3,588 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi guys I just want to share with you guys my vawa processing:

Oct. 2011 -Vawa aprroved

Nov. 2011 -filed for my ead and greencard

feb 1st week of 2011 - I received my Ead

April 14, 2011 received a letter for my greencard interview for may 11, 2012

May 11, 2012- Greencard Interview

Interview went well and was approved.It took them 6 months to schedule for my interview.

Try to ask your lawyer to call INS , it may help.Thats what I did , I called my lawyer and told him that

why I don't have my sched for my interview,after I talked to the lawyer the next week I receive my sched.Hope this will help

Goodluck everyone..Godbless

Filed: Country: Dominican Republic
Timeline

Hi everyone one more question .. Case.. I 360 filed 03/25/11, Notice of received I 797 one RFE good moral Caracter 05/06/12 .. Trying to hire an attorney, she says that I could send I 485 and I 765 .. What should I do? She says married to USA citizen send them all 3 together no just I 360 .. Please help .. Need your help ..

Filed: Timeline

Hi guys I just want to share with you guys my vawa processing:

Oct. 2011 -Vawa aprroved

Nov. 2011 -filed for my ead and greencard

feb 1st week of 2011 - I received my Ead

April 14, 2011 received a letter for my greencard interview for may 11, 2012

May 11, 2012- Greencard Interview

Interview went well and was approved.It took them 6 months to schedule for my interview.

Try to ask your lawyer to call INS , it may help.Thats what I did , I called my lawyer and told him that

why I don't have my sched for my interview,after I talked to the lawyer the next week I receive my sched.Hope this will help

Goodluck everyone..Godbless

Thank u for sharing :)

Hi everyone one more question .. Case.. I 360 filed 03/25/11, Notice of received I 797 one RFE good moral Caracter 05/06/12 .. Trying to hire an attorney, she says that I could send I 485 and I 765 .. What should I do? She says married to USA citizen send them all 3 together no just I 360 .. Please help .. Need your help ..

Hi Sissi!

Ok on my case I went to a couple lawyers before I decided what to do...I sent all together I360 PLUS I485 AND EAD. The thing is from what these lawyers told mE: They say if you send everything together it could be risky because they can deny your I485 and than its the whole thing about going to court and convincing the jusge about ur case. But its deft faster than sending your I360. I did it because I am tired of waiting for everything... and you can deft send it now...I heard lots of cases that sent the i360 first and than I485 before vawa approved. And if she suggested you that its because she is confident on your case =) I hope that i helped...

Thank you everybody for your support. I'm hoping won't be much longer. But gotta keep going forward right?

I asked my attorney said he will go to USCIS and talk to IO if nothin comes by the end of the month.

Hi Sissi!

Ok on my case I went to a couple lawyers before I decided what to do...I sent all together I360 PLUS I485 AND EAD. The thing is from what these lawyers told mE: They say if you send everything together it could be risky because they can deny your I485 and than its the whole thing about going to court and convincing the jusge about ur case. But its deft faster than sending your I360. I did it because I am tired of waiting for everything... and you can deft send it now...I heard lots of cases that sent the i360 first and than I485 before vawa approved. And if she suggested you that its because she is confident on your case =) I hope that i helped...

I still visit this forum and just checking on each one of you and how far you doing with your cases.I must say that this year begun on a slow note more especially when it comes to scheduling interviews after VAWA approval .Last year things where moving so fast .I remember I filed for vawa january 2011 and by August was approved ,4 weeks later received a letter for interview and a month later went for interview by October had GC in mail.I think USCIS are back loaded with a lot of cases even the processing times arent making sence.At one point they were processing cases for May 2011 and its like they have gone backwards .I know the waiting sucks ,but hang in there ,they say its darkest before dawn ,I pray for each one of you and wishing all the best.

Edited by ladyg

Hi everybody,

I received a prima facie determination two days ago after two weeks of sending my application to VSC. I tried to use the prima facie to apply for cash assistance and food stamps but the DTA (Department of Transitional Assistance) denied my request telling me that they don't know what a prima facie is or even what VAWA is. I went to 3 DTA centers and they all gave me the same answer : we don't know what you're talking about and you're not eligible because you don't have children nor a disability. I don't understand and I'm frustrated. I live in Boston, MA so I was wondering if anyone here had applied for public benefits in massachusetts, please help me and let me know how you did it.

Filed: Other Country: Barbados
Timeline

Hi everybody,

I received a prima facie determination two days ago after two weeks of sending my application to VSC. I tried to use the prima facie to apply for cash assistance and food stamps but the DTA (Department of Transitional Assistance) denied my request telling me that they don't know what a prima facie is or even what VAWA is. I went to 3 DTA centers and they all gave me the same answer : we don't know what you're talking about and you're not eligible because you don't have children nor a disability. I don't understand and I'm frustrated. I live in Boston, MA so I was wondering if anyone here had applied for public benefits in massachusetts, please help me and let me know how you did it.

Is DTA the public assistance/welfare office. You need to go to welfare office am guessing that wat it's called in Boston. You dont need to have a child wat are they talkin about many agencies don't know about a prima facie you have to be very aggressive for them to do the work. I suggest you call 311 I would think there is such a thing in Boston and ask the where is your local office near you to apply for welfare/public assistance. Hope that helps

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Is DTA the public assistance/welfare office. You need to go to welfare office am guessing that wat it's called in Boston. You dont need to have a child wat are they talkin about many agencies don't know about a prima facie you have to be very aggressive for them to do the work. I suggest you call 311 I would think there is such a thing in Boston and ask the where is your local office near you to apply for welfare/public assistance. Hope that helps

Just a advice... my lawyer told me that we should not take benefice like "cash" cause they may denied your I485. So, talk to your lawyer before anything.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Gizq I heard the same thing about cash..They say that is not good when we apply for AOS but how food stamp and Medicaid, housing and help to go college.. ?? Ssisi

I don't know, i was told from my lawyer...

hello everyone,

i filed my Adjustment of status on Nov. 14th 2011, based on an approved VAWA.

so far, i have only received an employment authorization, no interview notice. in december, my case was transferred in december from Vermont Service center to Missouri.

does anybody have an idea of how long this process takes? I looked on the USCIS website and did not see processing time for AOS based on VAWA.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

GIZQ your lawyer is DAMN WRONG!!!! Victims of violence domestic are entitled to receive PUBLIC BENEFITS.I just got a phone call less than 10 minutes ago from one of my friends and she had her deportation hearing today. The immigration Judge approved her Vawa and just told her to apply for public benefits.All Vawa cases that I submitted those women received cash assistance and ALL of them got their green card, and two of them became US Citizen in 2012.Please ask your lawyer to read more about Vawa and give this link to him/her

Read page 3

"Receiving public benefits will not prevent a VAWA self-petitioner from obtaining lawful

permanent resident status. DHS cannot consider any public benefits received by battered

immigrants after August 22, 1996, in determining whether an individual will become a public

charge.4 This means that they will not decide a battered immigrant woman will be a burden to

society (which can cause DHS to deny lawful permanent resident status) based on the fact that

she has received public benefits).

http://www.legalmomentum.org/assets/pdfs/publicbenefitbatteredwomen.pdf

Edited by sandranj

Filed: Other Country: Barbados
Timeline

GIZQ your lawyer is DAMN WRONG!!!! Victims of violence domestic are entitled to receive PUBLIC BENEFITS.I just got a phone call less than 10 minutes ago from one of my friends and she had her deportation hearing today. The immigration Judge approved her Vawa and just told her to apply for public benefits.All Vawa cases that I submitted those women received cash assistance and ALL of them got their green card, and two of them became US Citizen in 2012.Please ask your lawyer to read more about Vawa and give this link to him/her

Read page 3

"Receiving public benefits will not prevent a VAWA self-petitioner from obtaining lawful

permanent resident status. DHS cannot consider any public benefits received by battered

immigrants after August 22, 1996, in determining whether an individual will become a public

charge.4 This means that they will not decide a battered immigrant woman will be a burden to

society (which can cause DHS to deny lawful permanent resident status) based on the fact that

she has received public benefits).

http://www.legalmomentum.org/assets/pdfs/publicbenefitbatteredwomen.pdf

Exactly why would uscis give you a prima facie to receive public benefits then deny your case because you receiving it makes absolutely no sense.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.