Pejo

I864 Joint Sponsor Requirement

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello!

Just at the end of the K1 Phase.

Question about the I-864. She doesn't make enough so we're just a cosponsor, who is her Father. Her Father easily earns enough by himself to cover the poverty limits for us; however, he files his taxes jointly with the Mother. Do I need to also do a I-864 for her because of this? Or is this only done when they jointly make over the poverty limit but not by themself.

We're supposed to let USCIS know when we change address. Is this only during active petitions or during until we get our greencard? The address that I wrote that I would be moving to was her parents since we didn't have our place yet; however, since we just got this place, it has a different address (of course). I was thinking about not bugging them about it and just saying I moved from the original address to this one when we got married, using the new address for the AOS paperwork. However, if we have to let them know anyways, I may as well file it now.

Steve

Edit: We won't be living with them. they live together though.

Edited by Pejo

K1 Visa Timeline

01-27-2011: NOA1!

02-22-2011: NOA2!

03-14-2011: Packet 3 Filled Out. Delayed Interview until closer to POE, August.

08-09-2011: Interview at 10am!

08-19-2011: POE

08-21-2011: Married

AOS

08-25-2011: Sent AOS Packet with EAD & AP

08-29-2011: NOA1 for AOS, EAD and AP

09-29-2011: Biometrics Appointment

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The fact that they file taxes jointly is irrelevant, only the father will be your cosponsor. You will need to include the joint tax returns with his I-864, but you just enter his individual income [which you can get from his W-2] on the form itself.

If they were each individually under the poverty limit, I don't think you could use either as a cosponsor. You certainly can't use the two of them combined - the form doesn't work that way.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The fact that they file taxes jointly is irrelevant, only the father will be your cosponsor. You will need to include the joint tax returns with his I-864, but you just enter his individual income [which you can get from his W-2] on the form itself.

If they were each individually under the poverty limit, I don't think you could use either as a cosponsor. You certainly can't use the two of them combined - the form doesn't work that way.

If they wanted to use both the father and mother's income for joint sponsorship, the father could fill out the I-864 and the mother could fill out the I-864A which would combine their incomes to use. However, if the father meets the poverty level on his own, then it isn't needed, but it can be done.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Thank you for the replies on that. That saves me a lot of work. Does anyone know the answer for the second part? Is it only during the actual applications or does every K1 that has crossed the border file the AR11 (or whatever form it is) when they move.

Steve

K1 Visa Timeline

AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Thank you for the replies on that. That saves me a lot of work. Does anyone know the answer for the second part? Is it only during the actual applications or does every K1 that has crossed the border file the AR11 (or whatever form it is) when they move.

Steve

It is a legal requirement for the immigrant/LPR to change their address within 10 days of moving. The sponsor has 30 days. This continues until the immigrant/LPR becomes a USC (or abandons the GC).

I would file the AR-11 when you move OR just send the AOS documents with the new address. Depends on how long between filing AOS and moving (to be safe).

Timeline

Thanks Vanessa. Since I'll be filing the day after, this shouldn't be an issue at all. I'll just have to remember that I need to do that from then on.

Steve

K1 Visa Timeline

AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.