USColombia

Colombia Club Part III

443 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

In my 8 years of travel to Colombia I can say one thing for certain... The best way I have found for my fiance to get money from me is via ATM card with a bank that does not charge a fee and uses a good exchange rate. I experimented with numerous cards. Wells Fargo was typically the worst of all the ones I tried because of the $5 fee. Further, I found the exchange rate with the Wells Fargo card to be worse than I got with others, such as CompassBank. Ultimately, as long as you withdraw the max or a large amount such as 700k pesos on each withdrawal, we're not talking about a lot of money. But if you want to get 700k to your SO in Colombia or if you are yourself in Colombia trying to withdrawal 700k pesos numerous times a month, it adds up. The key... use an ATM card that does not charge a fee and then try numerous cards on the same day to see which one gives you the best exchange rate. Common sense says the exchange rate should be the same. I can tell you from experience... it is not. Wells Fargo was clearly the worst of the four that I tried, and so I closed my Wells Fargo account of 10+ years because of it.

The type of account you have may waive the fee. It can be picked up at Bancolombia, Davivienda, and BBVA. Try it out. It really is great. And if the fee isn't waived it's still only like 3.50 or something minimal like that. It's worth it.

Edited by Ready to do it

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-27

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks for the comments Kali and Ready... I had looked at Wells Fargo in January but I was taken aback by the exchange rate they were offering me but that was using a different method than Kali and since she reported a decent rate I think I will at least check them out for possible future uses. I normally try to just take cash with me and exchange it while in the country.. This worked well in places like the Dominican Republic where there are people on every street corner waving handfuls of cash to exchange.. If they offer you a crappy rate just go down to the next corner and before too long you get the going rate... In Colombia the rates (such as they were) were posted on the wall - no negotiation, the person was behind glass, and I had to fill out forms and be fingerprinted.. I'm sure the extra process has to do with fighting money laundering or something similar but it was a hassle.

This time around I have pretty much committed to using the PayPal worldcard as I have already funded the account for this trip and she is pulling about 500K a day to stock up for the vaccinations/medical/visit money at the current good rates.. I'll check on the exact rate we receive and report back here.. I've heard that it is pretty good.

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

In my 8 years of travel to Colombia I can say one thing for certain... The best way I have found for my fiance to get money from me is via ATM card with a bank that does not charge a fee and uses a good exchange rate. I experimented with numerous cards. Wells Fargo was typically the worst of all the ones I tried because of the $5 fee. Further, I found the exchange rate with the Wells Fargo card to be worse than I got with others, such as CompassBank. Ultimately, as long as you withdraw the max or a large amount such as 700k pesos on each withdrawal, we're not talking about a lot of money. But if you want to get 700k to your SO in Colombia or if you are yourself in Colombia trying to withdrawal 700k pesos numerous times a month, it adds up. The key... use an ATM card that does not charge a fee and then try numerous cards on the same day to see which one gives you the best exchange rate. Common sense says the exchange rate should be the same. I can tell you from experience... it is not. Wells Fargo was clearly the worst of the four that I tried, and so I closed my Wells Fargo account of 10+ years because of it.

This is what we've been doing in recent years. If my mom is staying in Colombia, I just deposit money in her US bank account so she can pay with her debit card there or withdraw from any ATM. You get more bang for your buck that way.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I haven't yet seen any chatter about this, and I haven't yet completely figured it out yet, but I need to start some discussion and get feedback. I'm not sure which all visas are affected, but the way we do K visas has changed as of this month. Much of what I have read here on VJ and at the embassy site concerning packet 3 and 4 has changed. I got an email response today from the embassy telling me that "This office is pleased to inform you that it can begin to process your fiancé(e) visa case." There were 6 attachments with it. 3 in English, and the same 3 in Spanish. Medical Exam Instructions, How to Schedule you K Visa Appointment, and K Visa Instructions Packet 3/4.

Well my head is still trying to sort this out, but what I see that is different so far is that we no longer mail, fax, or email the DS 2100, and DS 230. Those are gone. We go to he embassy website and create an account, pay online?(still trying to figure this out), and schedule the interview date ourself. The day of the interview you take in DS 156 and 156K, the list of documents(changes here!), and your medical exam info(now 4 doctors to choose from).

The embassy still has the old packet 3 and 4 posted on the site. I'd have no idea about the new stuff had I not got the email. My novia told me a month ago that we could pay online for the interview, but I had told her she was loca until today. The new Spanish Packet 3/4 is dated revised June 2011. The English Packet 3/4 is dated October 2011.

The new document requirements not only say nothing about the petitioner needing the DAS thingy, but also has omitted it for the beneficiary. (this is the DAS that pertains to entries and exits)

The baptism certificate looks like that it is only needed if the birth certificate is older than 2 years.

Overall, the changes I see are positive, but on the downside I have no "cookbook" to follow with the from the experiences of others.

I need to read through it again, and hopefully have enough confidence tomorrow to create the embassy account, pay for the interview, and schedule the date.

Any insight is appreciated.

Andy

PS: As to exactly what does and does not need to be translated is murkier than ever. At least for me it is. The new Packet 3/4 says "If you already

included an English translation in the documents you submitted to USCIS as part of the petition process, you do not

need to provide additional English translations or duplicate copies." From reading this, I assume everything needs translated that wasn't translated for the original petition. From reading previous posts, I gathered that nothing needs translated for the embassy. Anyone?

I came here to find out what is going on with packets 3/4 because someone in the K1 Spanish thread said they received it from the US embassy. Once I read that I went to their website and they still have the old packet info. In summary, these are the new changes:

1. You can now make your appointment online. This eliminates the need to fax, email or mail form DS-2100 to the embassy in order to get an appointment.

2. DAS certificates (entries and exits) are no longer needed for either one of the applicants.

3. Form DS-230 is no longer needed.

4. A new doctor has been added, a pediatrician, to do children medical exams.

It sounds like they're trying to make the process smoother and easier on everybody which is great, my problem is the same thing I've complained about, if these are the new changes, why are they not posting them on their website?! What about the people who will never get this packet in the mail? they'll never find out about the new process.

Anyway, I asked the VJ member who got the packet from the embassy for a copy and she said she was going to send it to me in both English and Spanish, as soon as I get it I'll share it with you guys.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

We emailed the DS-2100 and DS-230 around September 20-25. I am anticipating that our appt date will be listed online sometime between Oct 20-30. Because of this new process, do you recommend we do something else or simply wait to see if our appt is scheduled? Do we need to be trying to set up an appt online?

I came here to find out what is going on with packets 3/4 because someone in the K1 Spanish thread said they received it from the US embassy. Once I read that I went to their website and they still have the old packet info. In summary, these are the new changes:

1. You can now make your appointment online. This eliminates the need to fax, email or mail form DS-2100 to the embassy in order to get an appointment.

2. DAS certificates (entries and exits) are no longer needed for either one of the applicants.

3. Form DS-230 is no longer needed.

4. A new doctor has been added, a pediatrician, to do children medical exams.

It sounds like they're trying to make the process smoother and easier on everybody which is great, my problem is the same thing I've complained about, if these are the new changes, why are they not posting them on their website?! What about the people who will never get this packet in the mail? they'll never find out about the new process.

Anyway, I asked the VJ member who got the packet from the embassy for a copy and she said she was going to send it to me in both English and Spanish, as soon as I get it I'll share it with you guys.

Diana

Timeline

Here's the link within the new Packet 3/4 that goes to the new stuff.

http://usvisa-info.com/en-CO/selfservice/ss_country_welcome

My novia and I plan to fill out the 156 tonight and schedule our appointment online tonight.

I'd post the new Packet 3/4, but not sure how to add the file here.

Congratulation alt+3!

Andy

Edited by Jo & A

Timeline

Yeah!!! My fiance got the email with the "new packet 3/4" today as well.

A few questions...

1) It says to fill out the DS-156 and DS-156k on their new online system and print, etc. It makes it sound like they are recording this info after we type it in and they want the print-outs. Are you guys clicking on the "Generate Family Duplicate" button when you enter your information?

2) My fiance has a record of a few of the vacunas, but not all of them. Which of the 3 (now 4) doctors do you guys recommend so we don't get gouged or asked to pay for unnecessary vacunas?

3) It looks as though we need to schedule the medical and have blood work/x-rays done at another location. I assume we need to schedule the blood work/xrays as well, as opposed to just showing up.

I have the calandar of all the upcoming holidays. I would like to go onto the website and fill out the DS-156 and DS-156k right now. I am also going to set up the Interview date. Realistically how many days do we need for the blood work/xrays, medical, and interview? I.e. Could I set the blood work/Xray and then medical up in the same day and then have the interview the next day or is that not enough tikime? Unfortunately I can set the interview up today and then what would happen if we call Monday to set up the blood work/xray and or medical and there are no availabilities the day before the interview... that would kinda suck.

Filling out DS-156...

Question 14... National ID #? That is cedula #, correct?

Question 22.... When do you intende to arrive in the US? Can I put a date like 2 weeks after the interview, even though we haven't bought the ticket yet?

Question 24.... At what address will you stay in the US? I am going to put my current address, but I am planning on moving either right before or right after she moves.... if I move before can I just give them the new info at the interview, or can I just wait till she gets here and then send in a change of address form? Even if I move before she gets here I will still be paying rent at my current address through the end of November anyhow.

Question 26... How long do you intend to stay in the US? Answer... For the rest of my life???? Is this a trick question?

Question 27... What is the purpose of your trip? Answer... To live my life with my future husband?

Question 32... Do you intend to work in the US? Answer.... Sometime? No plans right now, but we would like to apply for the work permit as soon as we can. Or should I just say "No." Or should I just say "Yes" and leave all that employment info blank as obviously we don't know where she would work when she is eventually given work permit.

Application prepared by.... is this relevant? Should we put my name (the petitioner) since I'm the one going online to fill it our, or can we just put her name?

Thanks... so exciting!!!!

Timeline

Yeah!!! My fiance got the email with the "new packet 3/4" today as well.

A few questions...

1) It says to fill out the DS-156 and DS-156k on their new online system and print, etc. It makes it sound like they are recording this info after we type it in and they want the print-outs. Are you guys clicking on the "Generate Family Duplicate" button when you enter your information?

2) My fiance has a record of a few of the vacunas, but not all of them. Which of the 3 (now 4) doctors do you guys recommend so we don't get gouged or asked to pay for unnecessary vacunas?

3) It looks as though we need to schedule the medical and have blood work/x-rays done at another location. I assume we need to schedule the blood work/xrays as well, as opposed to just showing up.

I have the calandar of all the upcoming holidays. I would like to go onto the website and fill out the DS-156 and DS-156k right now. I am also going to set up the Interview date. Realistically how many days do we need for the blood work/xrays, medical, and interview? I.e. Could I set the blood work/Xray and then medical up in the same day and then have the interview the next day or is that not enough tikime? Unfortunately I can set the interview up today and then what would happen if we call Monday to set up the blood work/xray and or medical and there are no availabilities the day before the interview... that would kinda suck.

Filling out DS-156...

Question 14... National ID #? That is cedula #, correct?

Question 22.... When do you intende to arrive in the US? Can I put a date like 2 weeks after the interview, even though we haven't bought the ticket yet?

Question 24.... At what address will you stay in the US? I am going to put my current address, but I am planning on moving either right before or right after she moves.... if I move before can I just give them the new info at the interview, or can I just wait till she gets here and then send in a change of address form? Even if I move before she gets here I will still be paying rent at my current address through the end of November anyhow.

Question 26... How long do you intend to stay in the US? Answer... For the rest of my life???? Is this a trick question?

Question 27... What is the purpose of your trip? Answer... To live my life with my future husband?

Question 32... Do you intend to work in the US? Answer.... Sometime? No plans right now, but we would like to apply for the work permit as soon as we can. Or should I just say "No." Or should I just say "Yes" and leave all that employment info blank as obviously we don't know where she would work when she is eventually given work permit.

Application prepared by.... is this relevant? Should we put my name (the petitioner) since I'm the one going online to fill it our, or can we just put her name?

Thanks... so exciting!!!!

1)About the DS 156, just finished it 5 minutes ago. I also thought they were recording the answers, but I'm pretty sure it is only a fancy way to scare you into not screwing up.

2) 3) can't answer for you

I see your point about not knowing if there were available medical appoinment dates right before the interview date. I'm still aiming to set the interview date tonight, and then we'll call about medical appointments Monday.

DS 156

14) we used the CC number

22) we left it blank since it said "provide specific date if known"

24) I can't tell you

26) we put "until death"

27) we put "marriage according to the terms of the K1 visa"

32) we left it as "no" since that wasn't the reason she is coming

we had a discussion over the "prepared by" and decided to leave it blank

I hope this helps

I can't get an answer on this from anyone, do you have an opinion on what forms need translated? We are thinking we will have the birth certificate, and police certificate translated if anything.

Andy

Timeline

Definitely birth certificate. Haven't researched it yet. I'll probably go ahead and have her translate the police certificates and baptismal certificate as well if it's not an arm and a leg.

Did you schedule your interview? If so, is it a calandar showing the available dates? We're discussing dates right now, trying to weave through all the holidays and commitments I have to be in the US on.

I can't get an answer on this from anyone, do you have an opinion on what forms need translated? We are thinking we will have the birth certificate, and police certificate translated if anything.

Andy

Timeline

Definitely birth certificate. Haven't researched it yet. I'll probably go ahead and have her translate the police certificates and baptismal certificate as well if it's not an arm and a leg.

Did you schedule your interview? If so, is it a calandar showing the available dates? We're discussing dates right now, trying to weave through all the holidays and commitments I have to be in the US on.

Ok, here's what I have. You do not actually need the DS 156 filled out to register or make the appointment. They make it read that way though. Once you register, and navigate (the guide in the Packet 3/4 helped, but was not totally accurate) your way through the set up, you have the option to pay. Once the $350 or 700,000.00 pesos is paid, you can then move to the calendar to chose an appointment date.

We are not going to schedule the date yet until we get to talk to the doctors to see what kind of wait time there is for appointments.

I can tell you that as of tonight that these are the available appointment dates for interviews

Oct 19,20,21,26,27

Nov 1,3,4,7,8,9,10,15,16,17,21,22,23,28,29,30

Dec was not yet available

Timeline

Ok, here's what I have. You do not actually need the DS 156 filled out to register or make the appointment. They make it read that way though. Once you register, and navigate (the guide in the Packet 3/4 helped, but was not totally accurate) your way through the set up, you have the option to pay. Once the $350 or 700,000.00 pesos is paid, you can then move to the calendar to chose an appointment date.

We are not going to schedule the date yet until we get to talk to the doctors to see what kind of wait time there is for appointments.

I can tell you that as of tonight that these are the available appointment dates for interviews

Oct 19,20,21,26,27

Nov 1,3,4,7,8,9,10,15,16,17,21,22,23,28,29,30

Dec was not yet available

No, you dont need the DS156, just the DS2100, DS230 for each beneficiary...

Take the DS156 with you for the appointment, you'll need it when you go to Bancohelm to pay the fee..

Also, they will want the form printed 2 sided.. At least they made us do that...

Timeline

Take the DS156 with you for the appointment, you'll need it when you go to Bancohelm to pay the fee..

Also, they will want the form printed 2 sided.. At least they made us do that...

As far as I can tell, DS 2100 and DS 230 are no longer needed.

DS 156 (2 copies) still needs to be taken to the appoinment.

I paid the fee online last night.

Timeline

Kenny

They just changed the process it looks like effective Sept 28.

Ultimately it looks like things will be much easier for folks as there's no more DS2100, DS230, nor going to banks to pay. People will be able to pay by credit card on their website and set up the appointment on the internet on the date they want. ie. no more waiting for the embassy to set up the appointment. This looks like it significantly speeds things up as well. I which they would have started this 1 month earlier.

Timeline

Kenny

They just changed the process it looks like effective Sept 28.

Ultimately it looks like things will be much easier for folks as there's no more DS2100, DS230, nor going to banks to pay. People will be able to pay by credit card on their website and set up the appointment on the internet on the date they want. ie. no more waiting for the embassy to set up the appointment. This looks like it significantly speeds things up as well. I which they would have started this 1 month earlier.

Very COOL!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.