Switchblade

Got Denied at Border (Intended Imm)

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey guys,

Last Sunday I tried to get into the United States to visit a bunch of friends that I met playing video games over the internet. This was the first time I had tried to enter the United States in my life and I'm 27 years of age.

I didn't do any research and thought this would be easy. I planned on staying a month and I was to have them meet me half way at the border in Detroit (they are from Chicago) to pick me up. I had in the car my computer, like 4 or 5 bags of wires / electronics and 1 suit case with clothes. Also because I was stressed and under pressure I said something's that came out wrong or I shouldn't of said like I had just moved out of my house to live with my dad, and such. Also I had no return ticket.

I didn't figure it would be so much trouble, and I basically got denied because I looked like an intended immigrant and that I planned to stay. I immediately went back to Canada and started printing out whatever I could nearby because I didn't want to waste the 4 hour trip to the border and all my friends time (they were waiting for me in Detroit).

I gave them like 2 print out showing that I was at my dads address and other stuff without my address, but no lease or letter of employment and stuff. Truth is my dad address is just a temporary address and I actually had a lease and stuff I just was stupid and didn't mention it.

So this is what I have gathered:

1. Letter of Employment (with Vacation Time and Expected Return date listed)

2. Lease till July 31st 2011

3. Last 3 months of electric bills (with lease address)

4. Last 3 months of my Cell Phone Bills (with lease address)

5. Bank Statements for last 3 months

6. 3 Pay Stubs from my Sub Contractor Work

7. 3 Transfers of money sent into my Pay Pal (I don't get checks from company)

So few questions are would they have recorded my other documents I had given them with the wrong address? If asked should I just say I was stressed last time and the address given was my dad's which is a temporary address (which is the 100% truth). I plan on getting a flight ticket home to further show I'm coming back to Canada. I was also wondering is there such a way to get pre cleared into the United States VIA Toronto Pearson Airport without buying flight tickets to avoid wasting money incase I get denied entry again?

Also I got a paper checklist and it says bring it to that office next time I'm entering the United States, however two things. A. If I'm travelling by Plane then it's impossible to go to that POE to do the check list. And B. I was invited to go to Niagara Falls for a few hours a week before I intended to try and stay with my friends for a month. Since Niagara Falls is on the other side of the province as to where Detroit is located, would I have major problems or get in trouble for trying to enter the states at a different POE even though it's no where near my intended destination?

Sorry for this long wall of text but I think you guys in advanced for replies and any help. I'm kinda stressed about this and really don't want to get into trouble.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This would probably be better asked in the Canada section!

Good luck tho on trying to re-enter. They keep everything in their computer system and can keep denying entry or give you a ban from the USA.

It really depends on who you get stuck with when trying to cross.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Moved from Tourist Visa forum to the Canada Regional forum as it is more about proving ties to Canada and problems crossing the border rather than with an actual tourist visa

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your evidence looks good. The border personnel want to feel comfortable that you are not going to disappear somewhere into the US and stay rather than return to Canada. If you are questioned about the discrepancy between addresses (I don't think that is likely) you can explain that you were in a temporary address on the last visit and have since moved so this is now the correct one.

Unfortunately, there is no way to go through pre-clearance at the airport unless you have a boarding pass which means you also need a purchased ticket. If you have good evidence - and you do - it is unlikely you will be denied. Be sure to answer honestly any questions asked about being denied and explain that you didn't realize you needed proof of your ties to Canada the first time but you have them with you now.

You may wish to try the Niagara Falls crossing first to see what happens. Be very upfront to show them you are not trying to by-pass their requirements but are trying to fulfill them. Bring the letter given to you at Detroit and present it to the border where you are crossing. Explain that you are hoping to visit Niagara Falls for a few hours and it is a long drive from Detroit to Niagara Falls and ask if you need to cross at the same crossing as last time. Be sure to have all of your evidence with you along with the letter. Volunteer this information at the border guard as well so it doesn't appear that you tried to cross without following the directions. You may be sent to secondary inspection which is where you will present your letter and evidence and make your request to be allowed in for your visit.

Make photocopies of everything as well - including the letter - so you will have copies of what was presented at home. If they allow you to enter - and it doesn't look to me like you should have a problem, but that is always up to the border guard - ask them if you need anything in writing from them (or passport stamp) that you can use to show when you do cross the border that you have tried to fulfill the requirements stated by the Detroit border crossing even though you didn't cross there.

Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Hey,

Thank you for moving this to the correct boards. I was unaware of this board so I posted in the other board.

I also wanted to mention that I did give them the address where I was supposed to be staying so hopefully this will all be enough next time.

Thanks for all the information you gave me because that will definitely help. That's too bad I can't get pre screened without actually potentially wasting a flight ticket there and back so I guess I'll have to take my chances.

Hopefully I can still cross at Niagara Falls and of course I'll be bringing every single piece of evidence they had asked for me.

If anybody else has some input that would be great too. Again thanks for your help and I really hope if for whatever reason I get denied again, I don't get a ban because I've never even been to the US before and have a ton of internet friends down there lol.

Thanks!

Timeline

I was denied entry twice. However, I was also admitted after the 2 denials. My advice, leave LOTS of time to go through screening as you are likely now to be pulled into secondary screening to have your ties reviewed. Be very open and honest with all your answers. There is no way to tell if you will be admitted but it is always harder after a denial.

And yes, no way to pre-clear without a bording pass. That is just the risk you take.

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Other Timeline

And don't tell them that you are a 27-year-old playing video games; that sounds so weird that the may take you out of the plane, drag you into secondary inspection and slap you until the truth comes out.

:bonk:

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

I don't understand how saying I'm a 27 year old playing video games would make them do anything like that.

I mean we aren't in the 1990's anymore. Like a third of the North American population play video games of all ages now lol.

Regardless it's the truth is it not? I don't feel like really lying to them and impact my future attempts even further to the United States.

Timeline

I was told by CBP that 24 year old white, blue eyed, women from Canada are entering the USA and staying at an " alarming rate ".

They almost stopped me even with full ties to Canada, job, family, money et. All I was doing was going to visit friends and had NEVER had problems before.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

And don't tell them that you are a 27-year-old playing video games; that sounds so weird that the may take you out of the plane, drag you into secondary inspection and slap you until the truth comes out.

mmm uhhh hmmmm No

Timeline

I don't understand how saying I'm a 27 year old playing video games would make them do anything like that.

I mean we aren't in the 1990's anymore. Like a third of the North American population play video games of all ages now lol.

Regardless it's the truth is it not? I don't feel like really lying to them and impact my future attempts even further to the United States.

Just Bob was speaking tongue in cheek, trying to be funny rather than serious. It isn't always easy to figure out when you are new to a site when someone is trying to pull your leg :) . Yeah, there are lots of gamers in their 20s and 30s and older - in fact some of the couples on Visa Journey met and became involved through gaming.

Good luck on your next border crossing - I hope it goes well.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

....I'm 37 whats your point? :P

I did the same thing in 2008 when i met my now husband. he also lives in Chicago. But i took a greyhound buss ride from Toronto to Chicago...ugh 24 hours.. they asked how we met i told them on a game. lol. and that i was my first time meeting them in person.

I did the same thing, brought my pc router cables bag of clothes etc. was the first time i had ever used my passport as i had just gotten it too.

your info looks good. i would recommend using the same crossing, if you use a diff one ( as i did a few months later when i was originally denied) it may look suspicious. that's what i was told by the poe guys.

Either way you may just have to go through secondary again and be drilled again with questions. I did.

but you also have your evidence now with proof of ties..so it shouldn't seem that big a deal. the letter from your work and your lease is very important. but they will look at the lease end date. just explain your with your dad temporarily til you get back and find a new place.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

I was told by CBP that 24 year old white, blue eyed, women from Canada are entering the USA and staying at an " alarming rate ".

They almost stopped me even with full ties to Canada, job, family, money et. All I was doing was going to visit friends and had NEVER had problems before.

:rofl:

Really? lol who woulda figured :whistle:

HWDWm6.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just Bob was speaking tongue in cheek, trying to be funny rather than serious. It isn't always easy to figure out when you are new to a site when someone is trying to pull your leg :) . Yeah, there are lots of gamers in their 20s and 30s and older - in fact some of the couples on Visa Journey met and became involved through gaming.

Good luck on your next border crossing - I hope it goes well.

I would be in one of those couples :) Although I stopped gaming last year :thumbs:

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Very good LOL

I gave up video games when I realized my 8 year old son was never gonna let me win again ;-)

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.