Illicit

Bogota, Colombia DCF

1 post in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

First off, thanks to the many informative folks on this website. It has helped tremendously.

Background: I am a U.S. citizen working on Colombia, married my girlfrend of two years 04/07/2011. Since she already had a U.S. tourist visa, we simply went to a justice of the peace in Florida.

I am not sure of the exact dates, but I filed the I-130 along with all supporting documentation, i.e., photographs, divorce documents, certified marriage license, etc. After paying the $420.00, the guy at the window asked that I sit down for a bit. Probably 5-10 minutes later he called me back to the window and said we would be receiving an email instructing us what to do next. The email is below:

EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

CONSULAR SECTION

BOGOTA, COLOMBIA

Name of applicant(s):Deleted our names for privacy

Category(ies): CR-1

Dear Embassy Employee or Contractor: Deleted name for privacy

The Immigrant Visa Unit has received your namecheck from USCIS Panama. This means that your family member(s) are ready for their final interview which will take place in the main visa waiting room.

For security reasons, your family members must enter the visa waiting room through the entrance located at the corner of Calle 26 and Carrera 50. They will not be allowed to enter the visa waiting room through the gate near Post 1.

They should arrive at the Calle 26 and Carrera 50 entrance to the visa waiting room by 8:00 a.m. any Monday through Friday the Consular Section is open for business. The morning of their interview they must bring required documents and tell one of the Consular Section greeters they have an open appointment. Once in the visa waiting room, they should proceed directly to Window No. 1.

They MUST bring this email so the guards will know to let them in for their interview. You may attend their interview, but your presence is not required.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Estimado Empleado o Contratista de la Embajada: Deleted name for privacy

Hemos recibido la aprobación de su petición por parte de la oficina de Inmigración de los Estados Unidos (USCIS) en Panamá. El caso de sus familiares se encuentra listo para su entrevista final la cual tendrá lugar en nuestra sala de espera.

Por razones de seguridad, los miembros de su familia deben ingresar a la sala de espera por la entrada localizada en la esquina de la Calle 26 con Carrera 50. No se les permitirá el ingreso a la Embajada por el Puesto No. 1.

Deben estar presentes en la entrada de la Calle 26 con Carrera 50 a las 8:00a.m. de Lunes a Viernes siempre y cuando la Sección Consular esté abierta para el público en general, con toda la documentación pertinente. Deberán informarle a una de las señoritas promotoras que tienen una cita abierta. Una vez en la sala de espera, deberán dirigirse a la Ventana No. 1.

Su familia debe presentar esta carta para que seguridad le permita ingresar para su entrevista. Usted puede estar presente en la entrevista pero su presencia no es obligatoria.

This email is UNCLASSIFIED.

Yesterday we went and completed her immigrant visa. One thing I would make sure everyone does is go through the checklist more than once and make sure you have all the documents. Pay attention to the size of the photos for your spouse because they are not the standard passport size, rather the 5cm X 5cm.

Because she already had a U.S. tourist visa, the lady who verified our documents said she could have either the immigrant visa or tourist visa, not both. We went with the immigrant visa so we could start the next process.

QUESTIONS

1.Now, as I understand it she has one entry to the U.S. whereby somehow magically USCIS is informed and she will get her green card. From what I have read this can take anywhere from 3-6 weeks. Can anyone on here confirm or deny that?

2.Also, on the paperwork we filled in the box to get her Social Security card. Does anyone know how long this will take?

3.I would like to take her to the U.S. to get all that stuff started, but do not want to leave her up there. Would she be able to return to COlombia? My thoughts are that we can have my neighbor pick all that stuff up and mail it to us.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.