Shawna and James

POE question

49 posts in this topic

sweet that makes it a lot easier :) thanks!

You're welcome! :)

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Can anyone help me? I am a Canadian Citizen and I received my immigrant visa a couple of months ago. This is good till Sept. 25, 2011. I will be flying from Canada to the U.S. on July 20. What happens next? Does the POE officer stamp my passport, or do I have to go through another type of interview. I have a sealed package containing my medical tests, marriage certificate, financial records, etc. Are there any standard questions they ask? I have already passed my interview and everything else.

Thank you all.

Can anyone help me? I am a Canadian Citizen and I received my immigrant visa a couple of months ago. This is good till Sept. 25, 2011. I will be flying from Canada to the U.S. on July 20. What happens next? Does the POE officer stamp my passport, or do I have to go through another type of interview. I have a sealed package containing my medical tests, marriage certificate, financial records, etc. Are there any standard questions they ask? I have already passed my interview and everything else.

Thank you all.

Once you get to POE and get to the customs officer, tell them you're activating a spousal visa. They'll then ask for the sealed envelope which you then hand over. They'll go over it. They might ask you some questions. I was asked where my husband is, how I'm moving my stuff, how long I've been married, etc. Nothing hard at all. Once the officer goes through everything, they'll take your fingerprints and ask you to sign two forms. I've also heard of them taking a picture, but not me. Once everything's in order, they'll then stamp your passport, and you're good to go.

If you want, you can read my POE review for more details. Just click on my timeline and head to the bottom where the review is.

Edited by Saylin

Timeline

Thanks Saylin,

Would you know how soon after I have my passport stamped that I have to move into the U.S. I have some unfinished business to take care of in Canada first. I read that the US gives you up to 12 months to move to the US. Would you know if that's correct? I guess I could move in January and then spend another 182 days in Canada in 2012 so as not to lose my US residency.

Thanks again

Thanks Saylin,

Would you know how soon after I have my passport stamped that I have to move into the U.S. I have some unfinished business to take care of in Canada first. I read that the US gives you up to 12 months to move to the US. Would you know if that's correct? I guess I could move in January and then spend another 182 days in Canada in 2012 so as not to lose my US residency.

Thanks again

All I know is that you have to activate your visa within 6 months cause that's when most immigrant visas expired. I know some people activate their visa and then return to Canada to finish things up before returning to the US permanently. But in those cases, most people just take a month or two to tie up all loose ends (jobs, leases, etc). If I were you, I'd suggest waiting as much as possible with your visa before activating it, like one or two months before the expiration. Why I'm saying this is because if you activate it soon after getting the visa and then spend 6 months in Canada, you might get some problems when you file the I-751 to remove conditions. And if you ever apply for citizenship, being 6 months out of the US as a resident might look bad. The less amount of time you spend outside the US as a US resident, the better. So, if you wait a bit before activating your visa (and when you activate, you become a US resident), it'd be better. But of course, this all depends on your situation. Just my two cents.

Timeline

Thanks Saylin,

Can I still go through the POE without having my immigrant Visa stamped? I was planning to go to California on July 20 on vacation anyways. I hope the POE agent doesn't think I'm crazy if I ask him not to stamp it for now. My immigration visa expires on Sept. 25, 2011

Thanks again

Thanks Saylin,

Can I still go through the POE without having my immigrant Visa stamped? I was planning to go to California on July 20 on vacation anyways. I hope the POE agent doesn't think I'm crazy if I ask him not to stamp it for now. My immigration visa expires on Sept. 25, 2011

Thanks again

I believe you're allowed, but be careful. I'd call the CBP and ask to confirm just in case.

Thanks

Would you know if there is a main no. to call? I will be going thru US customs at the Dorval airport in MTL.

I found this number 514-636-3875 for the Dorval airport on this page: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/preclear_locations.xml Try that number and see where it gets you. Good luck!

Timeline

Hi Everyone!

I went thru US customs at Trudeau airport in Mtl on July 20. I asked the customs official if I could opt to not having my US immigration visa stamped at that time and he said that I had no choice but to have it stamped. I told him that I had read that this was the POE officer's decision and he said that the POE will decide. He asked me for my sealed envelope and then led me to a waiting room. After about 45 minutes I was called in by a POE officer and I asked him the same thing, if I have the choice not to have my visa stamped right away so that I could buy a bit more time before I moved to the US. He said the choice was mine but it wouldn't really make a difference in me having to move to the US any faster. He said the US would be understanding if I needed some time to go back to Canada to finish up my affairs before I moved. He said that the US would give 6 months for sure. He said that there wouldn't be any problem if I moved to the US in January. So I finally decided to have my visa stamped. He opened my packet, went rhough the documents, finger printed me and stamped my visa. He wrote "IR1 in my stamp. He verified the address where the green card should be mailed and told me it should take 2 months for it's arrival.

Would anyone be able to help me with the following questions?

-I forgot to ask him whether our original marriage and my birth certificate would be mailed to me along with the green card?

-Also, what happens with my sealed medical records including my chest xray- do I ever get this back or are these only for them to see?

-My Canadian passport has to be renewed by Sept 26, 2011. Would you know if they would transfer the US visa into my new Canadian passport?

Thank you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Everyone!

I went thru US customs at Trudeau airport in Mtl on July 20. I asked the customs official if I could opt to not having my US immigration visa stamped at that time and he said that I had no choice but to have it stamped. I told him that I had read that this was the POE officer's decision and he said that the POE will decide. He asked me for my sealed envelope and then led me to a waiting room. After about 45 minutes I was called in by a POE officer and I asked him the same thing, if I have the choice not to have my visa stamped right away so that I could buy a bit more time before I moved to the US. He said the choice was mine but it wouldn't really make a difference in me having to move to the US any faster. He said the US would be understanding if I needed some time to go back to Canada to finish up my affairs before I moved. He said that the US would give 6 months for sure. He said that there wouldn't be any problem if I moved to the US in January. So I finally decided to have my visa stamped. He opened my packet, went rhough the documents, finger printed me and stamped my visa. He wrote "IR1 in my stamp. He verified the address where the green card should be mailed and told me it should take 2 months for it's arrival.

-I forgot to ask him whether our original marriage and my birth certificate would be mailed to me along with the green card?

-Also, what happens with my sealed medical records including my chest xray- do I ever get this back or are these only for them to see?

-My Canadian passport has to be renewed by Sept 26, 2011. Would you know if they would transfer the US visa into my new Canadian passport?

Thank you.

First off congrats!!!

1) You may not get them back unfortunately. You should have received them back at your interview or worst case with your package but not inside the package. Maybe someone else can be more help in that catogory.

2) You will never see your medical records again lol .. I kept my xray though as they didnt need it at poe.

3) eek thats a tricky one however if you are lucky you might actually have your perm resident card in about 4-5 weeks.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

Hi Saylin,

Saylin would you mind answering me the 3 questions below? Thanks

Also did you have to go to an AOS (adjustment of status) interview with your sponsor before you got your green card? I was never told about this by my POE officer. He simple said that I will receive my green card in about 2 months.

Thanks

BTW Thanks Canadiandggal,

Please don't mind for asking Saylin to answer me on these 3 questions as well since she has been of great help- not to take anything away from you.

Hi Everyone!

Thank you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think AOS interviews are for those whoe are already living in the US but would like to become permanent residents. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

Aos interviews are for people who are in the states already or for people who came in on k-1 visas. cr-1/ir-1 do not have aos interviews

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.