USColombia

Colombia Club Part III

443 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Well we made it through the POE in the tight timeline we had set.. The only real issue we had was in Medellin. If flown from there enough now that I feel comfortable saying they are the slowest airport at every step as far as processing customers. I arrive nearly three hours early and still they they had to hold the plane for us. I did take 25 minutes for lunch bu other than that it was two hours of standing in various lines: the outgoing visitors tax line, the LONG lines for sprint with two whole people to help, the worlds slowest security checkpoint, an additional customs checkpoint, and then one for post-security check before yet another airline-specific security check.. I always leave Medellin shaking my head at how bad it is.. My wife on the other hand thinks this is just normal for airports was shaking her head at the frenzied activity at FLL and LAS airports.

Anyway here is the POE review I posted for FLL:

We did the POE at FLL coming in from Sprint airlines on a Friday at 6:00pm. We only had a 90 minute layover and the plane was 15 minutes late getting in putting the window at one hour 15 minutes.

FLL is different that most POEs because it was not designed to be an international airport.. You go through immigration, then get your bags from claims, then have them scanned at a security check-point, then you have to take them back to the airline desk for re-check-in, then go through airport security to get to your terminal.

We were the first off the plane and did the five minute walk to get to customs/immigration. The airport is set up for very long lines so we snaked our way through the visitors (no problems withe the USC using the visitor lines) queue setup and were the only ones in line when we finally made it through the queue ropes.

There were other people at each of the other visitor sections being helped but as the USC queue was longer none of the other USCs snaking through the queue had made it to the start of the line yet.. One of the men in the USC booths motioned for us to come over and I said "She is a first time entry resident" and he said "no problem" so we went over to him. A very friendly guy, he asked her if she spoke english to which she replied "no" and he switched to spanish.. he scanned he prints and took a close up picture of both eyes. He processed both of our information (stamped my passport) and then said "OK, lets get this processed, follow me" and he took us back to a room with about a dozen other people..

We were in the room for less then five minutes when another guy came in and asked her to sign two papers (or one paper in two places, I don't remember) and then he left and after about another 2-3 minutes he brought her passport out with the visa stamp. He said it was good for one year but that we should receive a card well before that (though he said it would take several months). He then said "good luck, you're done".

We then left for the baggage claim area. We had gone through the process so fast that the bags had not yet started to come out for our flight.. When they finally did we had to get them scanned which meant another line. We handed the guy our paperwork and he said "ah! a CR-1.. fun day for you!" we laughed and he said to go to line A as it was faster and that she did no need to go through the B line for visitors... this took only a few minutes.

Next we had to take our bags back to the Sprint check-in desk. There was no line and check-in was only a minute or two but the walk to the check-in desk and then back took another five minutes or so...

Next is security to get back into the terminal area.. There were quite a few people and it took about 15 minutes to get through.. They are fast but nothing you can do when everyone arrives in bunches...

With that we made a bathroom pit-stop and then found our terminal. Our plane was already boarding so we got in line and were off and back in the air in another 20 minutes.

A somewhat monotonous process but it is nice to go through immigration before getting your bags and each step went quick and everyone we dealt with was very friendly and positive.

there were no questions askede at the POE. I think they are mostly concerned that the person has someplace to go after the airport and since I was with her that negated that concern.

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

What all does she need to bring for POE? and/or recommendations...

1) passport with visa

2) the envelope with the ripped corner that came with the passport/visa from the Embassy via DHL

3) the X-ray

4) Perhaps a few certified copies of birth certificate translated into English ***

5) University transcripts ***

6) Vaccination records***

Can anyone think of anything else she needs to have at POE, or is 1,2, and 3 above all she needs?

Can anyone think of anything else she needs to bring for future part of this USCIS process or for work related in the future, or is 4,5, and 6 above all she needs?

I leave Friday to go pick up my gal. Yay!!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-27

Timeline

My wife just needed #1 and #2 .. the x-ray was not asked for so we just threw it in the garbage as soon as we made it through immigration.

Timeline

Congrats "onmywayID", glad to see it worked out. Ours is coming up!

Service Center :California Service Center

Consulate: Bogota, Colombia

Marriage: 2010-07-21

I-130 Sent: 2010-10-02

I-130 NOA1: 2010-10-10

I-130 Approved: 2010-11-22

NVC Received Payments: 06-23-2011

NVC Rejected Packet Due to Errors: 06-30-2011

NVC Packet Resent: 2011-09-01

NVC Received: 2011-09-19

Case Completed: 2011-09-21

5 Day trip to see my wife...chevere!: 10/27/2011

Trip Ends, sad goodbye 11/2/2011

Interview Date Appointed 11/2/2011

Medical Exam 12/15/2011

Interview Date 12/22/2011

(Approved!)

Wife comes home 01/19/12

Nov. 22nd 2010...Thus began the immigration nightmare...AGAIN

Timeline

Just picked up passport today at the DHL in Salitre Plaza, everything is good, took 3 days after interview. The American holidays dont apply, so we were lucky that the visa was given to DHL yesterday.

Next step - POE at Washington Dulles Intl tomorrow

Thanks to all again!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello all, just received the email from the embassy that they have our application, with instructions to schedule online. My question is how many days prior should we schedule the medical? I thought i read somewhere that two days is best. Is that still good? And if anyone has recently scheduled online, that has any tips please feel free to share them.

Thanks,

Timeline

two days is ideal, just in case anything goes wrong. You can go to your medical right now if you wanted to but it's not necessary.

IR-1

Married: 12/29/2008

USCIS CSC

I-130 Sent : 11/05/2010

I-130 NOA1 :11/19/2010

I-130 NOA2 :05/20/2011

182 days - No RFE's

NVC

Received : 06/08/2011

DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 06/08/2011

Receive I-864 Package : 06/10/2011

Completed DS-3032 : 06/11/2011 (NVC received 06/16/2011)

Pay I-864 Bill : 06/23/2011

Pay IV Bill : 07/22/2011

Return Completed I-864 & IV : 07/25/2011

NVC received: 07/27/2011

NVC RFE: 08/09/11

NVC RFE sent/NVC Received: 08/10/2011--08/12/2011

False RFE for IV: 08/10/11

False RFE for previous RFE: 08/11/11 & 08/14/2011

NVC Reviewed IV: 08/11/2011

SIF and Case Complete : 08/19/2011

Interview Date Set: 09/30/2011

EMBASSY

Medical: 11/11/2011

Interview: 11/16/2011 *APPROVED*

Visa Received: 11/21/11 (arrived on 3rd business day)

POE: 12/02/2011

Welcome Letter & SSN Arrived: 12/12/11

2nd Welcome Letter & 10-year GC Arrived: 12/17/11

-Happily Ever After-

Timeline

Hey guys just got back from my interview today at 8 AM, pretty stright forward, at the first window they got all the paperwork togeher, we were told to sit and wait for then to call our name. 20 minutes later they called my wife to window 2 and they asked how we met, when was the last time we seen each other last and what year I went to the US. After that he said youre approved and we were out the door by 9 am. Thanks to everyone on here providing great info!

Timeline

Congratulations.

Bogota is requiring my fiance have a 2nd interview for the i-212 waiver Tuesday. We expected to file in the US, and they want us to file there. This has caused a delay in plans since all the documents were here. I hope the decision comes fast!

Timeline

Why do you need a I-212 waiver for?

Medical Exam 12/15/2011

(Approved!)

Wife comes home 01/19/12

Timeline

Why do you need a I-212 waiver for?

My fiancee had been to the US a couple of times. Last year she tried to come back to visit around Christmas and some hot shot from the CBP (I heard him over the phone, he had a BAD attitude) rejected her at the border and sent her back instead of letting her voluntarily leave. Without getting into the details he was unfair, and it was unfair and without basis.... I talked to 5 lawyers and all agree that the way she was treated and handled is against national and international law, but nothing we can do about it.

The lawyer says she should have no problem getting the I-212, but I keep it in my prayers!

Timeline

My fiancee had been to the US a couple of times. Last year she tried to come back to visit around Christmas and some hot shot from the CBP (I heard him over the phone, he had a BAD attitude) rejected her at the border and sent her back instead of letting her voluntarily leave. Without getting into the details he was unfair, and it was unfair and without basis.... I talked to 5 lawyers and all agree that the way she was treated and handled is against national and international law, but nothing we can do about it.

The lawyer says she should have no problem getting the I-212, but I keep it in my prayers!

Yeah that seems real unfair, good luck with that.

Medical Exam 12/15/2011

(Approved!)

Wife comes home 01/19/12

Timeline

That is only two business days.. The interview is on Thursday.. if DHL takes receipt 2 business days later that would be Monday.. possibly in the late afternoon (as was the case with mine) possible but if I was putting money down I would be betting against you.

Well you were definitley right, the passport didnt make it by monday but it got there today, either way we left a notarized letter for her cousin to pick it up for her and then she will meet with us in bogota on our way to NY to pick it up before our flight.

Timeline

Well you were definitley right, the passport didnt make it by monday but it got there today, either way we left a notarized letter for her cousin to pick it up for her and then she will meet with us in bogota on our way to NY to pick it up before our flight.

Sorry it did not work out.. That was a seriously tight deadline! Looks like in the end it will not cause you too much trouble. Good luck on the journey home. The POE was pretty painless....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.