viccardenas

Mom-in-law to try for 3rd time to get visa

35 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My MIL got rejected the first 2 times. The second time they didn't look at any additional evidence she took wih her. The 3rd time they approved it right away. Nothing changed b/w the 2nd and 3rd tries - she even took the exact same copies of the supporting documents since they didn't look at them the 2nd time. She wasn't even given a reason for the 2nd denial.

My FIL got his B2 the following year without any problems. Always interesting to me, they own the same apartment, they are the same age, work for the same employer, have the same friends and social ties. So obviously we expected he would have a hard time too.

So what you saying, the CO does not look at the documents you submit to them?

They just come to interview and look at your face and decide to grant a visa or not?

You can believe that if you want to…..lol as I have said before in my previous statement “they make up their mind even before they come for an interview based on the information you have provided them”

I myself have been thru numerous CO interviews for all different kinda visa and yes even times my apps has been rejected (first hand experience)

I can tell you they definitely go thru your information, but every CO is different, some needs less convincing that applicant will do what they are required to do as per their visa, some CO needs more convincing that applicant will do as per their visa agreement.

They certainly look at your docs and the answers you give them during the interview.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

So what you saying, the CO does not look at the documents you submit to them?

They just come to interview and look at your face and decide to grant a visa or not?

You can believe that if you want to…..lol as I have said before in my previous statement “they make up their mind even before they come for an interview based on the information you have provided them”

I myself have been thru numerous CO interviews for all different kinda visa and yes even times my apps has been rejected (first hand experience)

I can tell you they definitely go thru your information, but every CO is different, some needs less convincing that applicant will do what they are required to do as per their visa, some CO needs more convincing that applicant will do as per their visa agreement.

They certainly look at your docs and the answers you give them during the interview.

That's not what I said at all.

I said they did not look at the additional evidence she brought with her. Supporting documents are not submitted with the DS-160, they are taken to the interview.

My MIL speaks very good english. If she said the CO did not look at these documents, then he most certainly did not look at them, end of story. I don't give a rat's backside how many interviews you have had, I have had a lot too. I am talking about a specific instance and that is how it happened.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

That's not what I said at all.

I said they did not look at the additional evidence she brought with her. Supporting documents are not submitted with the DS-160, they are taken to the interview.

My MIL speaks very good english. If she said the CO did not look at these documents, then he most certainly did not look at them, end of story. I don't give a rat's backside how many interviews you have had, I have had a lot too. I am talking about a specific instance and that is how it happened.

So on your specific single incident you cannot become expert and say CO dont look at document. All the documents you thought were important should had been submitted to CO and not taken as additional documents.

Sorry the consulate and COs dont work based on what you think is imp and what is additional document.

You giving the example of your mil saying thats how COs work which is not true simple :)

Timeline

So on your specific single incident you cannot become expert and say CO dont look at document. All the documents you thought were important should had been submitted to CO and not taken as additional documents.

Sorry the consulate and COs dont work based on what you think is imp and what is additional document.

You giving the example of your mil saying thats how COs work which is not true simple :)

I gave a specific example of something that happened. How does that imply or infer what is normal? Where did I claim that it always happens this way?

In fact, I was responding to Hazah. The post had nothing to do with you. You decided to jump in, you made an assumption and it was an incorrect one. Perhaps you should read the posts more carefully.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

All the documents you thought were important should had been submitted to CO and not taken as additional documents.

Just to clarify - in Kiev, you submit the DS-160 online. You bring all supporting documents with you. Documents are not sent in advance of the interview.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Your online DS-160 has enough information. :)

If the online DS-160 had enough information then they wouldn't refuse the applicants based on "not enough additional information", which is what they did 2 times for my MIL. After the first refusal they want to see documents in addition to what you tried to submit the first time. They want to see what's changed. You're not allowed to submit documents unless requested, and when they don't request them the additional documents are worthless. However, they can fail you for lack of these documents that they don't request. Fair??

And to make matters even more infuriating, you can't talk to a decent human being over there with enough authority to assist you. The officers see over a hundred applicants on average a day and they're not held accountable for each person. You're just another number to them and the officer's decision is final.

I just don't see how a country founded by immigrants that professes to be so tolerant and accepting to other people, with emphasis on freedom and liberty can deny parents from visiting their children. Yes there are millions of people that exploit the system every year, but you can't punish everyone for it, especially when we've proven time and again that we're willing to play by the rules by going through the proper procedures. And all we can do is sigh in disbelief and try again by sending more money to feed the machine.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

If the online DS-160 had enough information then they wouldn't refuse the applicants based on "not enough additional information", which is what they did 2 times for my MIL. After the first refusal they want to see documents in addition to what you tried to submit the first time. They want to see what's changed. You're not allowed to submit documents unless requested, and when they don't request them the additional documents are worthless. However, they can fail you for lack of these documents that they don't request. Fair??

And to make matters even more infuriating, you can't talk to a decent human being over there with enough authority to assist you. The officers see over a hundred applicants on average a day and they're not held accountable for each person. You're just another number to them and the officer's decision is final.

I just don't see how a country founded by immigrants that professes to be so tolerant and accepting to other people, with emphasis on freedom and liberty can deny parents from visiting their children. Yes there are millions of people that exploit the system every year, but you can't punish everyone for it, especially when we've proven time and again that we're willing to play by the rules by going through the proper procedures. And all we can do is sigh in disbelief and try again by sending more money to feed the machine.

They don't owe your parents a visa, they have to qualify by their own merits, Applying for a tourist visa is always a #######-shoot. And also CO has full discretion when making a decision, they can deny an applicant for mediocre dress, or even the way the applicant sound.

Edited by katiemanny

AOS TIMELINE

AOS package mailed on 12/16/08

AOS package delivered on 12/19/08

Check cashed on 12/26/08

NOA1 received on 12/30/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

AOS interview on 04/30/09

EAD Card production ordered on 03/17/09

EAD Card received on 03/21/09

AOS interview APPROVED on 04/30/09

Card production ordered on 05/27/09

Welcome letter received on 06/05/09

Card production ordered again on 06/15/09

Permanent Resident Card received on 07/09/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

I-751 package mailed on 02/28/2011

I-751 package delivered on 03/02/2011

Check payment cashed on 03/04/2011

NOA1 received on 03/08/2011

Biometrics appointment on 04/05/2011

Card production ordered on 05/06/2011

I-751 Petition Approved on 05/06/2011

Approval letter received on 05/12/2011

Green Card finally received on 07/29/2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I was never asked for additional info, from what I saw and have since read this is the norm.

In the vast majority of cases the deed is done, either way, before you show up at the window.

There seem to be a few cases where it might hang in the balance.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

All the documents you thought were important should had been submitted to CO and not taken as additional documents.

Your online DS-160 has enough information. :)

Well you seem to have all the bases covered. Are you argueing with yourself now?

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

CO has full discretion when making a decision, they can deny an applicant for mediocre dress, or even the way the applicant sound.

I agree some CO's do this, but they shouldn't. The FAM specifically instructs's CO's not to make arbitrary decisions.

They don't owe your parents a visa, they have to qualify by their own merits, Applying for a tourist visa is always a #######-shoot.

I agree also that they don't owe you anything, but at the same time the applicant is paying for a service. The CO should at minimum consider all the evidence, and provide a reason for denial.

I'm not keeping track, but I have noticed several posts where people say they get a denial and are encouraged to try again but no reason is given for the denial.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I'm not keeping track, but I have noticed several posts where people say they get a denial and are encouraged to try again but no reason is given for the denial.

This is correct. Twice when my MIL was denied for a visa they simply handed the denial letter to her, stood up, and walked off. Each time the letter says "Not enough ties to home country", and the applicant is not given the chance to question the decision.

Timeline

This is correct. Twice when my MIL was denied for a visa they simply handed the denial letter to her, stood up, and walked off. Each time the letter says "Not enough ties to home country", and the applicant is not given the chance to question the decision.

Not enough ties to the home country is a valid reason for denial, one of the most common actually. Like you said the problem in your inlaws case is they are not able to give any additional information - it appears the decision has been made based on the DS-160 alone.

We often hear that the decision is "completely at the discretion of the CO" or "tourist visa's are a crapshoot". The problem is it has never been the intent of the law to make the process a "crapshoot". It actually should be (and in reality often is) a very predictable process.

Unfortunately Ukraine is a country that has a high rate of visa fraud. Because of that, it's hard to get the benefit of the doubt. If you fit the demographic, you have a strike against you before you even apply, and it can be impossible to overcome. In essence, if you live in a high fraud country it's not a crapshoot - the result is very predictable - a denial.

So to that extent, I understand that they may have made their decision before the interview. Still if that is the case, I don't get the "thank you - come again" attitude. If there's no chance of approving a visa, why not have a letter that says "don't come back unless something changes."

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I often thought for most applications they could just mail an approval or a denial. I guess there is a Regulation that says you have to be interviewed. I know a friend of mine, 12 ish years ago, got a B2 by mail.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I often thought for most applications they could just mail an approval or a denial. I guess there is a Regulation that says you have to be interviewed. I know a friend of mine, 12 ish years ago, got a B2 by mail.

Maybe it depends on the consulate or country. I have heard of denials without an interview. Some consulates used to require that specific documents be submitted with the DS-160 and if they did not receive them, denial was automatic.

If they really make do make up their minds ahead of time and don't intend to look at additional evidence, I personally would rather just get a denial letter in the mail. I'm sure my inlaws feel the same - for them, it's a 22 hour train ride to Kiev.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.