3,588 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

well i don't know what kind of benefits you're able to get cause i could not even get food stamps

GIZQ your lawyer is DAMN WRONG!!!! Victims of violence domestic are entitled to receive PUBLIC BENEFITS.I just got a phone call less than 10 minutes ago from one of my friends and she had her deportation hearing today. The immigration Judge approved her Vawa and just told her to apply for public benefits.All Vawa cases that I submitted those women received cash assistance and ALL of them got their green card, and two of them became US Citizen in 2012.Please ask your lawyer to read more about Vawa and give this link to him/her

Read page 3

"Receiving public benefits will not prevent a VAWA self-petitioner from obtaining lawful

permanent resident status. DHS cannot consider any public benefits received by battered

immigrants after August 22, 1996, in determining whether an individual will become a public

charge.4 This means that they will not decide a battered immigrant woman will be a burden to

society (which can cause DHS to deny lawful permanent resident status) based on the fact that

she has received public benefits).

http://www.legalmomentum.org/assets/pdfs/publicbenefitbatteredwomen.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

GIZQ your lawyer is DAMN WRONG!!!! Victims of violence domestic are entitled to receive PUBLIC BENEFITS.I just got a phone call less than 10 minutes ago from one of my friends and she had her deportation hearing today. The immigration Judge approved her Vawa and just told her to apply for public benefits.All Vawa cases that I submitted those women received cash assistance and ALL of them got their green card, and two of them became US Citizen in 2012.Please ask your lawyer to read more about Vawa and give this link to him/her

Read page 3

"Receiving public benefits will not prevent a VAWA self-petitioner from obtaining lawful

permanent resident status. DHS cannot consider any public benefits received by battered

immigrants after August 22, 1996, in determining whether an individual will become a public

charge.4 This means that they will not decide a battered immigrant woman will be a burden to

society (which can cause DHS to deny lawful permanent resident status) based on the fact that

she has received public benefits).

http://www.legalmomentum.org/assets/pdfs/publicbenefitbatteredwomen.pdf

Well, i really trust my lawyer... i will do whatever she said. Like i said its just a "advice"... Any ways, im not after public benefits, i have my ead and my health is in very good condicion... i don't need it.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

my vawa was file in august 2011 and i was approved in dec 2011 and my case was transfer on deec 31 since then no letter of interview what is the latest processing time am soooooooooooooooooooooo tired of waiting i need to see my kid it been 12 years of pain and suffering

my vawa was file in august 2011 and i was approved in dec 2011 and my case was transfer on deec 31 since then no letter of interview what is the latest processing time am soooooooooooooooooooooo tired of waiting i need to see my kid it been 12 years of pain and suffering

you got approved in 4months? WOW ... anyways interviews seems to be taking forever ugh .. it's sad that after u get approved there's still this long #### wait again ... after all we've been through we should be priority to get an interview!!

Filed: Other Country: Barbados
Timeline

well i don't know what kind of benefits you're able to get cause i could not even get food stamps

When I got my first prima facie I went to apply for food stamps and medical separate they took 3 months to give a response. They told me with a prima facie you can't apply for the benefits one without the other you must apply for all three together which makes it public assistance in my state i didnt want all three so i just applied directly with medicaid for health insurance. In normal cases you can apply one without the other. And for people who say they have ead and can work so they don't need it there are many people with a prima facie that don't have an ead and can't work so a prima facie is perfect for those people because they would be able to buy and get basic stuff like food and medical.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am glad some girls here don't need to apply for public benefits, but thank God prima facie exists to help those in need! Being physically healthy there is nothing to do with being capable to work.I met several battered spouse physically healthy, but mentally destroyed and for a while incapable to work, women who their husbands were charged with attempt murder,women who their kids were sexual molested, women who needed surgery due the violence suffered,women who were raped by their husbands, and some of them that just left because couldn't take the violence anymore and others didn't receive the EAD yet. Some States look hard to get public benefits,but once you know the Law you should fight to get the benefits if you are in need. But please watch out for Lawyers who make promises and don't even know the basics things regarding Immigration Law.

When I got my first prima facie I went to apply for food stamps and medical separate they took 3 months to give a response. They told me with a prima facie you can't apply for the benefits one without the other you must apply for all three together which makes it public assistance in my state i didnt want all three so i just applied directly with medicaid for health insurance. In normal cases you can apply one without the other. And for people who say they have ead and can work so they don't need it there are many people with a prima facie that don't have an ead and can't work so a prima facie is perfect for those people because they would be able to buy and get basic stuff like food and medical.

What state are u in?? I'm in Fl and i tried and could not get anything. They said that i have to have a social and denied my case twice .they know nothing about vawa even after a showed them my paper works it made no difference .. i have no ead and trust me anything would help now ... Thank God for those who are in good health and have EAD and a Job .. i guess too bad for people like myself

I am glad some girls here don't need to apply for public benefits, but thank God prima facie exists to help those in need! Being physically healthy there is nothing to do with being capable to work.I met several battered spouse physically healthy, but mentally destroyed and for a while incapable to work, women who their husbands were charged with attempt murder,women who their kids were sexual molested, women who needed surgery due the violence suffered,women who were raped by their husbands, and some of them that just left because couldn't take the violence anymore and others didn't receive the EAD yet. Some States look hard to get public benefits,but once you know the Law you should fight to get the benefits if you are in need. But please watch out for Lawyers who make promises and don't even know the basics things regarding Immigration Law.

well said ... what are the steps to getting assistance. They keep turning me down i'm in fl

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Most of the Vawa I submitted were in California and some in New Jersey, and the girls got cash assistance ( between $1200 to $1400 montly)plus medicaid and food stamp, but I heard people in Boston having a hard time to get the public benefits as well,they never heard about prima facie. YOU have to go to the social service in your area and apply there, but if you are having problems to get the benefits I recommend you look for some organization who helps victim of domestic violence and probably they will be able to help you with that. What's the meaning to approve a prima facie if you can't get public benefits? Some employers in those agencies are not doing a good job,but prima facie is to obtain public benefits,period.

Edited by sandranj

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I never received prima facie and when I check over my case I could see why getting approve was the most important thing a word to other VAWA applicants I know some ppl get prima facie when u first filed but if u have an EAD card don't bother renew it save it for the ones who can't work . Good luck to all waiting on approvals and interview notices .

You bet! It's been 3 months since my VAWA has been approved and I'm still waiting for my interview notice......ahhh...what a torture?! :bonk::bonk::bonk:

I never received prima facie and when I check over my case I could see why getting approve was the most important thing a word to other VAWA applicants I know some ppl get prima facie when u first filed but if u have an EAD card don't bother renew it save it for the ones who can't work . Good luck to all waiting on approvals and interview notices .

Feb 18th 2011 - filed I360, I485 and I765

Feb 21st - receipt notice received

Feb 27th - prima facie received

March 18th - letter for biometrics appointment for April 15th

April 15th - biometrics appointment done

May 15th - EAD approved

May 20th - received EAD card

Sept 23rd - RFE received

Dec 14th - RFE response send

Feb 17th 2012 - filed for EAD renewal

Feb 23rd - received an email from USCIS: I360 APPROVED!!!

Feb 23rd - transferred my case to NBC

Feb 24th - receipt notice for EAD renewal

March 7th - RFE issued for EAD

March 13th - RFE response send

March 29th - EAD renewal approved

April 10th - received EAD card

You bet! It's been 3 months since my VAWA has been approved and I'm still waiting for my interview notice......ahhh...what a torture?! :bonk::bonk::bonk:

CRAZY I KNOW RIGHT!! UGH ... I KNOW I'LL BE WAITING MUCH LONGER THAN U. :( THIS IS DEPRESSING ... WHAT DID U TRY LIKE REACHING OUT TO THEM OR WHAT?

Most of the Vawa I submitted were in California and some in New Jersey, and the girls got cash assistance ( between $1200 to $1400 montly)plus medicaid and food stamp, but I heard people in Boston having a hard time to get the public benefits as well,they never heard about prima facie. YOU have to go to the social service in your area and apply there, but if you are having problems to get the benefits I recommend you look for some organization who helps victim of domestic violence and probably they will be able to help you with that. What's the meaning to approve a prima facie if you can't get public benefits? Some employers in those agencies are not doing a good job,but prima facie is to obtain public benefits,period.

Thank you .. im telling you some people have it VERY hard. i could hardly fine the money to pay for my medical and i'm in dept way over my head !! I will try again and see how far i get this time around

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

God $1200 monthly is a lot of money! She has kids? I live in New York Queens borough, also got a prima facie now. Can you also tell me where should I go to apply for all of this?

Thank's a lot!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.