USColombia

Colombia Club Part III

443 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Are you in that big of a rush? Supringly I went on USCIS one day (after 3 months of it showing no case found) and it said NOA2 was approved (I lucked out by checking it the exact day). I waited about a week, called NVC, gave them my SS#, her DOB, etc and they gave me the case #. Once you have that you can send the packet 3. I, on the other hand waited until my fiance got the packet 3 in the mail (about 3 weeks later) and then we both flew to Bogota about a week later filled it out together and then I scanned and emailed it to her when I got back to the US. So, yes we could have saved 3-4 weeks, but really... what's the rush? We have our whole lives to spend together.

Ok, I think the embassy info page on VJ matches better with what you are saying.

I got that info from the Colombia Club Guide entry on the VJWiki . It is either incorrect or I read it wrong.

But I have to ask, if the DOS has access to the embassy system, wouldn't the DOS also be able to see if the embassy has entered the case into their system or not, as well as having the appointment dates?

I'll start emailing them everyday come Tuesday until they tell me they have the case.

Andy

Edited by Ready to do it

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-27

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Bogota interview for CR-1 visa.

I have a question about the documents needed for the interview. Basically, we have a NOA2 and are all set to to go.

My wife spent a day gathering the required documents for the packet IV. BTW, she was able to get my DAS report easily without me signing anything at all--but we are married?! She brought a copy of my passport--that's all.

So, she only has one copy of all of the documents (official). My question is, where do we send the documents? I sent the AOS and the NVC sent me a reminder that I need to send them the Application (230) and "supporting documents." If I send the things to them, she won't have any to bring to the interview. She doesn't want any of the documents back because in Colombia they seem to be obsessed with "fresh" documents. The IV packet for Bogota talks about bringing copies (official) if you want the originals back. I am talking about sending the birth certificate, baptism, wedding cert, police cert, DAS reports for both of us--sealed, 4 photos, copy of my passport, basically all of the items on the checklist for the IV packet.

Can I just send everything into the NVC for the interview and have her show up at the interview with the medical, her passports, and copies of the supporting evidence of our relationship? Again, not bringing in (certified) copies of the things needed because they are already sent to the NVC. She has photo copies--just unofficial copies.

Also, I read conflicting things about the need to translate documents. Do I in fact need to translate the required documents? I read some place that the things need to be translated and other places, they say it is not important if it is in Spanish or English--just not a foreign language other than those.

Thank you in advance for your assistance! I am hoping to get this put together/figured out ASAP so we can get the interview quickly.

Timeline

I have a question about the documents needed for the interview. Basically, we have a NOA2 and are all set to to go.

My wife spent a day gathering the required documents for the packet IV. BTW, she was able to get my DAS report easily without me signing anything at all--but we are married?! She brought a copy of my passport--that's all.

So, she only has one copy of all of the documents (official). My question is, where do we send the documents? I sent the AOS and the NVC sent me a reminder that I need to send them the Application (230) and "supporting documents." If I send the things to them, she won't have any to bring to the interview. She doesn't want any of the documents back because in Colombia they seem to be obsessed with "fresh" documents. The IV packet for Bogota talks about bringing copies (official) if you want the originals back. I am talking about sending the birth certificate, baptism, wedding cert, police cert, DAS reports for both of us--sealed, 4 photos, copy of my passport, basically all of the items on the checklist for the IV packet.

Can I just send everything into the NVC for the interview and have her show up at the interview with the medical, her passports, and copies of the supporting evidence of our relationship? Again, not bringing in (certified) copies of the things needed because they are already sent to the NVC. She has photo copies--just unofficial copies.

Also, I read conflicting things about the need to translate documents. Do I in fact need to translate the required documents? I read some place that the things need to be translated and other places, they say it is not important if it is in Spanish or English--just not a foreign language other than those.

Thank you in advance for your assistance! I am hoping to get this put together/figured out ASAP so we can get the interview quickly.

JJ NY,

Im a little confused but I guess you already have a BGT number, paid the forms fees and you are under NVC process.

The Package you send to NVC is different than the package you need for the interview. You are using the package 4 to get the documents but this package is just for the interview. Right now you need to check the NVC DS-230 civil documents needing to submit with this form, you can find this information here http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3190.html

As you can see theres just some documents you need to submit right now to NVC. And when NVC close your case and give you an interview appointment you will need to get the documents in the package 4. You will need to get the civil documents again for the interview phase. And copies of the forms you sent just in case.

The NVC doesnt need translated documents. So right now just the spanish written ones are needing without translations.

The interview day, as you see in the package 4 you will need informal translations just for the civil documents.

The civil documents you send are not original, just certified copies.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

JJ NY,

Don't pay attention to the information posted in the US embassy's website as it is mainly for K visa applicants. Since you applied for a CR1/IR1 visa, you only need to deal with the NVC. You first send the DS-3032 which once it is processed it will generate the IV Bill (visa fee). You can pay for this fee online and once the payment is processed you will be able to print out the coversheet (instructions) for the DS-230. In this package you will need to send all civil documents listed in the DOS website. You need to send original documents or certified copies along with photocopies of these documents. Translations are not needed if the documents are in either English or Spanish. At the NVC you will also need to pay the AOS (Affidavit of Support) fee, you can also pay this fee online and as with the other payment, once it is processed you will be able to print out the coversheet for the I-864.

The only thing your wife will need to take with her to the interview is the DAS certificate (exits and entries) one for each of you, baptismal certificate, medical exams and additional evidence, that's all. The embassy will have every single document you sent the USCIS and the NVC during the interview. I also recommend taking photocopies of these documents just in case they say they're missing something.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

Hi JJ, according to your timeline you received your NOA2 in early June? Have you gone through the NVC process yet? Something is off kilter here..

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Timeline

Hi good people! ok.. so my wife scheduled here medical stuff today.. The original plan was for her to fly into Bogota (form Medellin) in the morning, get the medical stuff done, then catch a plane back to Medellin and no overnight required in Bogota. My hope was for this to be done in mid-October so I could scratch it off the list... Bust as the usual case she changed plans mid-stream while on the phone with the doctor when she thought of an opportunity to save some money... She has scheduled the medical on the 7th (Monday) and the interview at the embassy is on the 9th (Wednesday).. I arrive on the 8th (Tuesday).

So awesome one trip to Bogota instead of two.. but before exchanging high fives I was wondering.. Is this enough lead time? Are there any of the Lab results or doctors tests that can go past a day for results and possibly leave us without the medical stuff for the interview?

Timeline

Hi good people! ok.. so my wife scheduled here medical stuff today.. The original plan was for her to fly into Bogota (form Medellin) in the morning, get the medical stuff done, then catch a plane back to Medellin and no overnight required in Bogota. My hope was for this to be done in mid-October so I could scratch it off the list... Bust as the usual case she changed plans mid-stream while on the phone with the doctor when she thought of an opportunity to save some money... She has scheduled the medical on the 7th (Monday) and the interview at the embassy is on the 9th (Wednesday).. I arrive on the 8th (Tuesday).

So awesome one trip to Bogota instead of two.. but before exchanging high fives I was wondering.. Is this enough lead time? Are there any of the Lab results or doctors tests that can go past a day for results and possibly leave us without the medical stuff for the interview?

She has time to get that done before the interview especially if she gets her lab work done very early in the morning and has her medical exam scheduled in the afternoon on that same day, this way the lab will have plenty of time to send the test results to the doctor before her appointment. The lab opens at 7 A.M. and most people start lining up between 6-6:30 A.M.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Hi JJ, according to your timeline you received your NOA2 in early June? Have you gone through the NVC process yet? Something is off kilter here..

I paid the AOS, submitted it, also paid the $440 fee. It took a lot time to get the documents all together. Additionally, my wife has a professional obligation in Bogota for 5 more Months. We didn't want to have her pass the 6 month grace period to enter the US with the visa we are trying for!

I went to Colombia to pick up the papers and just returned. I am hoping to put it all together tonight and write the cover letter etc... The info posted in the response has been very helpful.

I would like to clarify a few things.

1. All of the documentation of the legit. relationship is brought by my wife to the embassy?

2. The DAS certificates of entry/exit for me and her go with her to the interview--or in the packet to the NVC?

thanks!

Timeline

She has time to get that done before the interview especially if she gets her lab work done very early in the morning and has her medical exam scheduled in the afternoon on that same day, this way the lab will have plenty of time to send the test results to the doctor before her appointment. The lab opens at 7 A.M. and most people start lining up between 6-6:30 A.M.

Diana

Ah! Thanks.. especiallhy for that last tidbit about people lining up at 6-6:30.. her doctors appointment is at 10:00am. Looks like a busy morning and a dull afternoon.

Edited by OnMyWayID

Timeline

Ah! Thanks.. especiallhy for that last tidbit about people lining up at 6-6:30.. her doctors appointment is at 10:00am. Looks like a busy morning and a dull afternoon.

Congrats on your Interview date! Since her doctor appointment is so early i would recommend call to the lab just to be sure the results will be at the doctor at time for her appointment. So she wont have any problems or something.

The recommendation just because i have seen the doctor appointment is late afternoon when you do both stuff the same day.

Timeline

I paid the AOS, submitted it, also paid the $440 fee. It took a lot time to get the documents all together. Additionally, my wife has a professional obligation in Bogota for 5 more Months. We didn't want to have her pass the 6 month grace period to enter the US with the visa we are trying for!

I went to Colombia to pick up the papers and just returned. I am hoping to put it all together tonight and write the cover letter etc... The info posted in the response has been very helpful.

I would like to clarify a few things.

1. All of the documentation of the legit. relationship is brought by my wife to the embassy?

2. The DAS certificates of entry/exit for me and her go with her to the interview--or in the packet to the NVC?

thanks!

JJ NY,

1.The evidence of the relationship is just for the interview day.

2.DAS certificate of entry/exits is just for the interview day.

In the NVC page you will see the documents to submit to the NVC right now, and in the Package 4 in the embassy website the documents for the interview.

Timeline

hmm...I'm falling way behind. I haven't bought my husband ticket yet and plan to do so soon (they're so expensive already!) but I wasn't sure when to buy them for. His interview is on the 16th (of November) and I'm planning on having him come on the 23rd through Spirit (sadly, this is probably our ONLY option for now). Is this enough time? The cheaper option is the 6th or 7th of December (by about $200) but I want him here NOW. I'm so impatient and I think it would be cheaper in the long run (Bogota is an expensive city!) I, unfortunately cannot go to the interview so he will be there by himself and he plans on staying in Bogota until he comes. Of course, he will be picking up the visa at the Domesa office in Bogota. Is this good? What do you guys recommend doing?

IR-1

Married: 12/29/2008

USCIS CSC

I-130 Sent : 11/05/2010

I-130 NOA1 :11/19/2010

I-130 NOA2 :05/20/2011

182 days - No RFE's

NVC

Received : 06/08/2011

DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 06/08/2011

Receive I-864 Package : 06/10/2011

Completed DS-3032 : 06/11/2011 (NVC received 06/16/2011)

Pay I-864 Bill : 06/23/2011

Pay IV Bill : 07/22/2011

Return Completed I-864 & IV : 07/25/2011

NVC received: 07/27/2011

NVC RFE: 08/09/11

NVC RFE sent/NVC Received: 08/10/2011--08/12/2011

False RFE for IV: 08/10/11

False RFE for previous RFE: 08/11/11 & 08/14/2011

NVC Reviewed IV: 08/11/2011

SIF and Case Complete : 08/19/2011

Interview Date Set: 09/30/2011

EMBASSY

Medical: 11/11/2011

Interview: 11/16/2011 *APPROVED*

Visa Received: 11/21/11 (arrived on 3rd business day)

POE: 12/02/2011

Welcome Letter & SSN Arrived: 12/12/11

2nd Welcome Letter & 10-year GC Arrived: 12/17/11

-Happily Ever After-

Timeline

hmm...I'm falling way behind. I haven't bought my husband ticket yet and plan to do so soon (they're so expensive already!) but I wasn't sure when to buy them for. His interview is on the 16th (of November) and I'm planning on having him come on the 23rd through Spirit (sadly, this is probably our ONLY option for now). Is this enough time? The cheaper option is the 6th or 7th of December (by about $200) but I want him here NOW. I'm so impatient and I think it would be cheaper in the long run (Bogota is an expensive city!) I, unfortunately cannot go to the interview so he will be there by himself and he plans on staying in Bogota until he comes. Of course, he will be picking up the visa at the Domesa office in Bogota. Is this good? What do you guys recommend doing?

The 23rd would be pushing it.. That's five business days later.. That Friday is a Holiday (administrative day) I know the embassy does not do interviews that day - is that considered a non-business day?

I had to bail on Spirit from Bogota - Assuming you are going to Vegas you only have a one hour layover in FLL .. Not much better getting to LAX or Love field if you want to get a one way on Southwest out to Reno.. Still a one hour layover in FLL for the next hop.. If he goes out of Medellin he gets about an extra hour at the POE for a few more dollars. I took a quick peek and noticed Spirit has already sold out for a few days in late November.. Quite the pickle!

The cheapest one-way I saw for the 23rd besides spirit was for about 680.00 (after taxes) and it left Bogota at like 1 in the morning and came up through Mexico.. OneTravel had the deal..

Good luck! You might have to get a bit creative :)

Timeline

Is that Friday a Colombian holiday? Because it's not a holiday here in the US so the embassy should be working that day. Anyway, if his visa is approved on the 16th and he plans to fly on the 23rd he should have plenty of time. The visa is usually delivered/available in Bogotá 2-3 business days after the interview but if that Friday is actually a holiday, then yes, you'd be kind of pushing it. Also, I'm not aware of his layover time but if it's an hour like OnMyWayID mentioned, then he will most likely miss his connection flight to Nevada. Make sure he has plenty of time in between flights so he can go through customs and immigration and still catch his flight, I'd say between three to four hours.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I'm reading Packet 3 for the K1 visa and this is what it says about documents.

"Informal English translations are required for civil documents written in a foreign language. We can return most

original documents if you also bring notarized photocopies to your interview."

What are informal English translations?

Does anyone know which documents need to be translated for the interview?

Thanks,

Andy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.