clueless_in_usa

The wife wants to return to Russia

200 posts in this topic

You live in ALASKA.

Yeah, sorry, but I think St. Pete has more conveniences. And they don't have dryers in Western Europe either.

And when you drive an hour outside of St.Pete...or Moscow for that matter ..what's it like then eekee? Ya we know don't we. :hehe:

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

It's quite nice for a little respite from urban life, if you're into nature, which I am not.

And I wouldn't live an hour outside the city in Russia or in the US or anywhere, because like I said, nature is not my thing.

Now I have to go across the street in a country supposedly lacking in modern conveniences and eat burger king and check out the sale at H&M.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

And when you drive an hour outside of St.Pete...or Moscow for that matter ..what's it like then eekee? Ya we know don't we. :hehe:

I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

My friends are throwing bachelorette party for me at my friend's dacha. I bet we won't suffer there :lol:

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Filed: Timeline

OP, since you're both engineers, will you be able to work for only 6 mos at a clip and have a job to come back to, or will you have to find new employment each time you move?

I'd wait until your wife has citizenship, so she doesn't risk losing her gc. I do realize you're allowed to stay out of the country w/ a gc for a certain length of time, but I'd play it safe, and stay here until she gets citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

There is a huge difference in the standard of living between urban and rural areas in Russia and Ukraine. I do not think anyone would deny it (and expect to be taken seriously). While I am sure you will have fun at the party, I am also sure you do not want to live in a dacha year round...which is why it is a dacha. On the other hand, I have no desire to live year round in one of the fishing cabins that are so common here, though some people do.

Alla seems to have lost any huge desire to live in Ukraine for more than a few months per year. OK. I could have but would not want to under the "deal" that most people have to live with there. I do not want to work 6 days per week for $300 per month.

I would sooner live in Ukraine than Germany, though Germany is cleaner (can anyone say OC?)it is crazy expensive! Sorry, you can have that. I much prefer eastern Europe, at least until now, over western Europe. Much more texture and lots cheaper.

But really, to go and say one country is horrible and the other is just wonderful is silly.

FWIW both the boys plan to live in the US and have Ukrainian or Russian wives. Sergey's girlfriend is already getting prepared to live in the US as his wife...we'll see. She considers "preparing to live here" to be acquiring a taste for "American food"...McDonalds and Subway. :lol:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I thought I saw this guy on Ice Road Truckers last season...LOL

:lol:

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

She's under contract here with the hospital and she has her classes on top of that...so nope, she would have had to stay here. For some strange reason she thinks I'm going to screw everything on two legs over there so she went into one of her temper tantrums. That offer is off the table and that's life... :angry:

CH2MHILL specializes in water systems here and in Europe. They bought out VECO a few years back and now they graduated to oil production since then as sub contractors. I worked for them a few years back in 2006 and before that in 2000 - 2001 in Russia (Sakhalin Island).

That's me when I worked for them back in '06. That pic was taken on the Arctic Ocean ...in March or February I'm thinking.

meveco06.jpg

Ah, ok.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr...cold. ^^^^ I'd like to go to visit and see some of the historical sites and museums.

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Timeline

There is a huge difference in the standard of living between urban and rural areas in Russia and Ukraine. I do not think anyone would deny it (and expect to be taken seriously). While I am sure you will have fun at the party, I am also sure you do not want to live in a dacha year round...which is why it is a dacha.

Gary, seriously, I would live outside of the city provided that

1) it takes no longer than 30-40 minutes to get to some big city

2) I have a car to travel to the city on a daily basis (study, work etc.)

It works for both Russia and the USA. I told my fiance that as a city-girl I will never be able to live in the middle of nowhere and I need to breathe this polluted air and hear the city noise from time to time, otherwise I won't survive :lol: That's why I'm really glad that Baltimore and DC are so close to the place where we are going to live.

The biggest problem with rural areas in Russia is unemployment, really. And since I'm not a big fan of gardening and stuff, it's not a good place to live for me ever. Some people do move to the countryside when they retire though and live in their dachas :yes:

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

I thought I saw this guy on Ice Road Truckers last season...LOL

lol....I know of few of those peeps on that show and they ham it up a bit for the camera. Those guys drink like fish when their not on the road.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Aw, Russia's not a shithole. Every country on Earth has areas that are shitholes. Doesn't make the ENTIRE country a shithole. Even with the ####### that I've been through here, I'm genuinely happy... wouldn't go back to the US unless it was truly necessary.

We've even talked about retiring in Russia. There are some properties in St. Petersburg that are going for some bargain basement prices right now, so we're seriously thinking about investing for the long term. We've talked about Kyiv or Dnip too, but Pete tops our list right now.

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Timeline

I am a us born citizen and I have been to cities in both Alaska and Russia. And Alaska is probably the biggest Shi*hole I have ever been to. You could not pay me to live in your shi*hole. And by the way you have probably never been to Russia. Personally would love to live in Russia someday. And seriously who meets their wife on myspace? ROFL

I am a us born citizen and I have been to cities in both Alaska and Russia. And Alaska is probably the biggest Shi*hole I have ever been to. You could not pay me to live in your shi*hole. And by the way you have probably never been to Russia. Personally would love to live in Russia someday. And seriously who meets their wife on myspace? ROFL

Nice try but no cigar. I worked in Russia as did many of us here. And if you have been to Alaska and also to Russia then your post is even a bigger fail.

btw is that mouse in your hair in that pic? I sure hope this is the wife posting and not the husband. What kind of guy puts that ####### in their hair? A chic ya...but a guy?

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

Timeline

btw is that mouse in your hair in that pic? I sure hope this is the wife posting and not the husband. What kind of guy puts that ####### in their hair? A chic ya...but a guy?

LMAO I was just looking at their picture and they almost look like twins to me.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

LMAO I was just looking at their picture and they almost look like twins to me.

well I have been to both Alaska and Russia, certainly not all of both. and I found neither to be a shithole in general though there are probably some shithole places in both. There are some shithole places in Vermont and it is very much smaller than either Alaska or Russiam so the odds are... I do not desire to live in either palce for all my life, but I really enjoyed living in Ukraine and would do it again at least part of the year.

And I think you meant "mousse" Kip. Yeah, only girls use that stuff. Or girly men.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.