jac_chappin

K-1 nterview on 7/14/11

31 posts in this topic

Which is probably why Marc included letters from our first time as a couple nearly a quarter of a century ago ;) Those were the ones I kept at my mother's house - my fiance burned hers with her friends when we broke up.

May I ask what was the reason they put you guys in AP?

It was incompleted medical on the first interview, added to that was almost a year wait for the result of the sputum tests from the two Medical. The visa medical staff kept insisting on the sputum tests after her x-ray shows a tiny white spot which they thought it may be TB. Everything was clean, but it did take several months for the test to come back when the medical is only good for 6 months. Our case was on hold, didn't get touch and ran out of time until I showed up at the Consulate several times to request to expedite..2nd medical was done again..same test, same wait..but this time it was approved before the medical expired..Whew :thumbs:

This was all before the new Consulate chief got there..everything was much slower in the previous years.

So..keep in mind the expiration dates for these items: Police Cert. and Interview (1 yr), Medical (6 mons). If you get approved in the first round, then don't worry..but if the case gets delay for some reasons, pay attention to the deadline and press on (ie..Consulate visit, Congressional inquiry) to get the case look at and not going on the merry-go-round.

Good luck to you!!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It was incompleted medical on the first interview, added to that was almost a year wait for the result of the sputum tests from the two Medical. The visa medical staff kept insisting on the sputum tests after her x-ray shows a tiny white spot which they thought it may be TB. Everything was clean, but it did take several months for the test to come back when the medical is only good for 6 months. Our case was on hold, didn't get touch and ran out of time until I showed up at the Consulate several times to request to expedite..2nd medical was done again..same test, same wait..but this time it was approved before the medical expired..Whew :thumbs:

This was all before the new Consulate chief got there..everything was much slower in the previous years.

So..keep in mind the expiration dates for these items: Police Cert. and Interview (1 yr), Medical (6 mons). If you get approved in the first round, then don't worry..but if the case gets delay for some reasons, pay attention to the deadline and press on (ie..Consulate visit, Congressional inquiry) to get the case look at and not going on the merry-go-round.

Good luck to you!!!

I don't want to get off topic but for somebody that is in AP, how often should they make an inquiry to the congressman like senators and representatives? Does this work? I really want to keep inquiring over and over but I worry they will get angry with me. What is your advise?

K1 Visa Stage
Aug 23, 2010: I-129F NOA 1
Feb 07, 2011: I-129F NOA 2
May 23, 2011: Interview. Blue Slip
Jun 20, 2011: Submit Documents: 1) Timeline, 2) 10 year residency(me), 3) 10 year residency(Thu), 4) Letter explaining how/where we met. Second Blue Slip
Feb 03, 2012: U.S. Consulate Investigators call Thu's residence. Spoke to Thu and Thu's parents
Feb 27, 2012: Received email from the U.S. Consulate that our case is finished processing. Requested to submit updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 06, 2012: Submitted updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 21, 2012: Received K1 Visa
Apr 07, 2012: Point of Entry @ LAX

Adjustment of Status Stage
Apr 23, 2012: Got married!
Apr 30, 2012: Received Social Security Card
Jun 30, 2012: Applied for AOS
Sep 22, 2012: Received Employment Authorization Card...Still waiting for 2 yr GC

May 01, 2013: Received 2yr GC

Removal of Conditions Stage

Apr 18, 2015: Will apply for 10yr GC

I don't want to get off topic but for somebody that is in AP, how often should they make an inquiry to the congressman like senators and representatives? Does this work? I really want to keep inquiring over and over but I worry they will get angry with me. What is your advise?

Hey, how are you doing? Hope you feel better since your last post a couple weeks ago..hang in there and be patient..things will work out for you.

Since it's only been a few weeks ago, give the process some time to work. The congressional staffs make the inquiries on you behalf so don't worry about getting anyone angry, just check in with them every few weeks to get updates. In the mean time, send email to the Consulate for status also.

The process is much faster now compares to years ago so I hope your case won't be in AP too long...if you can go back, visit the Consulate and make a personal inquiry/submit any more evidence you may have..IMO, I think this will have a positive impact since it shows a more personal commitment than just routine inquiries. Best of lucks to you!!!

Timeline

our list looks really solid Jac. I'm sure you guys will do great!

I had some questions on a few things on your list that I don't hear about as often.

1) Letter from Employer

Is this just a letter verifying your employment or something else? (jac) This letter is from my employer stating that I work there. It has hire date, salary, position, where full time or part time.

2) Notorized letter from your family and signed letter from hers.

Do others have experience doing this? For those who have, has it helped you? Jac, were you going to frontload this in your originals folder during the interview? (JAC) not sure that they will ask for it but will be ready.

3) I-134 with letters of intent

Can someone explain the letters of intent part? (JAC) it just states that you and your fiance are legally free to marry .

As a precautionary measure, you could prepare the notorized 10 year residence timeline for you and the SO just in case it comes to that. That holds true for the list of her relatives in the states.

---------------

Thanks to everyone that posted a reply. Tuan - let's try to meet up.

Timeline

Doanh, they brought your friend "in"? By "in", is their a separate meeting room or are you saying he just was interviewed at the counter? That sounds like a straight up stokes interview if he was brought in. Interesting...

If you could give the group some specifics of the interview like how long was their respective interviews, what questions were asked, and what was their result, that would be very helpful for the group.

Cheers!

I am not too sure whether he was in a private room. I am assuming two different windows. This friend is a friend of a friend ...hehe.. so. However, the questions were basic. How/when did you meet? Seems to be a very important question.

At last they asked when did you first kiss. He answered: at home. She answered: at a coffee shop. They brought the two together and asked the question again. She was super nervous about to break down and cry. Interviewer said don't worry you passed. THat was just a bonus question, all your other answers matched.

So asking when did you have your first kiss is alright but I've heard this from other people before that very personal questions were being asked: Did you have sex? What is the favorite position?

Is this hold true to anyone?

If these super private questions are being asked, can one (interviewee) refuse to answer? It is obvious that questions like these are rather rude, obnoxious and perverted.

Hey Jac, thanks for the reply! The letters of intent, I believe that was asked during the original I-129F, right? Good luck Jac and let us know how it goes!

K-1 Visa

I-129F application received at USCIS: November 30, 2010

I-129F approved: March 28, 2011

Packet 3 Received: April 11, 2011

Packet 3 forms submitted to Consulate: May 4, 2011

Packet 4 received: June 16th, 2011

Interview date: July 25, 2011 (Pink!)

Pick up Visa: August 1, 2011

POE: August 5th, 2001 (Woot!)

Hey Doanh, Thanks for your friend's friends recap. It kind of sounds like the standard fiancé questioning versus stokes style. Happy he got his pink! Let us know if you remember other questions.

So you bring up a good point. When is it okay not to answer a CO? The kissing thing seems harmless, however sex and other deep personal questions seem like crossing the line. Its unethical in my opinion but I wonder if it's illegal in anyway?

K-1 Visa

I-129F application received at USCIS: November 30, 2010

I-129F approved: March 28, 2011

Packet 3 Received: April 11, 2011

Packet 3 forms submitted to Consulate: May 4, 2011

Packet 4 received: June 16th, 2011

Interview date: July 25, 2011 (Pink!)

Pick up Visa: August 1, 2011

POE: August 5th, 2001 (Woot!)

Timeline

Hey Jac, thanks for the reply! The letters of intent, I believe that was asked during the original I-129F, right? Good luck Jac and let us know how it goes!

The letter of intent was address to USCIS in the I-129F. Now another letter of intent is needed to address to VN consulate. I am not sure what others did but this is what we did.

Timeline

Bug them until their ears bleed.good.gif

Timeline

I am not too sure whether he was in a private room. I am assuming two different windows. This friend is a friend of a friend ...hehe.. so. However, the questions were basic. How/when did you meet? Seems to be a very important question.

At last they asked when did you first kiss. He answered: at home. She answered: at a coffee shop. They brought the two together and asked the question again. She was super nervous about to break down and cry. Interviewer said don't worry you passed. THat was just a bonus question, all your other answers matched.

So asking when did you have your first kiss is alright but I've heard this from other people before that very personal questions were being asked: Did you have sex? What is the favorite position?

Is this hold true to anyone?

If these super private questions are being asked, can one (interviewee) refuse to answer? It is obvious that questions like these are rather rude, obnoxious and perverted.

All the time I have been here and have never heard the interview at the consulate ask anything this personal. Not even the kissing. If they do ask things like this anyone would be in the right to refuse to answer and tell them why. Persist then ask for their superior right away. They all have superiors.

Timeline

Bug them until their ears bleed.good.gif

When do you think I should start contacting my Congressman? So far it has been just shy of 3 weeks in AP.

K1 Visa Stage
Aug 23, 2010: I-129F NOA 1
Feb 07, 2011: I-129F NOA 2
May 23, 2011: Interview. Blue Slip
Jun 20, 2011: Submit Documents: 1) Timeline, 2) 10 year residency(me), 3) 10 year residency(Thu), 4) Letter explaining how/where we met. Second Blue Slip
Feb 03, 2012: U.S. Consulate Investigators call Thu's residence. Spoke to Thu and Thu's parents
Feb 27, 2012: Received email from the U.S. Consulate that our case is finished processing. Requested to submit updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 06, 2012: Submitted updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 21, 2012: Received K1 Visa
Apr 07, 2012: Point of Entry @ LAX

Adjustment of Status Stage
Apr 23, 2012: Got married!
Apr 30, 2012: Received Social Security Card
Jun 30, 2012: Applied for AOS
Sep 22, 2012: Received Employment Authorization Card...Still waiting for 2 yr GC

May 01, 2013: Received 2yr GC

Removal of Conditions Stage

Apr 18, 2015: Will apply for 10yr GC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

well? :whistle:

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.