rsns

Clarification on Police Clearance Certificate

10 posts in this topic

Filed: H-2B Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi all,

We are still awaiting our NOA2 but in a few weeks my fiancee will be leaving her city of residence for the past few years (Pune) and going to stay with her parents in her hometown; so, we started looking at the Packet 3 instructions to see if she needs to obtain any documents from Pune before she leaves. In the instructions, it says that she would need a "police clearance certificate from the local area passport office." I told this to her and she was confused as to what it meant, because she says that you only get police clearance certificates from the police station (not the passport office). I grew up here in the U.S. and have absolutely no idea what any of this is, heh. Can someone please help explain what it is that she needs and from where she would get it? Thanks!

(Also, we were originally unclear as to whether she would need one of these only from her hometown or both from there and Pune; I asked our immigration lawyer and she said that my fiancee should get one from each place she's lived for more than 6 months.)

Thanks for your help.

Greetings!

You will only need one police certificate and not from every part part of India where she lives. however,if she happen to live outside India for more than six months then she have to havea police certificate from that particular country.

pasted from Country Reciprocity Schedule:

Police Records

Indian Police Clearance Certificates should be obtained as follows:

All Indian IV applicants aged 16 and above, residing in India, should obtain police certificates from the local Passport Office.

Indian passport holders applying for visas outside India should obtain a statement from their local embassy or consulate confirming they have no criminal record.

Non-Indian IV applicants residing in India should obtain police certificates from the District Police Station serving their area of residence.

Indian police certificates are not available for foreign (non-Indian) applicants applying outside India

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi all,

We are still awaiting our NOA2 but in a few weeks my fiancee will be leaving her city of residence for the past few years (Pune) and going to stay with her parents in her hometown; so, we started looking at the Packet 3 instructions to see if she needs to obtain any documents from Pune before she leaves. In the instructions, it says that she would need a "police clearance certificate from the local area passport office." I told this to her and she was confused as to what it meant, because she says that you only get police clearance certificates from the police station (not the passport office). I grew up here in the U.S. and have absolutely no idea what any of this is, heh. Can someone please help explain what it is that she needs and from where she would get it? Thanks!

(Also, we were originally unclear as to whether she would need one of these only from her hometown or both from there and Pune; I asked our immigration lawyer and she said that my fiancee should get one from each place she's lived for more than 6 months.)

Thanks for your help.

Your fiancee should get PCC from passport office, if she received her passport in the last 6 months, if not she should get it from where she is currently reside. One certificate is suffice, unless she lived outside India. Please email me if you have more questions. I am based out of NYC. Most lawyers are a bunch of buffon...no clue...trying to make some fast buck!

Edited by Crazyaboutyou

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You get 2 police clearance from India.

One is police clearnace and second is Passport clearance, passport clearance you will get from passport office.

Police clearance you will get from your local police station and to my exp Mumbai police would not just issue you one if person has resided in other cities or state.

They would want you to have clearance from all the places one has lived, I had shared copy of my PCC on here with some ppl so they can get some idea what they look like.

It seems PCC is a very confusing in India might be good idea to have sticky or something for pcc.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You get 2 police clearance from India.

One is police clearnace and second is Passport clearance, passport clearance you will get from passport office.

Police clearance you will get from your local police station and to my exp Mumbai police would not just issue you one if person has resided in other cities or state.

They would want you to have clearance from all the places one has lived, I had shared copy of my PCC on here with some ppl so they can get some idea what they look like.

It seems PCC is a very confusing in India might be good idea to have sticky or something for pcc.

INCORRECT... here is what it says in the website of US consulate of Mumbai:

POLICE REPORT: Each applicant aged 16 years or older must submit a police certificate that includes information regarding the applicant, including all arrests, the reason for the arrest(s) and the disposition of such cases. The following list explains where applicants must obtain their police certificates.

(A) Indian citizens residing in India: Indian citizens residing in India for six months or more since turning 16 years of age must present Indian police clearance certificates from the local area passport office. This certificate is valid for one year from the date issuance.

(B) Indian citizens currently residing outside of India: If an Indian citizen who has lived in India for at least one year after the age of 16 currently resides outside India, he/she must obtain a certificate issued by the Indian Embassy or Consulate where he/she lives. This certificate is valid for one year from the date of issuance.

© Non-Indian citizens residing in India: Non-Indian immigrant visa applicants residing in India should obtain police certificates from the district police station serving their area of residence. This certificate is valid for one year from the date of issuance.

(D) Indian and Non-Indian citizens who have resided outside of India: Applicants who have resided in any other country for one year or more after the age of 16 may be required to submit police certificates for the other country. Applicants may inquire with our Immigrant Visa Unit regarding police certificates for these countries, by email at: mumbaiiv@state.gov. Applicants may also check the visa reciprocity table at www.travel.state.gov. Please note that U.S. police certificates are not required for applicants who have lived in the United States.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Please answer these questions so we can help you...

How old is your wife's passport?

After the age of 16, where did she live and for how long? List all places that she lived more than 6 months. Cities is what I am talking about...

Let me give you some background. The other responses look all over the place. I found out the hard way...

There are 2 different PCC's.

1. Police Clearance Certificate- This comes from the local authorities. You might need multiples deepening on how long your spouse has been at these locations after the age of 16.

2. Passport Clearance Certificate- Now this comes from the place that issued your wife's passport wherever she got it. The official place where they issue Indian Passports, not the place that helped her file the papers to obtain her passport.

Answer those questions above in further detail that I asked and I can try to help guide you from there.

This link will also help if you want to do some researching/reading on your own... http://www.***removed***....rtificates.html

Edited by Kathryn41

USCIS- (77 Days)
I-130 Sent : 04-05-2011
I-130 NOA1 : 04-08-2011
I-130 NOA2 : 06-24-2011

NVC- (29 Days)
NVC Received : 07-25-2011

NVC Case Closed: 08-23-2011
Medical/VFS/Interview
Interview Date Recieved: 09-02-2011
Medical Completed: 09-16-2011
VFS Fees Paid and Documents Submitted: 10-21-2011
Interview: 11-10-2011

Interview Status: Approved
Visa In Hand: 11-10-2011

USA

P.O.E- Chicago, IL: 12-16-11
Recieved Welcome Letter: 01-03-2012
Received Green Card: 01-19-2012
Re-applied for SSN: 01-23-2012
Received SSN: 01-27-2012

Apply for Removal of Conditions: 09-17-13

ROC- (112 Days)

I-751 Sent (CSC): 11-22-13

Check Cashed: 11-27-13

I-751 NOA1: 11-30-13

Biometrics: 12-23-13
Case Status: Approved
Green Card Issued: 3-14-14

Green Card In Hand: 3-20-14

CITIZENSHIP

Apply For N-400: 1-28-15

Check Cashed: 02-5-15

NOA: 02-11-15

Biometrics: 03-2-15

In Line Interview: 06-10-15

Interview: 07-20-15

Oath Ceremony: 08-20-15

Filed: H-2B Visa Country: India
Timeline

Please answer these questions so we can help you...

How old is your wife's passport?

After the age of 16, where did she live and for how long? List all places that she lived more than 6 months. Cities is what I am talking about...

Let me give you some background. The other responses look all over the place. I found out the hard way...

There are 2 different PCC's.

1. Police Clearance Certificate- This comes from the local authorities. You might need multiples deepening on how long your spouse has been at these locations after the age of 16.

2. Passport Clearance Certificate- Now this comes from the place that issued your wife's passport wherever she got it. The official place where they issue Indian Passports, not the place that helped her file the papers to obtain her passport.

Answer those questions above in further detail that I asked and I can try to help guide you from there.

This link will also help if you want to do some researching/reading on your own... http://www.***removed***....rtificates.html

Hey!

Thanks so much for offering to help. To answer your questions:

1) My fiancee got her passport around August of 2010, from her hometown of Aurangabad (although she was living in Pune at the time).

2) Between the ages of 16 - 18, she lived in Aurangabad; between the ages of 18 until present, she has lived in Pune (except for maybe 6 months when she was around 19 when she was in Aurangabad).

Thanks for the web site. I just read through it and if I'm understanding correctly, it seems like my fiancee should get a PCC from the local police station in Pune, and one from the passport office in Aurangabad from where she originally got her passport. Would you agree?

Thanks so much.

Edited by Kathryn41

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hey!

1) My fiancee got her passport around August of 2010, from her hometown of Aurangabad (although she was living in Pune at the time).

2) Between the ages of 16 - 18, she lived in Aurangabad; between the ages of 18 until present, she has lived in Pune (except for maybe 6 months when she was around 19 when she was in Aurangabad).

Thanks for the web site. I just read through it and if I'm understanding correctly, it seems like my fiancee should get a PCC from the local police station in Pune, and one from the passport office in Aurangabad from where she originally got her passport. Would you agree?

Thanks so much.

Yep, looks good to me.

USCIS- (77 Days)
I-130 Sent : 04-05-2011
I-130 NOA1 : 04-08-2011
I-130 NOA2 : 06-24-2011

NVC- (29 Days)
NVC Received : 07-25-2011

NVC Case Closed: 08-23-2011
Medical/VFS/Interview
Interview Date Recieved: 09-02-2011
Medical Completed: 09-16-2011
VFS Fees Paid and Documents Submitted: 10-21-2011
Interview: 11-10-2011

Visa In Hand: 11-10-2011

USA

P.O.E- Chicago, IL: 12-16-11
Recieved Welcome Letter: 01-03-2012
Received Green Card: 01-19-2012
Re-applied for SSN: 01-23-2012
Received SSN: 01-27-2012

Apply for Removal of Conditions: 09-17-13

ROC- (112 Days)

I-751 Sent (CSC): 11-22-13

Check Cashed: 11-27-13

I-751 NOA1: 11-30-13

Biometrics: 12-23-13
Case Status: Approved
Green Card Issued: 3-14-14

Green Card In Hand: 3-20-14

CITIZENSHIP

Apply For N-400: 1-28-15

Check Cashed: 02-5-15

NOA: 02-11-15

Biometrics: 03-2-15

In Line Interview: 06-10-15

Interview: 07-20-15

Oath Ceremony: 08-20-15

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

INCORRECT... here is what it says in the website of US consulate of Mumbai:

POLICE REPORT: Each applicant aged 16 years or older must submit a police certificate that includes information regarding the applicant, including all arrests, the reason for the arrest(s) and the disposition of such cases. The following list explains where applicants must obtain their police certificates.

(A) Indian citizens residing in India: Indian citizens residing in India for six months or more since turning 16 years of age must present Indian police clearance certificates from the local area passport office. This certificate is valid for one year from the date issuance.

(B) Indian citizens currently residing outside of India: If an Indian citizen who has lived in India for at least one year after the age of 16 currently resides outside India, he/she must obtain a certificate issued by the Indian Embassy or Consulate where he/she lives. This certificate is valid for one year from the date of issuance.

© Non-Indian citizens residing in India: Non-Indian immigrant visa applicants residing in India should obtain police certificates from the district police station serving their area of residence. This certificate is valid for one year from the date of issuance.

(D) Indian and Non-Indian citizens who have resided outside of India: Applicants who have resided in any other country for one year or more after the age of 16 may be required to submit police certificates for the other country. Applicants may inquire with our Immigrant Visa Unit regarding police certificates for these countries, by email at: mumbaiiv@state.gov. Applicants may also check the visa reciprocity table at www.travel.state.gov. Please note that U.S. police certificates are not required for applicants who have lived in the United States.

Dude that is true for your police clearance certificate, what about your passport clearance certificate????

I said 2 police clearance coz your passport clearance goes thru police too.

Atleast for Mumbai they go thru passport office waits until it get clearance from police before issuing you the passport clearance.

Hey!

Thanks so much.

Yep thats correct, if you wanna see what they look like then email me and I will share copy of both certificate what they look like.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.