EthanJM

Why do Filipinos don't greet each other?

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

for me, culture. and maybe for others due to "dont talk to strangers" rule. :whistle:

I agree with this one.

GENERALLY (so I am generalizing here), Filipinos are wary strangers. However, if one warms up, it's all good. Friends and acquaintances even greet each other with their....eyebrows :rofl:

I was chatting with an old colleague who also moved to the US from the Philippines. We were talking about cultural differences and we kinda talked about how people here chat up with people they don't know, say hi to people they don't know.

I think it is largely cultural than class/snobbery.

In the Philippines, when you say hi to someone you don't know, you will get a "#######?" back.

Edited by Kang

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My wife refers to people as enemies, or allies. It's like the girls are always picking sides for some apocalyptic conflict. --- Yep, didn't you hear... world War III is men against the women. So the women are figuring out already who to have in the battle while the men will figure it out after the "first strike" happens.....

as for greeting each other, I have noticed unelss they know each other. It is a difference in "class" or "dress". If you dress appropriately they greet you, but otherwise you are not of their"station" they ignore you. I think this just comes from the way things are in the philippines and if you attempt to cross those boundaries, you had better be a very very very beautiful girl in their culture. U haven't seen the men do it, it is like some unwritten code....

So, yer saying then, it's cultural, right ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

ALL of the above!? :wacko:

Some people have this "I got here before you did so therefore, I am way above ya" attitude. :wacko:

This is soooo true, been here in Hawaii for a month already, and knowing Hawaii with lots of Filipino people.

Me and hubby went to this Filipino resto w/ grocery and this Filipina Lady who works from a fast food (she wearing her uniform)

maybe aged 45 above then she came near to me and my daughter and (I smiled at her but she gave me a sour smile (plastic smile)

maybe she heard my daughter speaking our Filipino Dialect and she got this thing in her that "I got here first attitude"

and when she saw my hubby hold my hand then she gave me a

head to foot stare/look its like saying "ah she got a big fish"

well my hubby not a fish but yeah he is big man :bonk:

Our Time Line
---------------------------
CR-1/CR-2
---------------------------

USCIS Stage: (13 DAYS)
Apr 15, 2012 - Filed I-130 ($420 x2)
Apr 19, 2012 - NOA-1
May 2, 2012 - NOA-2

NVC STAGE: (56 DAYS)
05/21/12 - Case finally entered into NVC system
05/25/12 - Received case #, IIN, and BIN, gave e-mail addresses, sent optin e-mail
05/25/12 - Received info package and AOS bill e-mails from NVC
05/25/12 - AOS bill invoiced & paid ($88)
05/29/12 - AOS bill appears as PAID
06/01/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & PAID ($230 x2)
06/04/12 - IV Bill Shows PAID
06/15/12 - AOS & IV Packages sent
07/02/12 - RFE email received
07/06/12 - Sent NSO copy of MC and BC
07/16/12 - Case Complete (2nd Wedding Anniversary)
08/01/12 - Interview Date Assigned -->>>>(Sept.5, 2012@ 6:15am)

Medical/CFO / Consulate / POE:
08/29/2012-------- Medical Exam: PASSED
08/30/2012 ---------Advance CFO @SMEF-COW
09/05/2012-------- Interview: VISA APPROVED!!!!

09/11/2012 ------- VISA RECEIVED!
10/02/2012 -------- POE = Honolulu, Hawaii
Welcome to Hawaii

10/18/2012 - received 10yr. GC & SSN#

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.