Templar21

I-134 Advice?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I recently graduated from university. I realize that at some point I will have to fill out the I-134 (Affidavit of Support), and it has me kind of worried. I don't have a job, as I was in university, and I am not sure how long it will take me to find a job, given the current economic conditions.

I have spoken to my father, who agreed that he would file the I-134 for my fiance. Given the circumstances, I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone have any examples of the I-134 when the person filing is not the fiance?

2. I was looking at the "relationship to sponsor" and question 11 in the I-134 and I am not sure what he should put. Any auggestions?

3. Does anyone have any personal experience with having someone else sponsor your fiance for the I-134?

4. Is there a is higher chance that her visa will be denied if I am not the sponsor?

I'm really unsure on how I should approach this. I decided to try and tackle it well ahead of time so that it doesn't become a problem for me later. Any help or suggections would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - Sorry if it looks like I am spamming the board with all of these new posts. I am just paranoid as heck!

I recently graduated from university. I realize that at some point I will have to fill out the I-134 (Affidavit of Support), and it has me kind of worried. I don't have a job, as I was in university, and I am not sure how long it will take me to find a job, given the current economic conditions.

I have spoken to my father, who agreed that he would file the I-134 for my fiance. Given the circumstances, I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone have any examples of the I-134 when the person filing is not the fiance?

2. I was looking at the "relationship to sponsor" and question 11 in the I-134 and I am not sure what he should put. Any auggestions?

3. Does anyone have any personal experience with having someone else sponsor your fiance for the I-134?

4. Is there a is higher chance that her visa will be denied if I am not the sponsor?

I'm really unsure on how I should approach this. I decided to try and tackle it well ahead of time so that it doesn't become a problem for me later. Any help or suggections would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - Sorry if it looks like I am spamming the board with all of these new posts. I am just paranoid as heck!

I was actually a co-sponsor of someone in your situation (friend just out of college and with no job), only my friend was male. This was some years back though (8-9+ if I recall right), but this could at least give you pointers.

1. Sorry, don't have that handy, perhaps others here can give that info.

2. I'd use 'father-in-law to be' or 'future father in-law' or even 'father of fiance'; don't think this matters as much, in the case I noted above I was 'friend' as I actually knew her (the beneficiary) and had known her personally for several years (and she is from Colombia) during the relationship development.

3. Yes. All I had to provide was income supporting documentation (tax transcripts for 2-3 years) that covered above the poverty line. At the time I did not yet own a house.

4. As I recall, there was not RFE or any other questioning. At the time, I was not even a citizen here just a LPR, so it could be argued that I had no real ties to the country, but have been here already more than 5 years, I had just never filed for citizenship. So, to your question, I don't think it would matter. Essentially, they want to know your future spouse will not become a burden to the state, thus the co-sponsor actually has a contractual responsibility, is not 'just a form'. This responsibility is released when your spouse becomes a citizen, according to a thread about this here in VJ a few weeks back, which is what occurred in my case, that is, when she became a citizen I was released from the sponsorship.

Hope this helps.

From another thread today (and I seem to recall this is what happened in the case I related earlier):

osted Yesterday, 11:47 PM

View PostTamila, on 27 May 2011 - 09:43 PM, said:

I'm petitioner. Can you please explain me what i can do if i don't meet requirements for I-134. I thought that my mother can file I-134 for my fiance. Can I do that?

Then you will fill out the I-134, provide your info, and your mother would fill out her own I-134 and provide her info. She will need to meet the 125% level for herself, any dependents of hers, and your fiance, whatever that makes her household size. This is all assuming your consulate accepts joint sponsors of course.

I am in a very similar situation as I am still pursuing my masters degree, but my tax transcripts are a bit embarassing and are only because I worked summer jobs!

I am intending to use my parents (slightly complicated as they file jointly, and also work for the same giant corporation so I am going to get employment verification letters for both of them because their bank statements show only one big paycheck instead of two separate paychecks - which can definitely look fishy). They will fill out the I-134, submit a copy of tax return transcript for past three years, employment verification, and statement from the bank.

I will submit the I-134, short note explaining my student status for past 6 years, and my embarassing tax tanscripts.

I will identify them as "future mother & father in-law"

Lastly, I really hope this doesn't increase chances for denial. We filed in February and our petition is at VSC so we don't expect to reach the itnerview stage until Augusut.

Good luck!!

2-11-11 | I-129F sent

2-16-11 | NOA1

6-06-11 | NOA2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.