3,588 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

otterisme here is the provision that ALL SOCIAL SERVICES must follow regarding public benefits.Ask them to follow the US DEPARTAMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES- Section 431 of the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (the ``Act''), as amended by section 501 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (the ``Immigration Act'') and sections 5571-72 and 5581 of the Balanced Budget Act of 1997 (``the Budget Act'').Copy this and give to them and let them search,lol

These provisions says "certain categories of aliens who have been subjected to battery or extreme cruelty in the United States by a family member with whom they resided are ``qualified aliens'' eligible for public benefits under the Act. An alien whose child or an alien child whose parent has been abused is also a ``qualified alien.'' Additionally, section 421 of the Act, as amended by section 552 of the Immigration Act and section 5571 of the Budget Act, exempts this group of battered aliens from the Act's new deeming requirements for a period of one year, and for longer if the battery or cruelty has been recognized in an order of a judicial officer or an administrative law judge or in an Immigration and Naturalization Service (``INS'') determination".

love me yes I an an attorney

Edited by sandranj

Filed: Other Country: Barbados
Timeline

What state are u in?? I'm in Fl and i tried and could not get anything. They said that i have to have a social and denied my case twice .they know nothing about vawa even after a showed them my paper works it made no difference .. i have no ead and trust me anything would help now ... Thank God for those who are in good health and have EAD and a Job .. i guess too bad for people like myself

well said ... what are the steps to getting assistance. They keep turning me down i'm in fl

Am in ny, ask to speak to a supervisor doo your research print out from uscis wat benefits is required with a prima facie and bring it when u go bk to apply and make sure to see a supervisor dont leave till u do. Hope it works out let us know

otterisme here is the provision that ALL SOCIAL SERVICES must follow regarding public benefits.Ask them to follow the US DEPARTAMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES- Section 431 of the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (the ``Act''), as amended by section 501 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (the ``Immigration Act'') and sections 5571-72 and 5581 of the Balanced Budget Act of 1997 (``the Budget Act'').Copy this and give to them and let them search,lol

These provisions says "certain categories of aliens who have been subjected to battery or extreme cruelty in the United States by a family member with whom they resided are ``qualified aliens'' eligible for public benefits under the Act. An alien whose child or an alien child whose parent has been abused is also a ``qualified alien.'' Additionally, section 421 of the Act, as amended by section 552 of the Immigration Act and section 5571 of the Budget Act, exempts this group of battered aliens from the Act's new deeming requirements for a period of one year, and for longer if the battery or cruelty has been recognized in an order of a judicial officer or an administrative law judge or in an Immigration and Naturalization Service (``INS'') determination".

love me yes I an an attorney

hello, do you know anything about the new VAWA law? will it affect previous approvals?

thanks in advance

Timeline

Virginia 81 the White house is promising a veto to the House Bill. There are some changes in the new bill for example removes protections for native Americans and for gays/lesbians, if the person has another legal case pending( child custody,restraining order against the person, any other legal case pending in Court with the House bill the immigration must to put VAWA petitions on hold until all legal cases pending are settled, and forcing immigrants to tell the abuser where they are and a few more changes, but I am confident that the White House will veto. It won't affect previous approvals tho.

I haven't tried anything yet. I'm just playing the waiting game for now. I see on this forum that other members have waited longer than me, so I guess it's OK to wait for some more time. I'll try to be patient and give them a couple more months before I do anything. What do you think? Do you have any suggestions?

CRAZY I KNOW RIGHT!! UGH ... I KNOW I'LL BE WAITING MUCH LONGER THAN U. :( THIS IS DEPRESSING ... WHAT DID U TRY LIKE REACHING OUT TO THEM OR WHAT?

Feb 18th 2011 - filed I360, I485 and I765

Feb 21st - receipt notice received

Feb 27th - prima facie received

March 18th - letter for biometrics appointment for April 15th

April 15th - biometrics appointment done

May 15th - EAD approved

May 20th - received EAD card

Sept 23rd - RFE received

Dec 14th - RFE response send

Feb 17th 2012 - filed for EAD renewal

Feb 23rd - received an email from USCIS: I360 APPROVED!!!

Feb 23rd - transferred my case to NBC

Feb 24th - receipt notice for EAD renewal

March 7th - RFE issued for EAD

March 13th - RFE response send

March 29th - EAD renewal approved

April 10th - received EAD card

Sandranj,

As you can see from my timeline, I applied for VAWA in Feb 2011 and got approved in Feb 2012. I'm not waiting for the green card interview. It's been 3 months since my VAWA has been approved. And I haven't heard anything yet with respect to my green card interview. I'm planning on waiting for additional 2-3 months before I reach out to USCIS to followup. Please let me know if you think otherwise or have any other suggestions.

Hope this helps.

Hopeful i didn't understand you well, what are you waiting for? To submit the Vawa or to receive the green card? .I saw some cases it took 2 years since the Vawa to the Green card. You have just to hold on a bit more.

May 15th - EAD approved

Sept 23rd - RFE received

Virginia 81 the White house is promising a veto to the House Bill. There are some changes in the new bill for example removes protections for native Americans and for gays/lesbians, if the person has another legal case pending( child custody,restraining order against the person, any other legal case pending in Court with the House bill the immigration must to put VAWA petitions on hold until all legal cases pending are settled, and forcing immigrants to tell the abuser where they are and a few more changes, but I am confident that the White House will veto. It won't affect previous approvals tho.

thanks Sandranj for your answer.

Timeline

Hopeful sorry I didn't see your timeline before.I was in the Court and I saw your previous message using my cellphone, I can't open all pages from my cellphone, then I had no idea about your case,lol. It depends on the local office, but it may take 2-5 months.

Sandranj,

No worries :) Thanks for your response. BTW, I'm in NJ. Do you know how long the local office in NJ would take to schedule my greencard interview?

Thanks!

Hopeful sorry I didn't see your timeline before.I was in the Court and I saw your previous message using my cellphone, I can't open all pages from my cellphone, then I had no idea about your case,lol. It depends on the local office, but it may take 2-5 months.

May 15th - EAD approved

Sept 23rd - RFE received

Filed: Timeline

HI, Sandranj! how are you? I read some of your posts on the website and they are very helpful.

I applied for Vawa and received my Prima Facie. I know that Im eligible for some public benefits. I applied for food stamps and health insurance a few weeks ago but I havent heard from them yet. I talked to one of my friends yesterday and she told me that getting public benefits (even if I have Prima Facie) will most likely hurt me in the long run as I might be viewed as a public charge or something like that. So my question is: how will getting public benefits influence my Vawa case and my green card case? (My green card case was put on hold until vawa is approved). I dont know what to do now.. should I try to cancel that application for public benefits? or is it ok? Im so worried about it... I would really appreciate your help, thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.