as her normal, and birth name both first and last (maiden name). For clarification, the last name is spelled the same in both, but the first name is spelled different in the two passports. A few notes: She always travels with her Irish passport, so evidence of our trips together are inside that document. In her Irish passport, the last page states 'birth name of (same name in UK passport).'

Here's my question: Do we need to do anything on the I-130 or the G-325A that shows her alternative spellings of her first name? Will we need to do anything in regards to later documents such as the 864 or 230 for the NVC process?

Thanks for your help.

Here's my question: Do we need to do anything on the I-130 or the G-325A that shows her alternative spellings of her first name? Will we need to do anything in regards to later documents such as the 864 or 230 for the NVC process?

Thanks for your help.

Many forms have a box for "other names used". I would list the full other name, not just the other first name. If someone is married, they normally apply in their married last name and use that box to report their maiden name. If she has two maiden names used because of spellings, then list both.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Many forms have a box for "other names used". I would list the full other name, not just the other first name. If someone is married, they normally apply in their married last name and use that box to report their maiden name. If she has two maiden names used because of spellings, then list both.

Yes, list both full names. My names are different in the US and Russia (maiden name listed as middle name), and on G325A we put my American name and then Russian name under "other names used". But when you choose which name to apply with - stick to it. Almost all forms require to state citizenship, too, so list Ireland first and UK second. So far I have not had any problems with the names. Only make sure that she's able to get police certificates for all names she's listed under, it's very important.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.