USColombia

Colombia Club Part III

443 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Just got back from Colombia. My fiance's visa was approved on Wednesday. They didn't ask for my fiance's nor my DAS certificate. Nor did they ask for any other proof of relationship. We didn't get there until about 7:05am and were out by 9:15am... I think we were the first K-1 visa couple called to the second window. We were extremely well organized and prepared, thanks to Visa Journey.

The consul at the 2nd window was extremely friendly. As for the first line where you turn all your stuff in, there were three windows... from what I witnessed and from what I have read from reading other people's reviews the last 2 days. There is one window you don't want to go to. On our day, it was the window closest to the line you came from. I.e. When told to go to one of the 3 windows, go to the farther or the middle window. At least that's the way it was on the day I was there. Maybe others can chime in. What is the problem with the woman at the window closest to the line we came from? She looked like she was constantly yelling at the top of her lungs and wanted to pull out her own hair over her frustration that people didn't have exactly what she wanted or couldn't find what she wanted, etc. Yes, people should come very organized, regardless I would say to steer clear of this window or perhaps watch the 3 windows for a while and switch lines when you figure out which one is obviously giving people a plethera of problems. The 2 other woman seemed fine and the woman for the 2nd interview was extremely pleasant.

Questions asked... the same as others have recently posted, though not as many questions. They did both ask about my divorce, if she knew my kid, etc.

Unknown how long it will really take to get the visa. We were told DHL will have it in 1 day and that we would have it in 10 days. Scratching my head a bit on that one. By the way, the USC is told to "take a hike." I.e. The USC is not able to stand up there with his fiance at the first interview, so I advise people to make sure their fiance knows what each and every document is and the order that you have them in. The interviewer will have them put it all in a different order, so if your fiance doesn't know which document is the DS-156 and which is the I-134 and what the supporting docs are for the I-134 etc it becomes very frustrating for the woman doing the interview. You will not be able to help your fiance with this. 2 of the 3 interviewers were patient, the woman at the first window is not. My fiance's interveiwer even commented how relieved she was that my fiance was so well organized and knew what was what so it went very quickly. While we were probably the 30th or so couple in the immigrant lines, we were the first to have the 2nd interview. Perhaps organization was the key.

Thanks VJ

Edited by Ready to do it

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-27

Timeline

Wow! That was quick. I think my fiance's visa is already ready to be picked up. She got an email yesterday stating that a document has been shipped. I just logged onto the Visa Information Service website and it says her Visa is ready for pickup. I clicked on the DHL tracking # and it looks like it is still in Bogota according to the DHL tracking, but it also says "Awaiting collection by recipient as requested." That was pretty quick if it is already ready for pickup. It does appear the consulate gave the item to DHL on Friday, which seems odd as I thought Friday was a holiday. We were approved on Wednesday. Anyway you slice it, the visa is ready for pickup or will be in my fiance's hands shortly. This info should help others plan as it doesn't look like it really takes 7-10 days or so.

Timeline

First window, "How we know each other, for how long, what she does, what I do, where we will live, if she knew that I was married before, and what is my cell number?"

Second window, "What does she do, what do I do, how long have we known each other, how did we meet, how many times have I been to Colombia to see her?"

review is posted

Very good review. I think that could help many people in the future. Too bad I could not be with Mapy for her interview, of course the old rules said you could not. The embassy said I would actually had to have stayed outside in the cold.

Wow! That was quick. I think my fiance's visa is already ready to be picked up. She got an email yesterday stating that a document has been shipped. I just logged onto the Visa Information Service website and it says her Visa is ready for pickup. I clicked on the DHL tracking # and it looks like it is still in Bogota according to the DHL tracking, but it also says "Awaiting collection by recipient as requested." That was pretty quick if it is already ready for pickup. It does appear the consulate gave the item to DHL on Friday, which seems odd as I thought Friday was a holiday. We were approved on Wednesday. Anyway you slice it, the visa is ready for pickup or will be in my fiance's hands shortly. This info should help others plan as it doesn't look like it really takes 7-10 days or so.

Sounds like they went from a super slow process to assembly line performance.

Timeline

Can anybody tell me exactly what they received at the medical exam? My fiancee is in a panic. She read something where they checked a box saying:

"Vaccine history incomplete Applicant may be eligible for blanket waiver because vaccinations not medically appropriate"

I am not concerned about that, but am concerned because she says she only has the paper that states that and the x-ray. Should she have something else? Seems I read people are usually handed a CD?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My husband just went on friday. They gave him the exam results in a manila envelope and the x-rays. Both are sealed. They told him he was healthy but made him retake DtaP and MMR vaccines even though he took them both about a month and a half ago. He went with Dr. Roa.

IR-1

Married: 12/29/2008

USCIS CSC

I-130 Sent : 11/05/2010

I-130 NOA1 :11/19/2010

I-130 NOA2 :05/20/2011

182 days - No RFE's

NVC

Received : 06/08/2011

DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 06/08/2011

Receive I-864 Package : 06/10/2011

Completed DS-3032 : 06/11/2011 (NVC received 06/16/2011)

Pay I-864 Bill : 06/23/2011

Pay IV Bill : 07/22/2011

Return Completed I-864 & IV : 07/25/2011

NVC received: 07/27/2011

NVC RFE: 08/09/11

NVC RFE sent/NVC Received: 08/10/2011--08/12/2011

False RFE for IV: 08/10/11

False RFE for previous RFE: 08/11/11 & 08/14/2011

NVC Reviewed IV: 08/11/2011

SIF and Case Complete : 08/19/2011

Interview Date Set: 09/30/2011

EMBASSY

Medical: 11/11/2011

Interview: 11/16/2011 *APPROVED*

Visa Received: 11/21/11 (arrived on 3rd business day)

POE: 12/02/2011

Welcome Letter & SSN Arrived: 12/12/11

2nd Welcome Letter & 10-year GC Arrived: 12/17/11

-Happily Ever After-

Timeline

We were approved Wednesday as well and received an email Friday. DHL also shows it as received on Friday.. that surprised me a tad being the the embassy visa unit closed that day. I can see that it also had further processing on Saturday.... Monday is a holiday so nothing should move via DHL that day but Tuesday we should be able to pick it up. That would be three business days from Interview to visa in hand. very good! I was a bit nervous from other reports of 6-7 business days as our flight is on Friday.

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Timeline

Thanks for all of the info and reviews, will be a great help. Awesome to know that it could be around 3 business days!

Question for females that have done the medical interview - is being on their period a problem? My wife is stressing a little because the appt day is around when she'll be on her period and the doctor didnt specify...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My husband just went on friday. They gave him the exam results in a manila envelope and the x-rays. Both are sealed. They told him he was healthy but made him retake DtaP and MMR vaccines even though he took them both about a month and a half ago. He went with Dr. Roa.

That's exactly one of the reasons why I hate these doctors, especially Dr. Roa because he told my husband and everyone who went to see him that day that they needed "new" vaccines because they ones they had gotten previously were too old. No if or buts about it, they had to get them again, in his office and nowhere else or he wouldn't approve the exam. #######. :angry:

Diana

Edited by Mononoke28

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks for all of the info and reviews, will be a great help. Awesome to know that it could be around 3 business days!

Question for females that have done the medical interview - is being on their period a problem? My wife is stressing a little because the appt day is around when she'll be on her period and the doctor didnt specify...

No need to worry, they won't be doing a pap test during the exam, it's not that invasive.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

That's exactly one of the reasons why I hate these doctors, especially Dr. Roa because he told my husband and everyone who went to see him that day that they needed "new" vaccines because they ones they had gotten previously were too old. No if or buts about it, they had to get them again, in his office and nowhere else or he wouldn't approve the exam. #######. :angry:

Diana

My fiancee was not told that. I finally have her calmed down today. She received her vaccinations on 11-3, so hers were very new. She did say that they had told her to expect $200 in vaccines when she showed up. It is all about $$$$.

Timeline

His x-ray was sealed? That's odd.

Timeline

With my fiance, he had her get influenza and 2 other vaccines. Cost was 130k pesos. He explained to me that because they don't have past history they check "blanket waiver." He said they do this on almost all of them. No worries. However, your fiance should have been given a sealed envelope to give to the Embassy and his/her appointment.

1) Sealed envelope to give to the embassy at appointment (no need to take the X-ray to the appointment), and

2) The X-ray. He/she will need to give this to the officer at POE into the United States.

To recap, for the interview, your fiance needs to take the sealed envelope given to him/her at the medical (by the way, after the medical they tell you to come back in 90 minutes to pick up the sealed envelope). Perhaps he forgot to go back and get the sealed envelope?

Upon entry into the US, your fiance will need passport/visa and the X-ray.

Can anybody tell me exactly what they received at the medical exam? My fiancee is in a panic. She read something where they checked a box saying:

"Vaccine history incomplete Applicant may be eligible for blanket waiver because vaccinations not medically appropriate"

I am not concerned about that, but am concerned because she says she only has the paper that states that and the x-ray. Should she have something else? Seems I read people are usually handed a CD?

Timeline

With my fiance, he had her get influenza and 2 other vaccines. Cost was 130k pesos. He explained to me that because they don't have past history they check "blanket waiver." He said they do this on almost all of them. No worries. However, your fiance should have been given a sealed envelope to give to the Embassy and his/her appointment.

1) Sealed envelope to give to the embassy at appointment (no need to take the X-ray to the appointment), and

2) The X-ray. He/she will need to give this to the officer at POE into the United States.

To recap, for the interview, your fiance needs to take the sealed envelope given to him/her at the medical (by the way, after the medical they tell you to come back in 90 minutes to pick up the sealed envelope). Perhaps he forgot to go back and get the sealed envelope?

Upon entry into the US, your fiance will need passport/visa and the X-ray.

I am wondering if she opened the sealed envelope, since she was reading the ds-3025.... if not she messed up.... if so maybe she messed up Tomorrow morning is the interview.

Edited by justwaiting4her

Timeline

Never heard of the DS-3025. Sounds like she may have opened it. Who was her doctor? If it was Dr. Roa, that seems odd as they are very explicit with the instructions. If she had Dr. Roa, she absolutely would have known not to open the envelope.

If she did open it, I really don't know what the consequences would be. Perhaps they would make her go back and get a new sealed envelope?

Ah... It does sound like she opened it if she is reading where he requested the waiver because she would not have been given that. The only reason I knew anything about that was because I was sitting right across from him talking to him as he was filling out all the paperwork and he explained to me that he was requesting a waiver, which he does on almost all of them. I assume that is one of the papers that was put into the envelope as the only things she will have after the medical and then coming back after 90 minutes are the X-ray and a sealed envelope.

I am wondering if she opened the sealed envelope, since she was reading the ds-3025.... if not she messed up.... if so maybe she messed up Tomorrow morning is the interview.

Edited by Ready to do it

Timeline

I might add... you need to make sure your fiance is very organized for her interview, has every single item listed in the Interview packet (in order), and knows what every single item is. If she does, she'll breeze through (other than the fact that it sounds like she opened the envelope). If she doesn't have and know what every single document is, it could turn out to be a headache. Organization is the key. Listening and following the instructions they give her, word for word, will make things so much easier. I saw so many people just clueless. Basically, when she gets there they will say, "Ok, do this, then this, then this, then this." I.e. They will have her re-arrange everything in a different order. If she knows what every item is going in and where it is in her stack of stuff, the process will be painless. If she does not know exactly where everything is and what everything is, then it could be a headache. I saw and I've also heard from others, where they have sent people away telling them to come back after they have everything correct. ie. People missing documents, photos, etc. It sounds like she may be sent away for opening the envelope (maybe, maybe not). If she gets up there and is one of the 50%+ people that are clueless and she has opened the envelope then she will most likely be sent away. Prepare her for this. It's just a small stumbling block. Keep her relaxed and focused, as I'd count on her being sent away (which you need to be ready to explain that it's ok, she'll get it right for when she comes back... versus her just totally breaking down and losing it).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.