san diego

language barrier adjustment

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Dear VJers,

Thank you very much, everyone, or great advices! I appreciate this. I did pick up a lot of usefuls suggestions hat I have not thought of and also found some consolation that this is normal. Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She is in good company, must be 300,000,000 who can not speak English. Or spell it correctly.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

San Diego, I remember talking to my brother about this once and he told me most cities offer free esl classes for anybody. I remember at the time I just did a google search and found some classes in the city where I live. I will be asking Pui soon if that is something she is interested in doing herself. I wonder if you could have a friend or family member meet her once a week over coffee or something for a short time and let them talk in english. Good luck.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Timeline

I think the problem might be partially caused by the way languages were (and sometimes still ARE) taught in Russia - many teachers used to make people think that making a grammar mistake was the worst possible thing they could do while speaking a foreign language.

So you should make sure she knows that if she makes a mistake nobody is going to think that she's stupid, nobody is going to laugh at her and that a lot of people in the States tend to respect foreigners, who speak English (cause there aren't that many Americans, who are fluent in foreign languages).

Speaking of me... I wasn't comfortable speaking English right away when I came to the USA for the 1st time, but I experienced what might be called a "shock therapy" :lol: I came to the States with my friend and we didn't have any friends or relatives there, we didn't know anybody. But we both had to get things done. I was on my own, I had to talk to people myself - I knew that if I don't do it, nobody would... I HAD TO speak English. And after talking to lots of different people, I realised that I didn't really care which language I was speaking (although, I was really glad every time I met somebody, who could speak Russian :) ). So, if there is a way for your wife to have some sort of independence and start doing something herself (like go/call to the social security office, or to the post office - to send a card to her family back in Russia, or... just go shopping), that can really help.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Timeline

San Diego, I remember talking to my brother about this once and he told me most cities offer free esl classes for anybody. I remember at the time I just did a google search and found some classes in the city where I live. I will be asking Pui soon if that is something she is interested in doing herself. I wonder if you could have a friend or family member meet her once a week over coffee or something for a short time and let them talk in english. Good luck.

Thank you, she is already attending free ESL. Scared to speak up though...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

My husband hasn't come yet but he is the same way. When ever i try to teach him something he gets mad because he says he sounds stupid. Im just hoping that with time he will learn it and feel comfortable talking in English.

[font="Century Gothic"]Married March 27, 2010
Sent out I-130 December 29, 2010
Recieved NOA 1 January 4, 2011
Touched January 6, 2011
Recieved NOA 2 May 9, 2011
Interview September 27, 2011
Visa in hand Septmeber 30, 2011 (it would of been the same day as the interview but they requested some more info)
POE - JFK, NYC October 12, 2011 [/font]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;0;23/st/20100327/e/Since+our+wedding/k/ccbb/event.png[/img]
[/url]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My wife (then fiancee) came here less than a month ago (3 weeks). She attends college for ESL. Her English I would say is below average but she can speak and understands everything people say. Since I speak Russia fluently she speaks Russian at home. However, she is ashamed speaking English to strangers. It developed into some kind of mental block when she almost refuses to see my friends (obviously they do not speak Russian). She loves gym and works-out every day. However, she uses only our gym and refuses to join the fitness club (even though she loves it) because she would have to speak to people there. I see that she is heavily depressed because of this and I do not know how to help her. Any suggestions? Thoughts? Anyone's fiancee experienced this type of block? Ho do you overcome it? It is like catch22. She is afraid to speak to people because she is not good but she will never be good until she starts speaking. Personal experience advice would be helpful. This affect our lives in a major way.

Been there done that... She needs to use English primarily in the home and Russian as a backup if she does not understand something.. she needs to make some friends in the english class that dont speak Russian... "Her friends", not yours... This will get her used to communicating with someone in English that she is friends with and then when she deals with others it will go much smoother... My wife complained about not going places, but when I tried to take her places she was affraid to go for fear she would have to interact with someone... Her English was far better than she felt it was.... The interaction in her English class is one of the best things for the relationship when it comes to he getting comfortable speaking outside the home... The friends made there can really help you...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

Been there done that... She needs to use English primarily in the home and Russian as a backup if she does not understand something.. she needs to make some friends in the english class that dont speak Russian... "Her friends", not yours... This will get her used to communicating with someone in English that she is friends with and then when she deals with others it will go much smoother... My wife complained about not going places, but when I tried to take her places she was affraid to go for fear she would have to interact with someone... Her English was far better than she felt it was.... The interaction in her English class is one of the best things for the relationship when it comes to he getting comfortable speaking outside the home... The friends made there can really help you...

Thank you!

What she experiences is totally normal. I had English in school for years and did not anticipate any problems. I also had a tutor to prepare me for the American adventure.

I remember vividly sitting in the local coffee shop, knowing that I would want to order coffee and 3 eggs "over easy." The server then told me the 421 different kinds of toast I could choose from, and I was speachless. It really takes some time to get used to all of this, and she'll get better as time moves on. Be gentle and help her without being too much picky. Allow her to transition smoothly. Half-a-year from now she'll be so much better!

Oh yes, this still happens to me. I read the menu, make sure I know what Im ordering, spell check with the husband to see if I am pronouncing the names right and then BANG! Waitress asks me a thousand different options for what I ordered.

What helps me is to tell waitresses and other people I meet and have trouble to understand that I am not very good at english. I say "sorry, my english is not very good, can you explain more?" or something like that. On all times people slow down and help me. When it is a situation strongly cultural that I simply don't understand, I even go as far as saying "I'm not american!!". I wish I had recorded the faces of fastfood employees when I told them I had never ate at their restaurants in my life before. My point is: based on my experiences, people are friendly to "internationals", and there is nothing to fear, but telling them you need help makes things easier.

So other then speaking english at home, whenever you guys go out together, ask her to do the talking/paying/ordering. If she gets lost, you'll be there. It may take a while for her to do it, but present the option, one day she might feel like giving it a try.

5oMDm5.png

For the detailed timeline, please click "Timeline" under my avatar and check the "comments".

ROC Journey:-

05.12.2012 -- Mailed I-751 packet

05.21.2012 -- Check Cashed

05.15.2012 -- NOA1

05.30.2012 -- Biometric notice issued

06.06.2012 -- Biometrics Date (walk-in). Was scheduled for 06/14

xx.xx.2012 -- Card Production Ordered.

xx.xx.2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

hi read some of the other post i have a few more ideas first i to have to say i to started to talk like my girl so she understands better.

first this i think will make her feel much better tell her you find her accent very sexy :yes: and you love to hear her talk :thumbs:

does she like to sing take her to a karaoke bar and you and her sing it doesn't matter if you sing good its about getting up there to sing in front of people

also find some American music she likes and let her sing in the car and house :dance:

good luck

m-o-o-n that spells Vermont Tom Cullen

twitter @beamfollower

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.